Tarot Ethics

Under this forum The Tarot Professor can and will be able to set the students assignments and homework. Which then must be submitted back here itself. This forum can be accessed only by MysticBoard.com Members.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:08 pm

Also did you know it is against the law for anyone under 18 to make an online purchase?

George

Post by George » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:25 pm

Gem wrote:Also did you know it is against the law for anyone under 18 to make an online purchase?
nope did not know that!  intresting!   :smt006
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

George

Post by George » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:49 pm

This is my beginning of Tarot ethics (still a work in progress)  but figure i'd post now.  will add more later!   :smt003

Tarot Ethics
Friday, September 28, 2007

Mission statement:

My Tarot readings are based on human intuition that is based on my faith that humans have the ability, beyond the physical, to give intuitive readings.
I define human intuition as the ability to provide a Tarot reading from feelings and human emotions and not by any kind of tangible means.  
My Tarot readings are only for entertainment and based on the faith that any human can read Tarot cards from intuition.
All my readings are based on good intentions that I can provide a service in a good and honest way.
I will be open minded, honest and remain non-judgmental.
There is no race, sexuality or creed that would stop me from reading for you or your friends.

Rules:

No reading to minors (under 18 years of age) without a parent or guardians present to provide a written permission note, before the readings begins.
All Readings are confidently and will not be shared with anyone without the permission of the querent (person getting the reading).
Parents or guardians please keep in mind that I will not share anything said in a reading without the consistent of the minor (querent).  In knowing this, if you do not agree then all moneys will be refunded, before the reading and the reading will not be done.
All payments for readings are due before the reading.
The price of the reading will be made clear before the reading.
There will be no extra cost after the reading.

I do not and will not offer or do any kind of curses etc.
I am not a replacement for good sound medical, legal, etc advice.  Seek professionals concerning such matters.
I do not read “death”.  I cannot and will not tell you if someone is going to die or might die, no Tarot reader could.

Gem

Post by Gem » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:39 pm

Hi George,

How does writing all that make you feel?

I also think you mean consent of the minor?

It is quite a big step to start writing your own ethics and something that is to be expected when becoming more experienced and reading more frequently I think  :)

Well done :)

George

Post by George » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:48 pm

Gem wrote:Hi George,

How does writing all that make you feel?

I also think you mean consent of the minor?

It is quite a big step to start writing your own ethics and something that is to be expected when becoming more experienced and reading more frequently I think  :)

Well done :)
it felt good to sit down and right something for a change and visit the board.  yes, consent of the minor is what i meant.  i was typing fast and trying to get done.  :smt053

ttyl :smt006

Sabra

Draft of my Code of Ethics

Post by Sabra » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:29 pm

I will stress to the client that no reading is set in stone and that no reading should be allowed to hinder free will.

I will never judge the client; It's not my place.

All readings will be strictly confidential unless the client gives me permission to do otherwise if the need arises.

I am not a member of the medical profession and will not attempt a diagnosis or treatment.  If necessary, I will direct a client to seek medical attention from a qualified professional.

Clients will always always be treated with the utmost respect and compassion.

I will not do readings regarding death or pregnancy.

For legal reasons, I will not offer readings to minors.  Under special circumstances, along with written parental consent, exceptions will be made.

If for any reason I am not able to do the reading, I will discontinue it.  By the same token the  client has the full right to terminate the reading at any point.

I will not read for someone that has had a large number of readings recently.

Discussion of prices and payment will be settled before the reading.  There will be no hidden charges.

While readings may be beneficial, they should be considered to be for entertainment purposes only.

I will not do readings for (or regarding) a third party.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:49 am

I am doing more and more readings these days face to face within my Reiki group of classmates and other circles that I am part of. These readings are always in the open and in front of everyone present. I am beginning to feel uncomfortable about it and one of these days I will ask to be one-to-one and alone with the querent. I am beginning to feel the querent's privacy is being invaded, but as these meetings do not take place in my own home/environment, I am still compelled to do it in front of the others.
I always stress that they should not ask a Yes or No question and so far they have all been following that suggestion nicely.

