Part One - The Major Arcana - 5

Under this forum The Tarot Professor can and will be able to set the students assignments and homework. Which then must be submitted back here itself. This forum can be accessed only by MysticBoard.com Members.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Delirium

Post by Delirium » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:32 pm

Hi
I know some people are thinking it, so i'll just come out and say it- I dont like this card! when it comes out in a reading I always feel drained by it. I understand the LWB meanings for it but just dont feel they fit with the image. just to explain what i mean if this card followed one representing a holiday the heirophant would be the man at customs that stopped and serched you then made you miss your flight!!!! As an abstract I feel he represents oppresion and I dont mean to offend anyone here when I say this but I link that with the Catholic church hence I agree with the do as I say not what I do a some one mentioned before.
I really would love some one to shine a light on this card for me and give it a possitive spin!

Del x

arianna

Post by arianna » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:06 am

In my deck this is a strong figure with a soft side (the eyes are very welcoming) I do not feel a threat or overpowered but almost like a guide helping me along my path
I wish that your dreams stay big and worries stay small

Sabra

Re: Part One - The Major Arcana - 5

Post by Sabra » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:58 pm

Gem wrote:Image

Sitting alone, unfriendly? Powerful?

What are your thoughts on The Hierophant? How do other decks portray this card?
I don't feel comfortable with this card.  Morals, tradition, and structure can be good, but I see a strong potential for abuse of this power.  In it is organized religion, which supports political and financial power.  

It brings to my mind the traditions that have been a gross violation of human rights, such as slavery, Witch hunts, stoning of women.  The people (especially those in extremist nations) are taught by leaders that horrible things are OK because this or that book says so.  

This card and all about control and producing herd mentality.

winniewoo

RW: Hierophant

Post by winniewoo » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:53 am

Hierophant (or Pope)
Wow a lot going on. He is blessing the priests at his feet. Crossed keys between the priests (kingdoms of heaven and earth in communion). He has a triple crown representing the kingdom of heaven.  I'm told the red of his robe represents the kingdom of earth. White trim on robe symbolizes the purity of God. He has a triple cross in his left hand representing the Trinity.  The Hierophant is a teacher. Teaching conformity to traditional ways of doing things. Whether you like it or not you are learning to conform for the higher good of all.
What lies behind you and what lies before you matters not. However, what lies within you is of great importance.

pirbid

My Hierophant says...

Post by pirbid » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:02 pm

" I'm sitting, unmoving, my position is fixed, so you all must come to me and allow me to pass my knowledge on to you. Only please don't ask me what it all means because I never thought about it: things are just the way they are".

In case anyone is wondering why I chose to make the cards speak... I just thought most of the meanings have already been explored by many of you, so I was trying to get a more immediate experience out of the cards: let them speak to me in a more literal fashion. That covers only a little of the meaning, if any, but at least it's a little different.  :smt003

The first is a fairly conventional image from Robin Wood's deck (the sort that some people tend to reject, from what I've read in this thread).

The second, from the Spiral deck, gives a much wider view of the possible meanings, more spiritual without necessarily tying itself to the Church.

The third, from the Ancestral Path deck, goes even further, as this is the only one I've seen so far with women instead of men depicted. The whole image is so much softer and welcoming than the first. Don't these 3 women look more on the same level? In fact, this card reminds me strongly of the three of Cups, with it's sharing and warmth.

I dislike rigid hyerarchy, and that's probably why I tend to reject the usual image for this card. As you can see, the initial comments I posted for this card belong to the RW version, which are the cards I try to tune into for readings and these exercises.

glenellen

Post by glenellen » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:54 pm

The Hierophant i don't feel anything bad about this card but i do believe its a woman, yes i hear everyone else its a man, but please indulge me it is all about what one See's now this is a good person with the answer to your problems hence the keys, she is also admired she sits tall and proud and has earned her position in the spiritual world but probably lacks some compassion

windspirits

The High Priest

Post by windspirits » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:06 pm

He is one of confidence and power.  He draws his energy for the positive energies of the world.  He is very wise and acknowledges his power.  He holds the sword drawing in the energies and is very influenctial in helping you to make the right decisions.  He is a very wise soul.  He is allowing his energies to flow from the sword into the cup of life so that you might be of sound mind and confident in your decisions.
Attachments
5-The High Priest.jpg
5-The High Priest.jpg (16.52 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
Feel the gentle winds of the windspirits

