Part One - The Major Arcana - 5

Under this forum The Tarot Professor can and will be able to set the students assignments and homework. Which then must be submitted back here itself. This forum can be accessed only by MysticBoard.com Members.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

starryskies

Post by starryskies » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:16 pm

Old fashioned set of beliefs and values, an older man, a religious man (priest etc).

luv2pur

V - The Hierophant

Post by luv2pur » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:52 am

Hmm I have been putting some thought into what this card makes me feel.  Unfortunately I did not know what the word Hierophant was defined as or stood for ...The word itself is a compound word HIERO = "The Holy" and PHANT is the root for phainein which means "to show".  

I feel a better understanding for this one now... He is dressed in very expensive royal like clothing as well as he is bearing crosses which leads me to believe he is a man of faith or of something holy...

My interpretations would lead me to believe that he stands for prosperiety, wisdom, promotions, faith and the ability to have faith in what u believe in.

George

Re: V - The Hierophant

Post by George » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:25 pm

luv2pur wrote:Hmm I have been putting some thought into what this card makes me feel.  Unfortunately I did not know what the word Hierophant was defined as or stood for ...The word itself is a compound word HIERO = "The Holy" and PHANT is the root for phainein which means "to show".  

I feel a better understanding for this one now... He is dressed in very expensive royal like clothing as well as he is bearing crosses which leads me to believe he is a man of faith or of something holy...

My interpretations would lead me to believe that he stands for prosperiety, wisdom, promotions, faith and the ability to have faith in what u believe in.
intresting root words for sure!  

it was one of the first card i looked up in the dictionary hoping to find a meaning and origin of the word.
from my Webster's Encyclopedic Dictionary here is the meaning of Hierophant.  1. (In Ancient Greece) An offical expounder of rites of worship and sacrifice.  2. Any interpreter of sacred mysteries or esoteric principles.
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

mysticcrystal

Post by mysticcrystal » Sun May 06, 2007 5:45 pm

V The Hierophant: He looks powerful and gives a stern look, but that's only because he is
seriously dedicated to his chosen spiritual path. He has trouble seeing other peoples
points of view on what is the true path of enlightenment. He also stands for traditional
religious ceremonies, such as marriage. In this card, he is giving a blessing to two
"priests" so he is willing to help those in desire of his help.

MysticCrystal

dreamfairy

The Hierophant

Post by dreamfairy » Thu May 24, 2007 10:35 pm

The Hierophant - A religious leader, with traditional moral values.  Giving moral & spiritual guidance to others through their major landmarks in life.  He would have a conventional and traditional outlook, and, I sense he would feel safe and secure within this rigid belief system. However,  if too rigid he might find it difficult to question other belief systems and perhaps through his fear to try anything new would be unable to grow spiritually.
Peace & Light.

Chooky

Post by Chooky » Mon May 28, 2007 1:12 am

I feel he is some type of wise leader, he prehaps leads ceremonies.  He looks like he has a lot of knowledge to share, he looks justly, and in charge.

netthef1

tarot lessons

Post by netthef1 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:32 pm

:smt004 on my picture of the Herophant he is half horse and half man.he caryies a scrol which could be a scroll of the law.What law ? well to me he could be a healer, Preast, or maybe a wise teacher.In a drawing the Herophant may appear in the form of an analyst. Preast, or spritual mentor in life to whom we turn for comfort and help.
Attachments
scan.jpg
scan.jpg (12.46 KiB) Viewed 3001 times
netthef1

weezerwall

Re: Part One - The Major Arcana - 5

Post by weezerwall » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:53 am

Gem wrote:Image

Sitting alone, unfriendly? Powerful?

What are your thoughts on The Heirophant? How do other decks portray this card?
Greetings!  The first thing that strikes me about the Hierophant is his position - like the High Priestess - he's also sitting between two pillars, but without the trappings, he feels a lot less "mysterious" - he's someone I recognize.  

Does anyone feel any kind of  links between these two cards?  

