Part One- The Major Arcana - 2

Under this forum The Tarot Professor can and will be able to set the students assignments and homework. Which then must be submitted back here itself. This forum can be accessed only by MysticBoard.com Members.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Mandimedea

Re: 2 - The High Priestess

Post by Mandimedea » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:30 pm

George wrote:
Gem wrote:Image

A very striking picture here, totally different to The Magician? Sitting and peaceful in the moonlight as opposed to the moving sunlit and energetic Magician? The pillars (B stands for Boaz, signifying negation, J stands for Jachin, meaning beginning), dark and light, lots of symbols too....
(3/20/07)
my books shows the pillars to be known as "The black pillar is 'Boaz', the nagative life principle." and "The white pillar one is 'Jakin', the positive life principle. These are the name of pillars in fornt of Solomon's temple.

Without using the book my first thought was a reglious woman sitting in between the white and black; light and dark; good and evil.  
The cross on her chest perhaps is the new religion, the Torah on her lab which was her mother and the cresent moon at her feets represents islam. i just wish i was smart enough to connect the three with the symbols of the card.  

Is this The Fool's first introduction to religion on his journey?  what one will he choose?  Will he learn what is right and wrong?  
The Fool started off meeting the Magician who offered earthly things now the High Priestess who offers spiritual things.
I see that too, good and evil, black and white, right and wrong, etc...
hidden forces, intuition, and unseen wisdom.

hummingbirds

Post by hummingbirds » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:26 am

The High Priestess reminds me of Vesta. Of Vestal Virgins, actually (recently read a book on the topic). Vesta, or Hestia in Greece, is the tender of the fire. In the book I recently read, the Virgins tend to a fire, a hearth of Rome, that represents Vesta. They pray to her for peace, etc.

The High Priestess is obedient - she is sitting. She neither leans to the left nor the right: neutral, or perhaps ambivalence? She seems to be a generally quiet, docile, normal person. She has a book in her hands.. the Torah? Studious too. Kind of boring, actually.

Oh, but she has the moon. Moon, magic. Hekate?

Maybe the boring front is a clever rouse. Maybe if you turn Vesta around, Hekate is on the other side.

lilmogirl

The High Priestess

Post by lilmogirl » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:08 pm

I am using the Universal Waite deck.

My interpretation of The High Priestess is a little lengthy but she has a lot going on for her ~ as  see it.

The High Priestess has a lot going on with her ~ as sits upon her throne representative of her deity and that she holds the Torah in her hand represents a spiritual system or beliefs. That the High Priestess is sitting on a throne further indicates royal power and this mingled with the Torah suggests that her power lies in spiritual matters.

The two pillars on each side of her represent balance or a middle ground; one pillar is black and the other is white suggests that there is a balance between darkness and light or good and evil. The B on the black pillar stands for Boaz and indicates strength. The J on the white pillar stands for Jachin and indicates stability.

Since Boaz is on the black pillar it may indicate strength in darkness or during periods of evil ~ probably using strength to overcome darkness or periods of evil. Since Jachin is on the white pillar it may indicate stability in the light or during periods of goodness.

The curtain behind the priestess has several things going for it. That the curtain is closed signifies secrecy and possibly repression of thoughts, most likely a concealing of personal matters or an aspect of self. Pomegranates are symbolic of abundance, fertility, lusciousness, generosity and union. Since the pomegranates are showing on the curtain it may indicate that the priestess is willing to reveal these things. Bamboo is a Chinese symbol of longevity because of its strength, durability, flexibility and resilience. Since the bamboo is also showing on the curtain it may indicate that she is also willing to reveal these aspects as well.

Water symbolizes the unconscious or emotional state of the mind and is the living essence of the psyche and the flow of life energy. It also signifies spirituality, knowledge, healing and refreshment. That the water is behind the curtain ~ maybe the priestess is not so apt to reveal what’s on her mind.

Land symbolizes nurturance and the need to be grounded, seeking for a strong foundation and some sort of stability. Here again, since the land is behind the curtain the priestess is not so willing to reveal these aspects. Also that the land is off in the distance ~ this may be virtually unattainable.

The moon is a symbol that deals with cycles, time, psychic power, reflection and emerging from one phase to another. That the moon sits at the priestess’ feet indicates that she has a strong foundation and is stable in these aspects; she also has a great sense of understanding in these things.

lilmogirl

Return to “Tarot Homework”