Part One - The Major Arcana - 12

Under this forum The Tarot Professor can and will be able to set the students assignments and homework. Which then must be submitted back here itself. This forum can be accessed only by MysticBoard.com Members.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Gem

Post by Gem » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:33 pm

I will look into it George, thanks for commenting, its hard keeping the part two separate from part one...

The Haindl Hanged man is a portrayel Of Odin, the norse god of runes, linking the tree with the earth. Don't try too hard with the card, the Rider Waite looks much more happy and serene perhaps a smile on his face?

George

Post by George » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:08 pm

Gem wrote:I will look into it George, thanks for commenting, its hard keeping the part two separate from part one...

The Haindl Hanged man is a portrayel Of Odin, the norse god of runes, linking the tree with the earth. Don't try too hard with the card, the Rider Waite looks much more happy and serene perhaps a smile on his face?
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR FIXING THE NAMES OF THE THREADS  :smt007  I was working the Death and just got done posting when i saw the change so i knew you were on the board as i was working!  it is so much easier now thanks again  :smt003

getting back to the Hanged Man
actually he looks as if he is mocking the person or persons that but him there.  the card actually reminds me of the movie "The Name of The Rose" because one of the monks talks about a saint that hides his pain not to show is jailers that he is indeed in pain now where that is argued in the movie by Sean Connery's charatcher that he is in deed using humor to mock his jailers because he fells no pain at all by the grace of God.  and i remember reading that the card is compaired to St. peter that was hunged upside down by the Romans.  there is for sure no pain and the look of a typical saint with the halo and all.  
like i said i try to connect the cards to the Fool when i try to remember the cards that the Fool may have to make a sarcrifce for his cause and become a matyr but he does it willing because it is what he believes in!
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

luv2pur

XII The Hanged man

Post by luv2pur » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:30 am

This card reminds me of the magician david blane, he put himself in situations just to see how much he can endure, and to exert extreme dicipline. Spiritually being in touch with ones senses. Mind over matter, having to be patient and slow down to rethink things..bty david blane stood on the very top of a small pole for days, and he stayed underwater for almost a week then tried to hold his breath for the record, which he did not set. A time of deep mediation perhaps. following justice ...or justice is beng served and he is being restrained to reinvent ones self.

Gem

Post by Gem » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:54 am

Perhaps there is the possibility of self sacrifice too? Choosing to be sacrificed, to be put through this? With only one leg tied he could in theory swing up and release himself, just like David Blaine could release himself if chosen :) but the Hanged Man chooses to go on hanging perhaps to his death....  Intereseing interpretation Luv2 :)

mysticcrystal

Post by mysticcrystal » Sun May 06, 2007 6:28 pm

XII Hanged Man: This is another card I used to dislike. Tihings not coming to fruitition. Be patient. But now I see it to mean that it is time to "hang loose" and meditate on the problem or decision in front of you to make the best possible decision.

MysticCrystal

Chooky

Post by Chooky » Mon May 28, 2007 11:39 am

He seems to me to be resigned to his situation perhaps in contemplation, he certainly does not look unhappy.  His leg that is hanging looks almost relaxed, although I don't know where I would hang my other leg if I was upside down.  He appears to have a lot of time to reflect on things whilst in this situation.

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon May 28, 2007 4:31 pm

I have a card that I must post here!!

Now what do you think of that? The left card is the Tarot of the New Vision by Pamela Smith adn the right side card is the Universal Waite..

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon May 28, 2007 4:32 pm

So if that card is correct the Hanged man cannot move his left leg as it is wedged behind him?

George

Post by George » Mon May 28, 2007 7:45 pm

Gem wrote:I have a card that I must post here!!

