Part One - The Major Arcana - 1

Under this forum The Tarot Professor can and will be able to set the students assignments and homework. Which then must be submitted back here itself. This forum can be accessed only by MysticBoard.com Members.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

dreamfairy

the Magician

Post by dreamfairy » Wed May 23, 2007 7:34 pm

Thank you mystic crystal, all the explanations on the magician have been very good. Certainly some intelligent & intuitive people out there!  Dreamfairy
Peace & Light.

Chooky

Post by Chooky » Sun May 27, 2007 11:27 am

I see the magician as a person with great skills, to achieve anything that they want, as they have all the tools they need laid out before them.  I see him as a very powerful person being able to harness everything, but I aslo see him as a huge trickster, as if pointing the way with his left hand, but the other hand pointing down, is actually the true path.

George

Post by George » Sun May 27, 2007 4:14 pm

Chooky wrote:I see the magician as a person with great skills, to achieve anything that they want, as they have all the tools they need laid out before them.  I see him as a very powerful person being able to harness everything, but I aslo see him as a huge trickster, as if pointing the way with his left hand, but the other hand pointing down, is actually the true path.
"huge trickster"  now, that's a good one!  :smt101 that takes it out of a spiritual meaning  and adds a more earhly human thing!  its like i have all these tools for you to go forward but in fact you should be looking behind you or something that!  

just wanted to say that was a great thought that you had!  :smt023
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

Chooky

Post by Chooky » Mon May 28, 2007 12:56 am

Thanks George, appreciate that feedback.  I am new to all of this, and find it a bit daunting, not the task, but posting my own thoughts about stuff.

Cheers Chooky

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon May 28, 2007 4:16 pm

I agree with George, great thoughts :) Your confidence will build with each post, I am looking forward to reading them all xx

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon May 28, 2007 4:35 pm

Had to add these pics too, Left is Tarot of The New Vision by Pamela Colman Smith, Right is Universal Waite....

weezerwall

The Magician

Post by weezerwall » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:14 pm

Ok, I'll admit it - THE MAGICIAN IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE CARDS! :-)  I guess it's because he's a symbol of the skill and mastery that can be achieved when one is willing to LIVE and LEARN on ALL LEVELS.  This gives me hope - especially when I have to visit some of the darker places within myself (like the fear zone).

The magician encourages us to accept the knowledge offered and then try to synthesize it into POTENTIAL.  (worldly and spiritual). In other words, the magician tells us something about who we "are" and reaffirms our "power" to create and re-create our own paths or destinies.  Of course, in doing so, we also influence the lives of others (for better or worse).  

Because this potential/power is so great, it can be tempting to keep the secret to ourselves (not try to help others find this same potential in themselves) using our gifts only for our own gain.  We do this by "magic" or trickery - we stop being magicians and become con-artists and  charlatans. Or perhaps we find ourselves in situations where our potential makes us seem so "different" that we are threatened, persecuted or branded as heretics. (History is filled with tons of stories about the desperate fate of those who really chose to live their "magician's potential" - as healers, for instance).  

The idea of tapping into our potential is captivating. The Fool would do well not to be "blinded" by the magician's promise of infinity since the magician (like all of the cards) is simply a mirror showing us "what is" and "what is not".  Depending on our intention, we may either be enlightened or deceived.

The magician reminds us not to "waste" our gifts and how important it is to release our potential in "positive" and loving directions. (Handle with care).

Blessings,
Weezer

George

Post by George » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:48 pm

Gem wrote:Image

Had to add these pics too, Left is Tarot of The New Vision by Pamela Colman Smith, Right is Universal Waite....
now, if we go back to what Chooky said about the Magician being a trickster and we takes Gem's new Magician Card with the little monkey.  maybe he becomes our trickster. monkey shines.  :smt002   look how guilty he looks as he tucks at the ropes. he did something wrong!  :smt003

George

Re: The Magician

Post by George » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:53 pm

weezerwall wrote:Ok, I'll admit it - THE MAGICIAN IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE CARDS! :-)  I guess it's because he's a symbol of the skill and mastery that can be achieved when one is willing to LIVE and LEARN on ALL LEVELS.  This gives me hope - especially when I have to visit some of the darker places within myself (like the fear zone).

