Part One - The Major Arcana - 12

Under this forum The Tarot Professor can and will be able to set the students assignments and homework. Which then must be submitted back here itself. This forum can be accessed only by MysticBoard.com Members.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

infinitii525

Post by infinitii525 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:51 pm

The Hanged Man his leg lik george said is making a cross may be to mean do nothing trust in God or have faith. The sun is at his head maybe saying look at the brighter side.

George

Post by George » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:06 pm

infinitii525 wrote:The Hanged Man his leg lik george said is making a cross may be to mean do nothing trust in God or have faith. The sun is at his head maybe saying look at the brighter side.
i would never think, do nothing, per say, but i see what you mean and you may just be right on that.  From a religious stand point that you trust in your god to pull you through or embrace your sacrifice etc.  so you take what they have to give and have faith you will be vindicated by your beliefs and god.  But to give the card more meaning in a reading you may want to think about the things we do ever day.  For instance, my child needs a good education so I have to give up something to pay for his education.  Could be a lot of personal sacrifices or simply just something you do because it is the right thing to do.  

I haven’t been around lately to say hay to all the new folks so welcome and I hope I can be more apart of the class again, real soon!    
:smt006
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

Gem

Post by Gem » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:54 pm

George we all miss you, so hurry back :)

infinitii525

Post by infinitii525 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:55 pm

George wrote:
infinitii525 wrote:The Hanged Man his leg lik george said is making a cross may be to mean do nothing trust in God or have faith. The sun is at his head maybe saying look at the brighter side.
i would never think, do nothing, per say, but i see what you mean and you may just be right on that.  From a religious stand point that you trust in your god to pull you through or embrace your sacrifice etc.  so you take what they have to give and have faith you will be vindicated by your beliefs and god.  But to give the card more meaning in a reading you may want to think about the things we do ever day.  For instance, my child needs a good education so I have to give up something to pay for his education.  Could be a lot of personal sacrifices or simply just something you do because it is the right thing to do.  

I haven’t been around lately to say hay to all the new folks so welcome and I hope I can be more apart of the class again, real soon!    
:smt006
Hi George! I see what your saying I have been keeping a journal and have picked up other meanings from it.

SandiLJ

the hanged man

Post by SandiLJ » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:32 am

I see this man as aperson who is in over his head he is dealing with alot in his life and sometimes he feels as if he would've made wiser decisions in his life then maybe he would not be in over his head he is also tring to search his heart to make sure that he is making the right decisions & not the wrong ones SandiLj
SandiLJohnson

littleone22

Post by littleone22 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:11 pm

The hanged man in the card looks totally under control and the beam over his head could show enlightenment? Not to sure about this card! Maybe it shows that looking at things from a different angle will show you the way! love littleone22 :smt006

grmrsan

Post by grmrsan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:08 am

Forest-
He looks pretty relaxed, kind of like a possum hanging from it's branch. Maybe he's just playing dead for a while. He can't do much about his situation, his hands are behind him, he's tied up, and he would probably need some help getting down, but for all that, he's not fighting it. He's surrendered completly to the moment, and is waiting to see what will happen now. It also makes me think of differant viewpoints, looking at a problem from a differant angle, or turning ideas upside down. Or events on thier heads.  Like Mork from Ork sitting on his head all the time.

Dragon-
This guy however doesn't look too thrilled. He's hanging over the edge of a waterfall, and he doesn't look like he's there on purpose. His leg is down, his arms are dangling, and he looks more like he's unconcious, or just given up.  Nobody looks much like they want to help him either. They're all just curious to see what he's going to do. This one emphasizes surrender, and possibly sacrifice (he could be bait on a line), but not neccesarily a willing sacrifice. The other card was very much in the moment, this one is more focused on what will happen next, and the actions of those around him. Will they just sit and watch till he falls to his death, or will someone decide to rescue him, or eat him?
Attachments
hanged men.jpg
hanged men.jpg (55.98 KiB) Viewed 4308 times

Cheyenne

The Hanged Man

Post by Cheyenne » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:25 pm

The Hanged Man to me seems to be in a dreamlike state. I don't know why but in the beginning I always got this card in my reading and it always gave me the message to... wait, wait, wait... It also has to do with having faith things will come around. Everything will be alright if you just "hang" on and stand back. His crossed leg seems to be forming a cross, so maybe it also has got to do with trusting in God.

