Part One - The Major Arcana - 14

Under this forum The Tarot Professor can and will be able to set the students assignments and homework. Which then must be submitted back here itself. This forum can be accessed only by MysticBoard.com Members.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Gem

Part One - The Major Arcana - 14

Post by Gem » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:21 pm

The Angel next to the Devil? Peace and Cupid spring to mind or do they?
Last edited by Gem on Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chrisdee

Temperance

Post by chrisdee » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:06 pm

The beautiful horse on this card represents keeping feelings moving with compromise and cooperation so that they don't stagnate(the horse moves gracefully with no reigns) A small picture to the right in the back ground is of an Angel mixing and blending intuition and emotional feeling a message to be moderate in all things The bow represents that you should aim higher your not doing your self Justis with the qualities of the horse and the angel you could achieve more
Attachments
Temperance.jpg
Temperance
Temperance.jpg (45.67 KiB) Viewed 11296 times

MissEm

Post by MissEm » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:44 pm

Temperance - The Mythic Deck

Iris stands with one foot in the water/river and the other on solid ground.  The rainbow at her feet and the water flowing from one cup to another signify to me that there is a relationship happening or pontential for one to happen.

Iris was the messenger of the gods (and to Hera)and the rainbow was said to be that link she created to bring the message down to earth.

its a pretty and colourful card which makes me feel happy and joyful at the thought of something new about to happen.  With the water flowing from one cup to the other also indicates there may be some emotion involved but not tears or sadness.  The lovely iris flowers bring hope of something blooming too.
Attachments
Temperance.JPG
Temperance.JPG (20.27 KiB) Viewed 11292 times
O    O
   oo
**___**

ellis

The blending of opposites

Post by ellis » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:21 am

Temperence to me is all about the blending of opposites. Two things that would normally be opposing forces coming together to form a new stronger element. Stainless steel for example, a blend of different metals to forge a stronger one. Where does this fit in with day to day lives? Well, I often ask the people if their partner (if they currently have one) is the opposite of them, where they are quiet their partner is loud, where they are shy their partner is extrovert. The qualities of these people are totally different but together they can compliment each other. One serves to strengthen or control (although this is the wrong word) 'temper' the other. If there is no partner I suggest someone entering their life who has the opposing qualities.

On another level, temperence can suggest that the person needs to develope a side of their nature that is alien to them. Again, if they are quiet, they need to start being more forceful. A difficult transition but necessary to their future development.
I believe that one can have a personal, spiritual relationship with God without practicing religion

MysticTerri

Temperence

Post by MysticTerri » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:07 pm

I see the temperence in a reading as a guardian angel someone watching over you.

MysticTerri
"The unobvious sometimes becomes apparent only after searching the obvious"

Gem

Post by Gem » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:27 pm

Hi Mystic Terri, welcome to MB and the Learn Tarot Class 2007.

Thanks for your comments, are you using the Rider Waite Deck, if not which one are you using?

You can find out more about this course here ..http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=24364
and here http://mysticboard.org/viewforum.php?f=80   thanks for joining in :)

lavirgo

Post by lavirgo » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:05 pm

to me the temperance card is similar to the empress  and the chariot kinda combined, theres a feeling of calm and abundance, which has been achieved by keeping or learning how to balance everything.  or these qualities is whats needed.

*Star*

Post by *Star* » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:35 pm

the temperance card? i find it difficutl to interpret. except that it shows Temperence.

starryskies

Post by starryskies » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:27 pm

The balance between two opposites or compromise. A good card reminding you gently that you can adapt slightly rather than be stubborn.

George

Re: Part One - The Major Arcana - 14

Post by George » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:02 pm

Gem wrote:Image

Even though i tend to have a problem with angels always looking like humans i guess that so human's can relate more to them and not be scare by them.  also because angels when appearing to human always take the form of God.  

This angel pours water from one cup to the another.  My first impression of the two cups from the lower cup was pouring up into the higher up cup.  For sure a feeling of this cups are never empty.  in other words keeping the water balanced.  We know the word temperance if self control and morderation. So can we assume that the angel is offering a balanced cup.  It stands in the water while pouring the water.  the water It stands in I tend to think that this like the "River of Jordan" "we are the father, mother, daugther and son from the dawn of creation we are one... We are only one river."   meaning we share the same cup and we must drink as if we are drinking from the same cup.  although there is plenty it doesn't mean you can drink all you want.
The angel is in white robes and outstreached wings and not a typical halo of the head by radient coming from the head of golden yellow hair just like the sun behind it radient the same type of rayes.  We also saw this with "The Lovers"  the sun and hair are the same color and drawn in the same manner. not sure if that is improtant yet but yellow seems to play a part in the human condition for the cards.  i guess i shall see as we study more.  
I take notice that their is a pyrmaid on Its chest i think that might mean life or something like that although overall i still see the card a temperance a card of balance maybe in one's life if that is what the pyrmaid means!  :smt017

i have to admit i'm slowly getting past the neagtive feelings i feel when looking at this cards that have water in them!  they just freak me out standing in water like that! being always wet....  :smt009
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

George

Post by George » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:09 pm

starryskies wrote:The balance between two opposites or compromise. A good card reminding you gently that you can adapt slightly rather than be stubborn.
that a very nice way to put it Starryskies. i can see that in a reading saying somehting like "in your realtionship you may have to compromise or pick your battles careful and know when to say yea or no to yourself!  great wording and thanks for opening my mind a little bit to the meaning of the card in a real life siutatiion.   :smt003
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

mysticcrystal

Post by mysticcrystal » Sun May 06, 2007 6:38 pm

XIV Temperance: alchemy, a mixing of two precious fluids to create the perfect spell. Manifestation, with help from above. I also see a lot of balance in this card. All suits are symbolized in this card: the sun: fire, the wings: air, the water: water (that was easy), the vegetation: earth. Could also stand for all four suits: wands, cups, swords and pentacles. To me this stands for a balance in all the elements.

MyscticCrystal

Chooky

Post by Chooky » Tue May 29, 2007 12:29 am

To me this card represents a need for balance/moderation, As portrayed in the RW deck, nature needs a balance  for everything to prosper.  I feel it could be weighing up decisions to keep the harmony.
Attachments
Temperance.jpg
Temperance.jpg (61.5 KiB) Viewed 7156 times

dreamfairy

Temperance

Post by dreamfairy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:08 pm

Temperance - Balance through moderation (pouring of water from one cup to another) Balanced body, mind, emotions and spirit  (one foot in water, the other on land). Not going to extremes, bring together opposing forces.  

Dreamfairy
Peace & Light.

weezerwall

Re: Part One - The Major Arcana - 14

Post by weezerwall » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:12 pm

Gem wrote:Image

This card is SOOO soothing.  :)  :)  :) As the name suggests, I think it's about finding and walking "the middle ground".  The "angel" is a role model - tells us that we have the ability to "regulate" ourselves - avoiding unhealthy excess. - re-adjusting our emotions and behavior. (like the angel pouring the water from one goblet to the other.)  The triangle on the angel's chest also suggests this - synthesizing and regulating.

If we practice this type of "temperance" we can "rise above" the emotional level (just as the angel is standing slightly above the water).  

Warmest,
Weezer

Return to “Tarot Homework”