Part One - The Major Arcana - 15

Under this forum The Tarot Professor can and will be able to set the students assignments and homework. Which then must be submitted back here itself. This forum can be accessed only by MysticBoard.com Members.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Gem

Part One - The Major Arcana - 15

Post by Gem » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:22 pm

The dark side of man? The Evil one? Is this card all negative or can it show us the light and the path out of the darkness?
Last edited by Gem on Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chrisdee

The Devil

Post by chrisdee » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:38 pm

This card makes me feel uncomfortable so that i can move on from this card i will wright down all my feelings as i couldn't shorten my notes on this one i can see all of the below in this card
very immature in his behavior he/she applies humour where there's confusion that prevents others from been instinctive which makes him/her cruel and superficial you need to dominate and manipulate others thinking only of the material world and the sense of pleasure there's a lack of vision so you become stuck in your guilt which makes you your own worst enemy this can make you ill and depressed your looking for a scapegoat its easier to blame others than your self for lack of determination and success you know you are making a mistake but the attraction of the weakness is strong
Attachments
Devil.jpg
The Devil
Devil.jpg (44.3 KiB) Viewed 11786 times

MissEm

Post by MissEm » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:59 pm

The Devil - The Mythic Deck

I think this crd is about toying with people and their feelings or emotions o rperhaps even controlling them.  Do we all dance to someone elses tune voluntarily or are we being controlled or manipulated?  We all have a wild, carefree side to our characters (well perhaps most of us) and there are others around us that bring that out more.

The ropes that bind us are loose and we can free ourselves at any time WE choose.  Problem is, some people like to make themselves out to be the victim or perhaps blame others for their hardships.

So perhaps there is someone who is a bad influence around us and brings out the wild child in us or perhaps someone controlling or manipulative.

Note:  As with the Judgement card, this pic I found of the Devil is actually reversed of what mine is.  The tiny peopole are on the bottom right of my card.
Attachments
The Devil.JPG
The Devil.JPG (12.32 KiB) Viewed 11780 times

Gem

Post by Gem » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:07 am

Words like oppression and bullying perhaps? Being devlish and playing jokes?

Chris what do you make of the white threads across the card? Are they ether? clouds? I can't make them out? Any idea?

MissEm, thats a very powerful card, is he about to kick the playing lovers?

MissEm

Post by MissEm » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:22 am

No gem.  he probably couldn't resist a little jig himself. LOL
O    O
   oo
**___**

Gem

Post by Gem » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:29 am

heehee yep!

MysticTerri

My input if you don't mind

Post by MysticTerri » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:54 pm

I see the devil card as being selfish, an addiction maybe drugs or alcohol and obsession also.

MysticTerri
"The unobvious sometimes becomes apparent only after searching the obvious"

chrisdee

Post by chrisdee » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:50 pm

Gem wrote:Words like oppression and bullying perhaps? Being devlish and playing jokes?

Chris what do you make of the white threads across the card? Are they ether? clouds? I can't make them out? Any idea?

MissEm, thats a very powerful card, is he about to kick the playing lovers?
it looks like a vapour that he hides behind so people don't see his true self

lavirgo

Post by lavirgo » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:19 pm

things that possibly are not good in the long run.  being bound to something or someone because it gives pleasure, like lust and materialism.
the threads keeps the person there, luring them to stay when they know it would be better to break away.  this could be substance abuse too.

i also like the interpretation that i got somewhere and its stayed with me, and that depending on other cards the devil can be a sign of commitment in a relationship reading.

*Star*

Re: 15 - The Devil

Post by *Star* » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:58 pm

Gem wrote:Image

The dark side of man? The Evil one? Is this card all negative or can it show us the light and the path out of the darkness?
Devil, Evil, the Dark. why is there a man and a woman? does it mean lust?
umm..does it mean, that if we draw this card in a relationship reading, its pointing that the intentions of the partner are not good. he is a 'devil' beware!

what if its not a relationship reading. why do we have the man and woman there?