We do it for 'entertainment' and I have not asked nor been offered any money for my readings.

I have read all the postings on the tarot ethics and so far I agree with most, if not all, of them.

I was tempted to give a reading to my 16 year old nephew the other day, as he was having some issues at school, but I could not connect even after laying the cards down........ I thought a boy this young does not need a reading...... I kept on looking and looking at the cards and could not even do a mental reading for him...... While I was looking at the cards, I got carried away and started doing a reading for a friend of mine in the psycic circle. I felt weird about it as to how I did get carried away. I kept the details of the spread and told her about it.  She was very interested to know but I had to warn her that the initial spread was laid down by having my newphew in mind. After the reading, her feedback was quite positive about the reading and she resonated with the cards and the reading as a whole.

Just wanted to share this with you.
cedars

Reikiwitch929

Post by Reikiwitch929 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:11 am

I really like the idea of "giving it to them straight".  Letting the querent know that Tarot is for guidance only and not a "set in stone" kind of thing.  I guess you really have to put that legal stuff in there too.  That is, if you plan on getting paid to do readings.
I have not made up my mind about that yet.  It is a difficult subject and not always easy to know what the right or best thing to do is.  Ahhh, I've got time to figure it all out I guess.  :)

I got a question though:  What about letting the querent know that sometimes Tarot speaks to what is really on the heart rather than the question asked?  That has happened to me occasionally during self readings.  I will ask a question and Tarot takes me in a completely different direction, not really answering what I asked, but showing me something more important and meaningful at that point in time.  Maybe I'm just weird?? LOL

Blessings and Peace,

Reikiwitch929
"You know nothing til intuition agrees."
-Richard Bach

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:02 pm

Hallo, Reikiwitch929!

Not weird at all! In fact, it has happened so consistently to me that I tend to tell my seekers in advance of what to expect. They will usually ask about love chances with a possible partner and the cards will come out with the conflicts they are going through at that moment. They usually prove they are in no right frame of mind to start a relationship, anyway!

Gem, sorry to butt in unexpectedly. I just signed in today and I'm having trouble keeping up with everything I'm interested in, specially your course. I promise to sit down and do my homework as soon as I find out how far advanced everything is: I wouldn't want to bore you all by posting about the Fool at this stage! Still, any tips about how to join the course this late will be much appreciated.

Thank you! ;)
Sunshine from the islands of eternal spring ;)

Gem

Post by Gem » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:19 pm

You work through the course at your own pace :) There is no rush. It actually seems to work better if everyone takes their own time when they can fit it in with their real lives :)

It's lovely to have an enthusiastic learner!  Makes it all so worthwhile!

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:08 pm

:smt045

Thank you for taking the trouble to guide us in this lovely tour of Tarot.

I'll be on the lookout for any news on the 2008 Tarot course.

:smt006
Sunshine from the islands of eternal spring ;)

Mandimedea

Post by Mandimedea » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:02 pm

I have not written my code of ethics yet, but definately agree with everything on this post.  I want to learn tarot as an interest, but I am interested in reading to people and I agree with all the rules.  I would state that it is for entertainment purpose, parental consent of minor needed, will not discriminate anyone for a reading, will not predict future or give professional advice.  I will, however, suggest they seek professional guidance in an area if I feel the cards are telling me so, and will give querent advice from what cards tell me, but wont discuss death or future predictions.  I will never give out confidential information, nor will I give 3rd party readings or answer question about 3rd party.  If I charge for readings it will be clear beforehand what I would charge and work on a refund policy as well if needed.  I will have an open-mind and non judgemental also.  I will have nothing to do with curses, they scare me, as well as I want to read as guidance and help.   I am actually following the course and want to complete the course before I start doing readings in any professional manner.

otato

Post by otato » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:36 am

I agree that it's important to have a code of ethics when it comes to readings. Generally I don't read for other people because they come into it with preconceptions. If I'm ever to perform this skill, the tarot in terms of other people, then I'm going to have to find the language to help the client leave their preconceptions at the door. Otherwise it's just bunk fortune-telling, not an inward journey

Return to “Tarot Homework”