Tarot Ethics

Under this forum The Tarot Professor can and will be able to set the students assignments and homework. Which then must be submitted back here itself. This forum can be accessed only by MysticBoard.com Members.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Gem

Tarot Ethics

Post by Gem » Fri May 11, 2007 5:09 pm

I know that many courses leave this till the end but I think it is a very important part of tarot reading and should not be neglected.

I would like everyone to read the post here Tarot Lessons - Code of Ethics  and then think about if they would like to formulate their own code of ethics and post it here for us all to discuss. Some have a code for online readings in forums and one for face to face, that is fine too and can be very useful too :)  Some forums have their own readers code of ethics (like Mystic Board) Readers guidelines   Requesting a reading and that too has to be born in mind.

Remember that what you might find acceptable others might not and vice-versa.

chrisdee

Tarot ethics

Post by chrisdee » Sat May 12, 2007 11:45 pm

Gem i'm glad you brought this up although a bit premature on my part i have been working on something that i would like your honest opinion on

Please read this carefully before we begin :I would like you to understand that Tarot is not a predictive tool, Questions like will I meet a perfect partner in five years time would not give a reliable answer. It is most useful and reliable when used for guidance on questions related to something that as already begun. It is you that as come for a reading, so, I am bound by ethics not to discuss third parties unless there actions directly effect you. This reading is also private to you so I will not discuss it with a third party There are something’s in life which must take there course with out interference such as death so please do not ask.Please do not be shy if you don’t discuss what you want from the reading you probably wont get the answers you are looking for. I am not here to form any opinions of my own about you I will design a spread around the questions you ask so that you will receive a complete answer, That way we will both be happy with the reading Please don’t ask if you don’t want to be honest as the cards don’t lie and I will finish the reading immediately but tactfully I would also like to stress the point that nothing is set in stone The reading would be correct at the time given but if you change your approach or change what you are doing then this would then change the reading as I said in the beginning Tarot is for guidance to tell you how things are going and help you make changes/choices that will help you make your life
better
                     BLESS YOU

Not all Tarot readers think the same please ask questions before getting a reading so that you know what to expect from your reading

Gem

Re: Tarot ethics

Post by Gem » Sun May 13, 2007 12:17 pm

chrisdee wrote:Gem i'm glad you brought this up although a bit premature on my part i have been working on something that i would like your honest opinion on
Thank-you for posting, lets see how we get on :)

Please read this carefully before we begin :I would like you to understand that Tarot is not a predictive tool, Questions like will I meet a perfect partner in five years time would not give a reliable answer. It is most useful and reliable when used for guidance on questions related to something that as already begun. It is you that as come for a reading, so, I am bound by ethics not to discuss third parties unless there actions directly effect you. This reading is also private to you so I will not discuss it with a third party There are something’s in life which must take there course with out interference such as death so please do not ask.Please do not be shy if you don’t discuss what you want from the reading you probably wont get the answers you are looking for.
This part is very important for face to face readings, many people might be more reserved or guarded about giving any information or feel silly asking questions to clarify things
I am not here to form any opinions of my own about you I will design a spread around the questions you ask so that you will receive a complete answer, That way we will both be happy with the reading Please don’t ask if you don’t want to be honest as the cards don’t lie and I will finish the reading immediately but tactfully I would also like to stress the point that nothing is set in stone The reading would be correct at the time given but if you change your approach or change what you are doing then this would then change the reading as I said in the beginning Tarot is for guidance to tell you how things are going and help you make changes/choices that will help you make your life
better
                     BLESS YOU

Not all Tarot readers think the same please ask questions before getting a reading so that you know what to expect from your reading
That last line is one of the most important things, clarifying exactly what the querent/client is expecting. For instance a 3 card reading or a 10 card reading or an indepth written ten page essay or a short 3 card. How much time they will be allowed, What to do if you run over or they don't stop talking lol and your next client is waiting. And then later on when more experienced perhaps how much (if anything) they will pay, how they will pay, guarantees, refund terms, when to pay, before or after, preferably before lol, you can always refund but if they don't have any money then things can get resentful and nasty :( What if they aren't happy or can't connect with anything.

