Part One - The Major Arcana - 1

Under this forum The Tarot Professor can and will be able to set the students assignments and homework. Which then must be submitted back here itself. This forum can be accessed only by MysticBoard.com Members.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Ben2009

Post by Ben2009 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:26 pm

Very nice looking card, he knows how to use the four things on the table the sword is the nearest from him, if he's talking to us then maybe he wanna make us chose the wand to build something, he's very wise but young and he's confusing us with the directions and all things on the table. in his right hand is maybe the most important thing of all but i dont know what it is.

lilmogirl

01 – My definition of the Magician

Post by lilmogirl » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:18 pm

Using the Waite Deck

The magician is a noble fellow and well educated in things that most others are oblivious to. He has one hand pointing to the earth, which signifies his knowledge of earthly things. His other hand is raised, signifying his knowledge of the higher things such as the celestial and the unknown. The wand that has a flame on both ends signifies his ability to draw the hidden powers from higher things such as the celestial and the mysteries of the unknown and from the lower things of the earth. The pentacle, the wand, the sword and the cup sitting on the table in front of him shows his knowledge in the seen and the unseen, between the heavens and the earth. The double halo on his head stands for purity in his actions, clarity in his knowledge and sincerity in his dealings with others. And that he his surrounded by flowers from above and below signifies that he posses the capacity to be compassionate and caring when necessary.

Update - April 18, 2010 - Hello everyone I have posted an update on my interpretation on the Magician. Please read it below.
Last edited by lilmogirl on Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hummingbirds

Post by hummingbirds » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:08 am

Using images found online... is poor ;-; Rider-Waite.

Hmmm since I like stories, I think I'm going to relate the cards to stories.

The magician reminds me of Hermes, because he points the wand to the plants... In the painting "Primavera" by Botticelli, Hermes is also pointing his wand to the plants. Hermes is the god of delivery, of thieves. He also created the lyre, the instrument so favoured by Orpheus. I'm guessing, the Magician is also a creative fellow, hardworking and sometimes mischievous.

He also reminds me of the Hydra. I once read somewhere about the Hydra, whose one head pulls the body upwards, wanting to be good, to be closer to god and whose other head pulls toward the ground, wanting the pleasures of the flesh. And the Hydra goes no where, is stuck in Limbo. The hand of the magician that is held up, the hand with power because the hand holds the wand, represents the Magician's desire to do good in the world. The hand that points to the ground is the powerless hand, it represents the hidden desire for the "desires of the flesh", for sin. Like the Hydra who is stuck in Limbo, the Magician is also.

The infinity loop above his head is the symbol of his knowledge, which is infinite. (I keep thinking "Gandalf".) Before him are the four symbols of the minor arcana: pentacle/coins, sword, wand, cup. These also represent his knowledge of the other suites.

The Magician is the character that has the power, the knowledge, but is tempted by evil. Sometimes he triumphs in conquering evil, like Jesus in the desert. Sometimes he falls into temptation, which damns him to hell, like Voldemort (well, he actively seeks evil, but it's the same idea).

lilmogirl

The Magician

Post by lilmogirl » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:11 pm

Before you read my interpretation of The Magician, the deck I am using is the Universal Waite deck.

My Interpretation:
The candle burning at both ends suggests that The Magician is a hard worker, often working late nights and waking early in the morning to complete his tasks. The sideways figure eight above his head is the infinity symbol. In mathematics and philosophy the infinity symbol is a concept that refers to ‘a quantity with out bound or end’, so it may be symbolic of The Magicians endless toils with what he does in life. On the table we see The Magician standing over the cup, the sword, the pentacle and the wand. This is symbolic of his knowledge in all things. The infinity symbol may also portray the Magician’s endless knowledge in all things. That the cup, the sword, the pentacle and the wand are all lay out on the table, represents that the Magician is laying out the ground work in these matters and that these items are laying on the table indicates keeping knowledge always nourished, so it can grow and flourish. The roses surrounding the Magician indicate hope and joy and expresses beauty and grace, this may indicate his love for what he does in life, always hoping to expand on his horizons – while keeping in mind the beauty that surrounds him and he does all with grace. The white lilies represent chastity as well as virtue, in addition to purity of thought and action in sheer innocence. This means that the magician is a virtuous person keeping his motives in the purest form of innocence.

lilmogirl

Return to “Tarot Homework”