It also shows about sacrificing oneself. I feel that the hanged man is somehow sacrificing himself. The thorns may indicate that this might not be an easy road, but one that is with struggles and hurdles. But that in the end the Hanged Man will get what he wants. I think he does because of the roses above that are in full bloom.
Attachments
TheHangedMan.JPG
TheHangedMan.JPG (114.79 KiB) Viewed 4302 times

Delirium

Post by Delirium » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:13 pm

Ok Here's how I see the hanged man- He's the card that tells you to look at the situation from a different angle, take yourself out of the box so to speak. The card also speaks of sacrifice like Odin hanging on the wold tree to gain widom we need to sacrifice something of our selves to grow.

Just my thoughts on the card. x

Gem

Post by Gem » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:27 pm

Here are a few more,

The New Visionand the Universal Waite Tarot and of course Haindl with Odin :)

Suspension is a good word as is self sacrifice, the hanged person can escape but chooses to stay :)

BLouise

Post by BLouise » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:03 pm

It looks to me as though if he stopped struggling he could easily untangle himself.  The more he fights the more tangled he become.  This suggests to me that it is time to release control and trust that things will work out the way they should.  If we continue to fight the more suffering we will bring to ourselves.
“And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.” – T.S. Elliot

arianna

Post by arianna » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:23 am

All I feel with this card is someone not ready to let go of the past and unable to move forward until he can release what he is holding so tightly
I wish that your dreams stay big and worries stay small

Sabra

Re: Part One - The Major Arcana - 12

Post by Sabra » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:13 am

Gem wrote:Image

How does this card make you feel? Scared, worried, unhappy? Or relieved and committed?

Image The Haindl Tarot. I love this one that has the chakras in rainbow form over the hanged man. His hair seems to merge into the ground and his feet fall from the trees branches giving a link from heaven and earth, spirit and the earth. So many hidden symbols in this one too. I think this card has a peaceful quality of knowing what must be done and accepting it?
I can't explain why, but I equate this card in some ways to the High Priestess and the Hermit.   The Hanged Man is not only going, but is willingly making a sacrifice to do so.  In the Waite deck, I see the halo as enlightenment that is being gained by the sacrifice.

In the Thoth deck, he hangs from an ankh and there are spheres at the hands and feet.  Possibly chakra points?  The sun is shining down upon him in the background.  I'm still exploring the symbology here.

In a mundane reading, I would interpret it to mean that if one surrenders to a tough situation without fighting for control, it will be greatly beneficial for growth, not only for him or her, but for others as well.  After all, Odin hung upside down and received the secrets of the runes, which have been of great benefit to many people for generations.
Attachments
hanged.jpg
Thoth Deck - Hanged Man
hanged.jpg (10.73 KiB) Viewed 4609 times

winniewoo

Post by winniewoo » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:04 am

The hanged man is hanging on a T-cross of living wood. One leg free. His position looks like the yoga tree pose, which lets God come in. Around his head is a nimbus. His face looks like he is meditating.  He appears to be sacrificing himself, as he has the ability to free himself. His not being held in this position or bound in this position. The color red represents his passion. The blue in his shirt represents his deep thoughts and contemplations. Yellow around his head represents vitality and spiritual desire. The joker is the sacrifice of self for the higher purpose. When the hanged man appears I think of spiritual growth and surrender to a Higher wisdom. Giving up and letting go. The Hanged man can stay in this possition for awhile but not for long. Eventually he will have to let go of the past and move on.
What lies behind you and what lies before you matters not. However, what lies within you is of great importance.

pirbid

My RW Hanged Man says...

Post by pirbid » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:08 pm

"I know this doesn't look very comfortable, but it's quite worth it and not as bad as it seems. My life and ideas may look upside down, but I'm getting real insights from this new point of view. When I go back to you all, I shall be a better person".

The Scapini is the more standard image in this lot, but I chose it because coins and other riches are falling from the man's pockets, maybe indicating a need to turn away from the material plane for a while, or the fact that possessions never aid in soul searching.

The Chinese image is probably linked to some mythic tale that I know nothing about, but it is certainly different and has a more permanent feel to it.

The Ancestral Path's is once again the most surprising one and really gives a new meaning to the expression "a time for waiting and letting things evolve". The child is dependent on its link with its mother, just as we depend on our link with earth, sky and all living things. This is really a phase we all must go through in order to be born (and maybe reborn, as well?).
Sunshine from the islands of eternal spring ;)

Return to “Tarot Homework”