You have obviously thought very hard about this. It isn't that easy is it? Trying to emcompass all the right things and word it carefully so everyone understands. Many people think that giving free readings means there is no responsibility factor, but there is and should be even if no money changes hands.

I am not here to give approval or legal advice on these aspects, all I will do is to give my personal opinion, based on what I feel works so that we can all discuss it and learn and formulate our own thoughts :) and likewise I am not here to help formulate contraction or working codes. But Ethics should be covered by every reader.

I hope that has given even more ideas? Well done.

chrisdee

Post by chrisdee » Sun May 13, 2007 2:03 pm

Thanks Gem i knew it needed more work -This bit needs to be included--I am not here to give approval or legal advice- ill rework it so that it will fit in i'm looking forward to seeing what others post

Gem

Post by Gem » Sun May 13, 2007 4:01 pm

I think that the more this discussion goes on the more we will all add Chris lol, :)

mysticcrystal

Post by mysticcrystal » Fri May 25, 2007 5:21 am

My Code of Ethics Adapted From The ATA Code of Ethics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will serve the best interests of my clients, conducting my professional activities without causing or intending to cause harm.

I will treat all my clients with equal respect, regardless of their origin, race, religion, gender, age, physical attributes or sexual preference.

I will represent honestly my Tarot qualifications, including educational credentials and levels of certification.

I will keep confidential the names of clients and all information shared or discussed during readings, unless otherwise requested by the client or required by a court of law.

I will recommend clients consult a licensed professional for advice of a legal, financial, medical, or psychological nature that I am not qualified to provide.  If trained in one of these areas, I will clearly differentiate between the tarot reading and any professional advice additionally provided.

I will respect my clients' right to refuse or terminate their reading at any time, regardless of prior consent.

I recognize that all ATA members have the same rights and obligations, and I will always respect and honor my co-members.

I will continually educate myself about the Tarot by taking courses, reading books, teaching courses, writing books and participating in group discussions.

Gem

Post by Gem » Fri May 25, 2007 1:48 pm

Thanks Mystic Crystal,

Thought I would post The Ethics from TABI, The Tarot Association of the British Isles.

TABI Reader's Ethics
All readings remain confidential between the client and the reader and, if appropriate, the readers mentor.
All readings will aim to empower the client.
All clients are equal and will be treated with respect.
As a reader I will be open minded, honest and remain non-judgmental.
I will suggest the client contact a qualified professional if appropriate e.g. health or legal professional.
Any payment will be discussed prior to the reading, will be reasonable and within the clients means.
If at any time I feel unable to continue the reading I will withdraw tactfully.
I will use Tarot responsibly e.g. I will not offer to remove or place curses.
I will not knowingly give an e-mail reading to anyone under 18 years of age and will not knowingly give a face-to-face reading for anyone under 18 years of age without permission from their parent or guardian.
I will not undertake reading for anyone other than the client, i.e. third parties.

© TABI all rights reserved, 2001-2007

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:52 pm

This is one of the most important parts of the course and so far we only have a few replies. Please take a moment to read and respond.

Thanks

George

Post by George » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:16 pm

Gem wrote:This is one of the most important parts of the course and so far we only have a few replies. Please take a moment to read and respond.

Thanks
i'm not 100% sure why you wouldn't do a reading for a minor.  i'm sure there are a 100 reasons and more I'm just interested in descusing it.
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

chrisdee

Post by chrisdee » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:50 pm

George wrote:
i'm not 100% sure why you wouldn't do a reading for a minor.  i'm sure there are a 100 reasons and more I'm just interested in descusing it.[/quote]
:smt006 George the main reason i would not read for a minor is that they are very impressionable  been young they could very easily rely to much on readings and not make decision's for them selves :smt018  i would only cross this line with parent present and a desperate situation

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:03 pm

My view on this....

A minor will never or almost never ask for a reading.

A parent that are no believer in readings will not ask for a reading for their child.

A parent that are a believer in reading will ask for reading for their child.

And the stronger a person believe in Readings the more "dangerous" is the reading for the child.

Let say that ther reading show that the child will have some problems in the future.
This will for a strong believer in Readings fasten to the mind and the child might suffer, because the parent know there will be problems and there is no use to put in to much of their hard earned money, maybe put it into his brother that had a better Reading....or we might save to our nextchild that surly will have a better Reading then tis one.