EDIT:
i just noticed, they are chained together. and the devil has raised his hand like  he blessing them.

i think it means, tied/forced/trapped together in a relationship, and since its blessed by the Devil, i think its a painful, traumatic relationship.

chrisdee

Post by chrisdee » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:13 pm

EDIT:
i just noticed, they are chained together. and the devil has raised his hand like  he blessing them.

i think it means, tied/forced/trapped together in a relationship, and since its blessed by the Devil, i think its a painful, traumatic relationship.[/quote]
I like this interpretation Star

quote lavirgo : The threads keeps the person there, luring them to stay when they know it would be better to break away.  this could be substance abuse too.
I didn't think of it as  substance abuse I like the way others see things that I haven't spotted

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:14 pm

a man and a woman? does it mean lust?
umm..does it mean, that if we draw this card in a relationship reading, its pointing that the intentions of the partner are not good. he is a 'devil' beware!
It can point to a lot of lust and the pitfalls or evils of affairs and tortures of the heart.

starryskies

Post by starryskies » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:28 pm

This card for me represents temptation, evil thoughts, revenge or jealousy. It is one of my least favourite cards. It could represent someone who is a bad influence or something negative you feel (or the querent feels).

George

Re: Part One - The Major Arcana - 15

Post by George » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:31 pm

Gem wrote:Image

this card is going to be fun to read what other people think of the Devil and evil!  :smt019   The book i use for my studies has the picture of the card but not text to it at all.  for some reason the author didn't wont to put it in words.  

Just like Temperance i dislike the use of humanly shapes of angels and demons even so for this card.  In Temperance the angel is at least on the earth so you could easily accept the human form for it but the Devil is in his own domain which would have you belive he would appear in his natural shape.  I read up on angels and demons and i would have to post a eassay on it so you all can read what i am talking about.  assuming i'm not remember my studies wrong!  :smt018  :smt002

The daughter of Eve and the son of Adam are chained to the Devil.  For some reason they have horns and i'll take that as sympolic that they are now chanined and bound by every hair on their heads to their evil ways.   Take notice that daughter has a tail of vine and grape and son has a tail of fire.  Which is by the torch of the Devil as if It had lite our son's tail on on fire.  which could easily be said that the Devil has influnced him where as their still may be hope for our daugther.
NOw take notice that both female and male of the two cards "The Devil" and "The Lovers" are both hairless and that in itself can mean innocence as in child like innocence because children have no hair and sex in general is an adult way for "The Lovers" and for "The Devil" our daughter and son are hairless and maybe even after being burned their is still hope to overcome the evil the Devil can influence us with.

To answser you question Gem can the Devil show us the path from darkness to the light?  Yes, anytime you see the light you had to light a candle in the darkness.

George

after reading all your cards i have to say this

Post by George » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:59 pm

in a reading, to bring it more to the point of the lesson, all the evil of this world plagues our Fool on his journey and that he has to learn and fight with The Magician and all his worldly tools; The High Priestess with her hidden mysteries; The Empress with natural growth; The Emperor with his authoritive nature and discipline; The Hierophant with religious training; The Lovers with a loved one; The Chariot by controling where we go; Strength that comes from us from all our fools lessons so far and The Hermit with his spitirual growth from within himself; Wheel of Fourtune gives us knowledge of all things; Justice to judge people fairly; The Hangedman to help us sarcrifce if we need to; Death to beware of life and death our Fool is no longer a child; Temperance a balance of what our Fool has to do in this life which leads us to the Devil.  Now, is the time to fight with everything that we have learn so far in our journey and not just the Fool's journey.  Now, the the time to deal with neagtive parts of life.  Drug additciton, jeasouly, lust, love, hatred, jeasouly etc etc and etc.  the human condition.
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

Return to “Tarot Homework”