TravellingChristy

Post by TravellingChristy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:52 pm

The hierophant seems judgemental to me. He is quick to forgive though.  I get a feeling of someone always waiting for something.  Rather it be good or bad, they are waiting for news.
Christy

George

Post by George » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:55 pm

glenellen wrote:The Hierophant i don't feel anything bad about this card but i do believe its a woman, yes i hear everyone else its a man, but please indulge me it is all about what one See's now this is a good person with the answer to your problems hence the keys, she is also admired she sits tall and proud and has earned her position in the spiritual world but probably lacks some compassion
i'm assuming you have the RW deck.  there is an aspect of non-gender for sure with this person.  the face is feminine.  although he/she is usually called the Pope.  because of the catholic factor, which is what makes this interesting would be the vow celibacy making the person asexual.  
overall making the gender unimportant in a reading.  its a religious card, good or bad, can offer words of spiritual or even worldly wisdom.   and sense they are your cards their meanings are yous.  :smt002
you just cave me an interesting thought about the card!  thanks for me think of something new!  

ttyl
:smt006
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

George

Post by George » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:00 pm

TravellingChristy wrote:The hierophant seems judgemental to me. He is quick to forgive though.  I get a feeling of someone always waiting for something.  Rather it be good or bad, they are waiting for news.
you are right about that, the faithful folk are usually waiting for something to happen:  salvation, judgment day, resurrections  etc.  you could say they are waiting for The Good News!   :smt002

yes, he could be a very judgmental person hoping as you say easily to forgive and over his wisdom.

ttyl :smt006
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

farafina

Post by farafina » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:16 pm

This HIEROPHANT to me is a symbol of teachng and learning, rational advice, and religion, dogma... traditional and conservative. You see the two students/disciples at his feet looking towards him from knowledge.
Judgmental? definitely.
Kind of narrow-minded. Morality and religious laws. Things of that nature. In a  spread, he can represent someone's father figure, or even a professor, or someone's boss... a figure of authority that possesses some knowledge about what we are supposed to be doing (in society's rules). Or it is the person we go to see for advice... like a psychologist, a doctor...
Also, this card gives me a message of MODERATION. let's calm down a little and think carefully about what we are supposed to do.

Oh... and I think also, somebody we go to to settle our differences and arguments with others... like a mediator... someone who will try to reason two people who are angry at each other.
Below the picture of the corresponding card in the marseille tarot deck.
Attachments
05pap.jpg
05pap.jpg (15.44 KiB) Viewed 5026 times

mary grace gabriel

THE HIEROPHANT

Post by mary grace gabriel » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:35 pm

I can the lighter part of ones life. Success, Rest, peace and being on top of the world
your angel

appylover

Post by appylover » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:58 am

Well known highly respected religous figure. The Pope. You could go to him for spiritual advice which could give you a different perspective on life. One you have never thought of before.

pirbid

New decks!

Post by pirbid » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:36 pm

Marchetti's Hyerophant is not sitting in front of us but standing in a pose that reminds me of the Hermit, even though he is clearly a bishop with a beautiful stained window behind him. This is my favorite because of the amazing colors.

Taliesin was a Welsh bard, thence the harp standing close-up. I like the fact that this figure is removed from the usual Cristian priest and also that he sits surrounded by beautiful nature with a stream flowing at his feet.

Universal Hierophant is sitting on a strange, high throne that looks a bit like the legs of a crouching animal. He is flanked by two candelabra (even if also on a profile) and sports a couple of nude women instead of the usual acolytes that are entirely missing in the previous two cards.
Sunshine from the islands of eternal spring ;)

beleever

Post by beleever » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:26 pm

I see a lost,troubled girl looking for guidance,  the head and hand of a man in the background  he is holding his hand up and seems to be saying I told you so. I would link it to mean requiring guidance from an authoritive figure.

Return to “Tarot Homework”