Part One - The Major Arcana - 1

Under this forum The Tarot Professor can and will be able to set the students assignments and homework. Which then must be submitted back here itself. This forum can be accessed only by MysticBoard.com Members.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

xaxaa

Post by xaxaa » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:22 pm

I love seeing different pictures too stillwalkn  :)
That's why I keep posting different pictures of every card...I guess the others like it too...(I'm happy you enjoy them  :) )

Mia93

Thoth - Magus

Post by Mia93 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:26 am

This is my favorite of the Majors and one that I focus on daily before beginning my day.  It tell me first and foremost that I'm responsible for my own life and fate.  

In this card, I see that the Magus may or may not have determined his True Will, but all of the elements to create his reality are within reach.  He only needs to maintain balance and grace.
Attachments
s_magus.jpg
The Magus
s_magus.jpg (12.72 KiB) Viewed 3764 times

avaiyak

The Magician

Post by avaiyak » Fri May 02, 2008 10:09 am

I want to be more like the magician!
Vera Jean Cooper

Renata1

The magician and my self discover...:-)

Post by Renata1 » Thu May 08, 2008 2:11 am

As a path, the fool now represents, to me, a person who’s like a teenager, who does not have worries, but – being an adult – start to concern about “serious” things. This is interesting because when I clue the fool with the magician, I realize I can clue cards to cards, composing a history, making sense with the group of cards – when they’re together. It’s fabulous!
The Magician alone represents something (the responsibility, the learning, the self application). When with another card, represents another thing…Wow! I never realized this with so much power like I’m realizing now!

Hugs,
Renata

Henhenetti

Post by Henhenetti » Tue May 13, 2008 10:15 pm

1 - The Magician ~ Infinite, Powerful, Intelligent/Knowledge, In Control

In The Magician I see a 'go-between' of Heaven & Hell, right & wrong, the inner self the one we show to the world, the unconscious & the conscious thought.  The white wand he holds in his right hand and out stretched to the heavens indicates something of Devine nature to me.  Maybe The Magician is channeling Devine Light/favors/blessings from Heaven to those below, Earth or Hell, since his left hand is firmly pointing to, not drawing from.  The infinity symbol above his head indicates eternal life & dominion, which reinforces the Divinity conception.  His garment is white, symbol of all that is right.  He has a snake wrapped around his waist as a belt which is holding onto it's own tail~ I can't help but think it has to represent something- regeneration? Renewal? Or the old pictorial of Satan as a snake? To know good, we must recognize evil? The outer robe is red, a color of royalty, high position, passion, sex.  I don't think the latter two can be applied here though.  There are white and red flowers above & below The Magician~ taken with the other items of the same colors, I believe the concept that The Magician is a card representing a higher power, a very strong card, is being hammered home.  The Magician has representatives (magical items?) from all 4 suits on the table before him~ maybe indicating that he can draw on power from all, but also possibly indicating that he can always trump them, intensify them, redirect them, or maybe flat out disable them altogether by lowering his right arm.  The Magician also wears a white band around his forehead~ possibly signifying pure, righteous thoughts.  I can see only good in this card.  I don't think his card being in the 1 position just happened by chance either.
If you can't take the heat,
       Don't tickle
            The Dragon!

Henhenetti

Post by Henhenetti » Tue May 13, 2008 10:18 pm

Gem wrote:Is the magician a male force then or female or both?
Male. I see nothing feminine about him or the card itself.

Have I missed something?
       Don't tickle
            The Dragon!

Henhenetti

Post by Henhenetti » Tue May 13, 2008 10:59 pm

The Magician
Attachments
Magician.jpg
From the Waite (Writer)/Smith (Artist) deck of 1909
Magician.jpg (31.6 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
       Don't tickle
            The Dragon!

vinnilaa

Post by vinnilaa » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:56 am

i think this is a card which is very powerful, because it is the only card which has all the cups, pentacles, sword and wand together... that means master in everything... however, it is also reminding us not to forget ourselves, don't forget bout where u came from... success and power is wonderful but if we don't have our foot on the ground, trouble is ahead...