Anyway, he looks like a bishop - and maybe represents the "beliefs" we learn from our parents, teachers and other "authority figures" we meet when growing up.  The Hierophant reflects traditional codes of "behavior" - he is an adviser, a mentor - someone we would consult for help.  He doesn't look "unfriendly", just a bit stern - like the inner teacher that one develops by listening to this type of authority - is it  my conscience?  

:)  Warmest,
Weezer

Gem

Post by Gem » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:37 am

Ooh an orange Weezer lol, lovely and bright :) perhaps it is a symbol of our conscience..... nice idea :)

weezerwall

Post by weezerwall » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:11 am

:smt003  Hi Gem, Just need a bit of color from time to time to brighten up Cyberspace.  Stay well!

Warmest,
Weezer

anandutsav

Post by anandutsav » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:43 pm

Greetings GEM!
Following your interpretations of the tarot cards, I really could not have found any simpler explanations to my queries. You just make it look all so easy. A heartfelt THANKS!!

I feel that The HIEROPHANT could have been YOU. The orthodox preacher/teacher who is respected and devotedly heard. He seems to be the spiritual guide (or better still), the INNER SELF who is always ready with the greatest piece of advice to guide you to do the best. He appears to be the one to trust for all the advice and guidance one wants. His appearance makes me confident that I can find someone who I can look upto whenever I need to understand the deeper meaning of life.
anandutsav

Dcruddy

Heirophant

Post by Dcruddy » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:37 pm

For a long time I didn't like this card.  I brought up memories from past "church" experiences.  The domineering aspect, etc.  Now I see this card more as a helper with no selfish intentions of his own.  Yes, the Heirophant in my opinion represents "conventional rule" - Pope's, preachers, etc. but I've learned from experience we can either take their advice or not ~~ intuition is the key as to whether their advice is worthy or not.  ~Jennifer~
~  Jennifer  ~
"What You Think About, You Bring About"
  - Louise Hay

Magewyntyr

Re: Part One - The Major Arcana - 5

Post by Magewyntyr » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:47 am

Gem wrote:Image

Sitting alone, unfriendly? Powerful?

What are your thoughts on The Heirophant? How do other decks portray this card?
"The role of the hierophant in religion is to bring the congregants into the presence of that which is deemed holy" (Wikipedia-google search)

This card makes me uncomfortable. Here is a man who firmly believes that HIS way is the ONLY way. He is unopened to other ideas or beliefs. He will not tolerate anything he deems unholy. He is dressed in great robes and shows great wealth...which to me shows a hypocrisy of what his god really wanted.

The hierophant is unyielding, strict, and controlling.

Magewyntyr

Post by Magewyntyr » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:27 am

The Hierophant is the ultimate spiritual leader. The puppet is his congregation. He tries to lead them up the ladder to their spiritual destination. The arches over his head indicate the entrance to his temple.

In the stained glass to his left, you see the six pointed star that shows the supremacy of the 12 Tribes. In his hand there's an artifact that represents the link between heavy and earth.

The book says that the divinatory meaning is: Power behind the scenes; Also, teachings and teachers entering one's life.

I'm really not sure of this card. The Hierophant seems to almost mock me. Maybe I've had too many bad experiences with the "good people". But for now, this card is extremely negative.

Gem

Post by Gem » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:15 am

Hi Wyntyr :)

You are doing great!  Lovely to read your posts, but these two have me worrying :(  

This course is designed to get you reading the tarot intuitively. Not using books, not reading the little white leaflets, but you, what the cards mean to you. On this course we shut the books and open our hearts and minds :)

To get the full beneift of the course please make sure you read all the Tarot lessons and tutorials here http://mysticboard.org/viewforum.php?f=80

This course will allow you to use the trigger method of learning, each card you will bond with and by looking at it and studying the card you will find your own triggers that will instantly come to mind whenever that card is before you. No heavy learning and remembering what each card means, it is all within you already :)

Return to “Tarot Homework”