Part One - The Major Arcana - 1

Under this forum The Tarot Professor can and will be able to set the students assignments and homework. Which then must be submitted back here itself. This forum can be accessed only by MysticBoard.com Members.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Gem

Part One - The Major Arcana - 1

Post by Gem » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:37 pm

The first card with a number is The Magician. The Fool has started his journey and meets an all powerful Magician. In this card the magician has one hand raised to the heavens and one lowered pointing at the earth, his power and resources can be used and drawn from above or below. Usually the only card to have a symbol of all four suits portrayed somewhere in the picture, perhaps meaning that the magician has the ability to use power from all of them? The infinity sign is another powerful symbol used here.

Lets discuss this card, please post pictures of The Magician from any other decks here too.

Thanks
Last edited by Gem on Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

chrisdee

Post by chrisdee » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:50 pm

Ive tried to post my pictures up but i cant do it

The Magician to me has just started in the real world not yet having experience hes willing to learn and as the ability to learn all the qualities that make life what it is are before him he only has to use them

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:03 pm

Ancestral Tarot Image   Druidcraft TarotImage Mythic Tarot Image

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:04 pm

Oh Chris , what problem are you having posting pics?

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:57 pm

the magician is a powerful card but I think it has a very dark side to it, thats the lies, deceit and treachery.  the magician is a master manipulator and can cause you problems in a reading.

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:43 pm

Is the magician a male force then or female or both?

starryskies

Post by starryskies » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:38 pm

To me the magician represents leadership and decision making. Things will work out ok with a bit of magical assistance perhaps. Ancient knowledge.

lavirgo

Post by lavirgo » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:51 pm

when i think of the fool and dog, how they weren't looking where they were going because their eyes were focused on something up in the air,  i see this magican as symbolic.  He holds something in one hand high above his head beneath it is a cup, is this what the fool and dog were focused on... an emotional fulfilment?  

the magicans other hand is pointing down as if saying you got to go that way or there are things that need to be done b4 being able to grasp what is in the air/ out of reach at the moment.

because of the thing, the figure 8 above magicans head balance and strength is the only way to harness any opportunities coming.

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:35 pm

The figure 8, laid sideways like that above his head is the symbol of infinity, some say a halo.....the complete circle of energy.....  Lovely to see you Lavirgo :)

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:47 am

Traditionally the magician is seen as male.  However in the true spirit of new man he has alot of female attributes so he must be in touch with his inner female lol!

chrisdee

Post by chrisdee » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:20 am

i have the pictures on the computer  but i don't know how to put them on the site

Ancestral Tarot
He holds high the wand of creativity He is also pointing down representing his feet are planted firmly on the ground This tells me he will use his gifts wisely to make things happen in his life

Druidcraft Tarot
He says to me I have the power of heaven and earth to make things happen-But he looks like a shell ,He has still to develop the skills needed

Mythic Tarot
symbolising he as the power in him(his stance)He is at a cross road in his life with a need to know which way to go but before him he as the answers hes looking for

I would say this card as a masculine feel to it

ellis

The Magician

Post by ellis » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:07 pm

This card acn be very confusing indeed. I see this card a lot for people who have an interest in the occuly and even psychic abilities as yet undeveloped. The magician for me represents self control and self discipline. The ability to manipulate the objects and people around us to our bidding and evn as simple as having the 'Midas' touch or 'Magic' touch. I would often tell people that they are able to solve problems that others seem incapable of having the magic touch so to speak.

In the Gilded tarot the magician is quite distinguished so, no longer niaive but there is still a level of niaivity about him being only number 1 in the majors. He can wield his power but doesnt really understand how.
Attachments
magician.jpg
magician.jpg (17.74 KiB) Viewed 8622 times
I believe that one can have a personal, spiritual relationship with God without practicing religion

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:19 pm

Ellis  What a spooky picture! Some might argue that being number one in the journey of cards might mean he IS ranked number one? Definately juggling all the suits there too as well as the power of the atom?

Chris at the bottom of a new post there is an option to add an attachment, browse for your pics on your pc then upload and it should attach
Attachments
Gem99.jpg
Gem99.jpg (3.04 KiB) Viewed 8620 times

George

Re: 1 - The Magician

Post by George » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:49 am

Gem wrote:The first card with a number is The Magician. The Fool has started his journey and meets an all powerful Magician. In this card the magician has one hand raised to the heavens and one lowered pointing at the earth, his power and resources can be used and drawn from above or below. Usually the only card to have a symbol of all four suits portrayed somewhere in the picture, perhaps meaning that the magician has the ability to use power from all of them? The infinity sign is another powerful symbol used here.

Lets discuss this card, please post pictures of The Magician from any other decks here too.

Thanks
Not a favorite card of mine and I’m not sure why.

It is the image that seems to represent the whole of deck of Tarot.

We’ve learned that The Fool is at the beginning of his journey and the other 21 Major Arcana represents his path on that journey.   If I keep that in my mind I’m sure that the meaning of the cards with also take that path! (Should be fun to see how that turns out).
Right now I can’t remember anything from my book on the meaning of The Magician.  

This is Card I and its images encompass all of the things of Tarot (life).  He stands behind a table that bares a penticle, a cup, a wand, and a sword.  They represent our money and bussiness, our spiritualism and compassion, our work and labor power, and our will power and strength.  The conclusion would be that the Magician standing before us offering the four things of life (Tarot) in his act.  Does he represent new ideals and skills to The Fool that is just starting out with nothing?.  When offered will he choose a pentacle, a cup, a wand or a sword?  The Magician could be the teacher or the aspects of life that gets offered to the qurrent.  Xxxxx spelling
What becomes interesting is the flora surrounding is green and red but at his feet in his white with just a hint of color that surrounds him.  He first step, past the table, is pure (if he choose to go forward). If he goes forward will he pick up anything from the table?  And if he does pickup anything from the table with he reach the green and red?
The Magician is dressed in red robes with a white tunic.  On the inside white and the outside red.  
Above his head is the symbol for infinity, he points to the heavens with a wand and points to the earth with one finger.  Around his waist is a snake devouring himself.  
Infinity could represent everything that we are-we exist!  Him pointing to heaven could mean the sky, moon, planets, etc. or the in the spiritual sense “Heaven”.  The earth could be dirt or the things we work for and in the spiritual sense “dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.”   Maybe we can conclude that The Magician is everything that we can be or become?

now, i'm going to go read the rest of this thread and see what everyone else has come up with!  :smt014
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

George

Post by George » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:12 pm

suzisco wrote:the magician is a powerful card but I think it has a very dark side to it, thats the lies, deceit and treachery.  the magician is a master manipulator and can cause you problems in a reading.
At frist i was taken back buy your meaning of the card then i went to my book and was reading it to see what it had to say in general.  Now, i see what you mean the reverse meaning is "cunning, deceit, charlatanry, exploitation, twisting things and words around to suit one's own purpose.

of course, then i got to thinking that if this is a learning card in our first step from the fool then you would have to be right because those bad things are also a part of the human condition of what you can do or learn!  

great job and thanks for opening my mind more on this card!  :smt020
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

Return to “Tarot Homework”