This is put on the edge....but beliefs are dangerous...so is also to strong belief in Readings!

Gem

Post by Gem » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:22 pm

George, did you know that in many states it is illegal to read for an under 18?  That is one reason, and there are plenty more, especially if you read professionally and charge for your readings. Insurance is impossible to get to cover under 18's unless their parent or guardian is with them and gives their consent. Having unaccompanied minors on your work place also needs specific insurance.

Rhuto, many people don't use tarot as a tool of forecast. So the future aspect does not apply here. There is also the contact with an under18 year old that many shy away from with the new laws regarding 'internet grooming' and the many laws that protect school children.

If you think that most querents return frequently, and carry on feedback and continuous discussions about their questions and readings it can be quite hard to draw the line between a simple reading and what some immature querents consider a full blown relationship and some get deeply attached to the reader, mistakenly understanding feedback and help with a reading to be a friendship and affection.

Therefore, it is my view that not reading for minors is a good decision, especially online where things can carry on. At least in person we can walk away.

I do not know of one Tarot Association that allows readings for under 18's.

George

Post by George » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:05 pm

chrisdee wrote:
George wrote:
i'm not 100% sure why you wouldn't do a reading for a minor.  i'm sure there are a 100 reasons and more I'm just interested in descusing it.
:smt006 George the main reason i would not read for a minor is that they are very impressionable  been young they could very easily rely to much on readings and not make decision's for them selves :smt018  i would only cross this line with parent present and a desperate situation[/quote]

actually, i tend to think that most adults can fall into that trap and regardless of age  and relying too much on their readings.  i starting to think that if a parent was present i would do a reading. now, Gem brought of a good point about the internet: there would be no way i would do any kind of communcation with any minor over the internet for any reason.

thanks for responding  :smt006

George

Post by George » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:10 pm

Rhutobello wrote:My view on this....

A minor will never or almost never ask for a reading.

A parent that are no believer in readings will not ask for a reading for their child.

A parent that are a believer in reading will ask for reading for their child.

And the stronger a person believe in Readings the more "dangerous" is the reading for the child.

Let say that ther reading show that the child will have some problems in the future.
This will for a strong believer in Readings fasten to the mind and the child might suffer, because the parent know there will be problems and there is no use to put in to much of their hard earned money, maybe put it into his brother that had a better Reading....or we might save to our nextchild that surly will have a better Reading then tis one.

This is put on the edge....but beliefs are dangerous...so is also to strong belief in Readings!
although i agree with Gem about not reading the future i tend to want to guide the person with options and so forth although i understand your point.  with minors i can see how i would have to be careful in reading a path of action and trouble and not go beyound scarying them or something like that overalll the parent, if they found out, could object to and be angry.

George

Post by George » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:15 pm

Gem wrote:George, did you know that in many states it is illegal to read for an under 18?  That is one reason, and there are plenty more, especially if you read professionally and charge for your readings. Insurance is impossible to get to cover under 18's unless their parent or guardian is with them and gives their consent. Having unaccompanied minors on your work place also needs specific insurance.

Rhuto, many people don't use tarot as a tool of forecast. So the future aspect does not apply here. There is also the contact with an under18 year old that many shy away from with the new laws regarding 'internet grooming' and the many laws that protect school children.

If you think that most querents return frequently, and carry on feedback and continuous discussions about their questions and readings it can be quite hard to draw the line between a simple reading and what some immature querents consider a full blown relationship and some get deeply attached to the reader, mistakenly understanding feedback and help with a reading to be a friendship and affection.

Therefore, it is my view that not reading for minors is a good decision, especially online where things can carry on. At least in person we can walk away.

I do not know of one Tarot Association that allows readings for under 18's.
good point about the internet when i was thinking of readings i was only thinking about in person. even though i do not really speak to anyone over the internet, especially in prviate emails, that are underage, that thought scares me because of what a parent could make out of it and so forth.  

now that you bring up the point charging professiuonal to a minor and could just really p off a mom or dad especially if they think the child is wasting there money!  and you don't need the tartot to fortell that they may couild to your place of business angry and wanted the moeny back.

a lot of good point Gem and everyone else thanks for answering my question and getting a good dicussion going!  

:smt006

Return to “Tarot Homework”