Now what do you think of that? The left card is the Tarot of the New Vision by Pamela Smith adn the right side card is the Universal Waite..
after seeing the image i had to search for this deck and i'm not sure if i found the right one but i do love the images on the decks i did see.  i 'm not sure if i like the hangedman like that but it sure is interesting isn't it?

thanks for posting it. :smt016
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue May 29, 2007 11:27 am

Sounds exactly like me lol. I think there are two versions, this one was 2003 LS version.

dreamfairy

The Hanged Man

Post by dreamfairy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:36 pm

The Hanged Man - My initial feelings  looking at the Hanged Man would be that it is some form of punishment, but the man looks as though he's quite happy hanging suspended.  To me he's not being sacrificed but sacrificing himself quite willingly.  Also this reminds me of the yoga position of standing on your head, but what this position in yoga means I don't know.  With the golden halo, there would be some kind of visionary state, hanging in suspension.  It would take some form of `letting go' to willingly hang like that, and also faith because of hanging just by one foot.  In a reading, maybe to suspend activity and to let go of anything that is holding you back. Let go and have faith that everything will turn out right.  

Dreamfairy
Peace & Light.

weezerwall

Re: Part One - The Major Arcana - 12

Post by weezerwall » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:07 pm

Gem wrote:Image

How does this card make you feel? Scared, worried, unhappy? Or relieved and committed?

:smt009 Putting my answers in blue because that's how this card makes me feel  - a bit blue... it reminds me of standstills, "progress" being suspended. Not letting go, unwilling to "make the necessary sacrifices".  "Hung up on" someone/something - we're STUCK.  

OR:  sacrifices made for the "wrong reasons"  - suspension turns into martyrdom.  

OR:  a paradigm shift in my thinking is necessary - and the only way to achieve this is to turn things upside down!  

Image The Haindl Tarot. I love this one that has the chakras in rainbow form over the hanged man. His hair seems to merge into the ground and his feet fall from the trees branches giving a link from heaven and earth, spirit and the earth. So many hidden symbols in this one too. I think this card has a peaceful quality of knowing what must be done and accepting it?

Here the sacrifice element feels more like devotion or learning about humility.  Giving up some "ego" - suspended "between heaven and earth" is necessary to if we want to grow.  It's poignant... and a lot more comforting.

Warmest,
Weezer

pamDemonium

Post by pamDemonium » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:55 pm

I've had trouble getting a handle on the hanged man.  The name of the card sounds so severe, as if he is at someone's mercy with no control of the  situation however the picture on the card is completely opposite. I wish I could show you a picture of my hanged man (Farber/zerner pack). He is pictured suspended by one leg and swinging in the breeze, arms outstretched to help him swing. He certainly gives me the impression that it is entirely his own choice to be suspended and he could hop down at any time.  If I were him I'd be sitting on a stool with my chin in my palms and swinging my leg in contemplation.

so my understanding is that he is taking time out to think and consider his options. I think in a reading I would tell someone they needed to stop and think about what they are doing before they act.

Anyway it's great to get peoples different perspectives.

Gem

Post by Gem » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:59 pm

pamDemonium wrote:I've had trouble getting a handle on the hanged man.  The name of the card sounds so severe, as if he is at someone's mercy with no control of the  situation however the picture on the card is completely opposite. I wish I could show you a picture of my hanged man (Farber/zerner pack). He is pictured suspended by one leg and swinging in the breeze, arms outstretched to help him swing. He certainly gives me the impression that it is entirely his own choice to be suspended and he could hop down at any time.  If I were him I'd be sitting on a stool with my chin in my palms and swinging my leg in contemplation.

so my understanding is that he is taking time out to think and consider his options. I think in a reading I would tell someone they needed to stop and think about what they are doing before they act.

Anyway it's great to get peoples different perspectives.
One of the key words for The Hanged Man is self-sacrifice.  Look again at your card from that point of view and it should become clearer :)

pamDemonium

Post by pamDemonium » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:23 pm

Thanks Gem for the tip. 'self sacrifice does make sense. here is my card.
Attachments
zfmaj12.gif
zfmaj12.gif (31.81 KiB) Viewed 2957 times

Return to “Tarot Homework”