The magician encourages us to accept the knowledge offered and then try to synthesize it into POTENTIAL.  (worldly and spiritual). In other words, the magician tells us something about who we "are" and reaffirms our "power" to create and re-create our own paths or destinies.  Of course, in doing so, we also influence the lives of others (for better or worse).  

Because this potential/power is so great, it can be tempting to keep the secret to ourselves (not try to help others find this same potential in themselves) using our gifts only for our own gain.  We do this by "magic" or trickery - we stop being magicians and become con-artists and  charlatans. Or perhaps we find ourselves in situations where our potential makes us seem so "different" that we are threatened, persecuted or branded as heretics. (History is filled with tons of stories about the desperate fate of those who really chose to live their "magician's potential" - as healers, for instance).  

The idea of tapping into our potential is captivating. The Fool would do well not to be "blinded" by the magician's promise of infinity since the magician (like all of the cards) is simply a mirror showing us "what is" and "what is not".  Depending on our intention, we may either be enlightened or deceived.

The magician reminds us not to "waste" our gifts and how important it is to release our potential in "positive" and loving directions. (Handle with care).

Blessings,
Weezer
for sure could be a reminder of what we have and our potential  and not waste it.  your post, without doubt, is inspired by our own worth.   :smt020

Gem

Post by Gem » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:56 pm

I love the little monkey too,

Lovely post weezerwall, thanks :)

Chooky

Post by Chooky » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:49 pm

George Said:
now, if we go back to what Chooky said about the Magician being a trickster and we takes Gem's new Magician Card with the little monkey.  maybe he becomes our trickster. monkey shines.     look how guilty he looks as he tucks at the ropes. he did something wrong!  

The other thing that I have been thinking about is that the magician is known for his art of misdirection, so I was probably going down this line of thinking with him being a trickster.  He gets us to focus on one thing, yet the trick/skill is the ability to do the other thing whilst everyone is distracted with the obvious.

Chooky

PS: not sure how you do that thing with your quotes! So that is why mine looks silly

weezerwall

Post by weezerwall » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:22 am

George wrote:for sure could be a reminder of what we have and our potential  and not waste it.  your post, without doubt, is inspired by our own worth.   :smt020

Indeed, it was, George!   :)  It's only when we forget our worth and start feeling "small" that we resort to the trickery aspect that's been mentioned in a lot of the posts here.  (I think :smt017  ?)  

Warmest,
Weezer   :)

Gem

Post by Gem » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:28 pm

Psssst Chooky, when you go to reply if you look top right hand corner of the post you are replying to has a quote tab, press it and by magic a reply should appear with the quote there, then you can do what you want.

George

Post by George » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:18 pm

weezerwall wrote:
George wrote:for sure could be a reminder of what we have and our potential  and not waste it.  your post, without doubt, is inspired by our own worth.   :smt020

Indeed, it was, George!   :)  It's only when we forget our worth and start feeling "small" that we resort to the trickery aspect that's been mentioned in a lot of the posts here.  (I think :smt017  ?)  

Warmest,
Weezer   :)
thats actually a good connection to the "trickery" part which helps me more to understand that part of the interpretation by Chooky.  

also Chooky now says,
The other thing that I have been thinking about is that the magician is known for his art of misdirection, so I was probably going down this line of thinking with him being a trickster.  He gets us to focus on one thing, yet the trick/skill is the ability to do the other thing whilst everyone is distracted with the obvious.
which means now i trutly understand what Chooky was getting at.  and of course A Magaician's only jop is to trick us and makes us thinking that he has done magic, etc.  i'm not sure how i miss that!   :smt017

thanks everybody you all just taught me something new!  :smt006

weezerwall

Post by weezerwall » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:07 am

:smt002  Hi, George.  Just wanted to say that your posts have really been helpful to me, too!!

Stay well!  Warmest,
Weezer

Return to “Tarot Homework”