FragelsGal

Post by FragelsGal » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:19 am

I spent ages studying this card!  I didnt know what to make of it.  

Its like hes celebrating a victory or something, with his wand held high, like hes solved a problem, or overcome something or fixed something.

Lots of good points have been raised in this thread tho!  I can see lots of things that I hadnt noticed before, but dont mean much to me until I learn more I thinks.

dafphodil

Re: Part One - The Major Arcana - 1

Post by dafphodil » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:16 am

Gem wrote:The first card with a number is The Magician. The Fool has started his journey and meets an all powerful Magician. In this card the magician has one hand raised to the heavens and one lowered pointing at the earth, his power and resources can be used and drawn from above or below. Usually the only card to have a symbol of all four suits portrayed somewhere in the picture, perhaps meaning that the magician has the ability to use power from all of them? The infinity sign is another powerful symbol used here.

Lets discuss this card, please post pictures of The Magician from any other decks here too.

Thanks
The Magician introduces all of the resources from Earth, Air, Fire and Water that the world has provided before the Fool; but with them he explains, "For one wishing to perform with a head so high in the clouds, he must keep his feet firmly on the ground." Sprouting from the foundations of a flourished life himself, the Magician's blooms a rose that is now red with experience but is still entwining with lilies of a pure white. It is by their growth that the world's blessings can be produced. He is equipped with the colors he has drawn from both of the flowers, draping a red robe of passion over him to preserve the vibrant innocence of his white one. He holds the white robe in its place with a self-consuming snake, a representation that he has equipped himself well with the fateful conscientiousness of his and everyone's own undeniable nature. The composition of all of these together has resulted in the Magician's thorough understanding of the Divine, hence its infinite existence hovers in mental protection above him.

dafphodil

Post by dafphodil » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:28 am

Notice his wand is pointing above at only red roses, referring to the fact that in order to experience a life full of that which you are passionate for - one must begin by weaving the dreams of doing so with the actions upon it. The flowers represent both the attitude and the elements needed to pursue your ideas.
He demonstrates the importance and requirements for motivating them.
My desire for knowledge is intermittent;to commune with the spirit of the universe,intoxicated with the fumes of divine nectar,to bear my head through atmospheres and over heights unknown to my feet,is perennial and constant.

Clare

the magician

Post by Clare » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:16 am

the magician to me is halting the fool in his tracks, also holding the candle high because of how high the fool looking

deelitefullyme

1 Magician

Post by deelitefullyme » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:41 pm

This card, to me,  means the beginning of a journey where your thoughts are not clouded by unpleasant things.

You are starting from a point where anything can happen and all that happens depends on your own actions and how you interact with the four elements before you (wands, cups, swords, pentacles).

This, too me, means the beginning.

crone

Fool evolving

Post by crone » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:32 pm

The Magician to me is the Fool learning his first lessons, he has all the power which he carried with him on his way. Earth, Air, Water, Fire all represented in this card. Hand to above and hand below, He is a manipulator and trickster, the first steps from the Fool. He has the power and now must learn how to wield it. Aries is associated with the Magician and Wands seem to be his subsuit. A man of action raw and as he evolves so does his power.

Mandimedea

Post by Mandimedea » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:55 am

one hand to sky, one down to ground (conscience vs subconscience)
Magician-tricks you-manipulates you
all suits representing all at your disposal

I think the FOOL started out a journey, blinded and trusting instincts and the MAGICIAN represents him having a tutor/teacher/higher power to provide everything he needs to guide him through his journey and to make a decision, but needs to take his instincts and choose the right path, utilizing all tools around him.  What's real, what's illusion-what is reality, what is fantasy.  Having power to move twd goal, but need to use wisely.  Arrogance can lead to misuse of power.  Hope this makes sense, I am really tired while I am writing this!

Return to “Tarot Homework”