I HAVE AN ADDICTION

Here is the place to share your life's problems and questions, and to offer you possible answers and real, practical solutions. The best place on the internet for all members to exchange general advice, healing and support, and to help each other to get through at least to the next day. No readings will be given on this board.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

woven5

I HAVE AN ADDICTION

Post by woven5 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:49 pm

IT'S SUGAR ! AND IT'S CONTROLLING MY LIFE, WELL SOMETIMES.
   I AM OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS ON THIS BOARD TO HELP ME THROUGH THIS ADDICTION.

I DON'T BELIEVE GIVING UP SUGAR COMPLETELY IS THE
IS THE ANSWER. IV'E TRIED ASKING FOR HELP THROUGH PRAYER MEDITATION ECT... I DO KNOW THE STRENGTH LIES WITHIN ME BUT, I WANT TO SEE IF THERE IS ANYTHING THAT CAN SEE ME THROUGH THIS.

MAYBE CRYSTALS? OR SUBLIMINAL MESSAGES ?
I FIGURED IT IS AN EMOTIONAL THING. MY DAD ALWAYS SAID ICE CREAM MAD ME LAUGH , NOT SO FUNNY ANYMORE .

THIS MAY SOUND STRANGE TO YOU BUT I ONCE HAD A VISION OF MYSELF AS A SMALL CHILD (IN POLAND?) WE WERE VERY POOR, ALL
WE HAD TO EAT WAS BREAD AND MAPLE SYRUP.

WELL AS A KID I WOULD PUT SYRUP ON BREAD AND RUN UP TO MY ROOM SO MY MOM WOULDN'T SEE ME. MAYBE THIS HAS SOME CONNECTION TO MY LIFE NOW. ALTOUGH I KNOW ALL THIS I STILL
CAN'T SEEM TO FIGHT IT OFF COMPLETELY.
                                               WOVEN

lunarcraft

Big hug

Post by lunarcraft » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:49 pm

I am sending you one of my HUGE hugs - hope it helps a little.  When people who are in recovery come into my shop looking for help, I suggest that they have a piece of Amethyst as this is excellent for helping people to overcome addictions ... perhaps this may help you.

Brightest Blessings

Sarah

Evie

Post by Evie » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:51 pm

(((HUGS)))  for  you  Woven

I don't know about you but I had a problem with sweets as well. The bottom line for
me  was a recurring yeast problem... 'Candida'
This one is  a real big problem,  not just for women either. This yeast feeds off of
sweets... the cravings are relentless.  I would be real crabbyand a chocolate bar
magically fixed this mood.  

As I did a Candida cleanse, (from the health food shop)  plus  no sugar, not even
 fruit for three weeks, extra weight  melted away and I lost the taste for sugary
treats.  It wasn't easy...  Addiction is the correct word to describe this hankering
for sweets.  The trick was not to let myself feel hungry...  I ate raw vegies between
meals.

Good Luck to you hun....

Evie

woven5

Post by woven5 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:28 pm

THANKS GUYS,
 I DO HAVE A PIECE OF AMETHYST THAT I USE FOR MANY OTHER
THINGS. I WILL CARRY IT AROUND WITH ME MORE OFTEN.

I ALSO DID THE CANDIDA CLEANSE BUT I COULDNT SEEM TO COMPLETELY GO WITHOUT THE SUGAR. SO I FIRST NEED TO GET ENOUGH STRENGTH TO FOLLOW THAT AGAIN .

MAYBE I NEED SOMETHING FOR WILLPOWER FIRST. WELL I FEEL I
AM GETTING CLOSER.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM
I KNOW I HAVE AN ADDICTION
 I THINK I KNOW HOW TO OVERCOME IT
MAYBE I NEED A 12 STEP PROGRAM OR
SOMETHING.

OF COURSE THIS MAY SEEM SILLY TO SOME,BUT IT'S DELAYING ME SPIRITUALLY AND I NEED TO OVERCOME THIS IN ORDER TO ADVANCE.
                              WOVEN

LibB

Post by LibB » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:24 am

Hi woven, Big hugs to you. I have exactly the same problem. I grew up with it so it's really hard to remove this addiction. My suggestion (even though I am unable to do it myself) is... When you get a craving eat a piece of fruit. Banana, watermelon, apricots, peaches, plums are good. Try to reprogram your tastebuds with fruit. It takes a while till your tastebuds and brain are reprogrammed so if you start small ie. 1 piece of fruit instead of sugar every day for one week, then two every day the next week. Each week increase your fruit by one per day and remove the sugar until you are only eating fruit and stay with that. One of the things I do is make fruit milkshakes. I don't know if you drink milk. My recipe is 1 banana, 1 or 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon raw sugar, drop of vanilla and 500 mls milk. Put it all in the blender and enjoy.
If you have too much sugar on something start to take some out.

I've just found out I could be all wrong about the fruit but it is a start.

I have just googled "how to stop sugar cravings" and one of them said stop eating fruit. This would be cold turkey. Another one suggested subsituting sugar with fruit. It's up to you which way you want to do it.

Allow your guardian angel and other angels into your life to help you find the way that is best for you.

wikihow.com/Stop-Sweet-Cravings is one of the sites with good info.

You have to work out if you are removing sugar of all kinds completely or you are changing your habits of processed sugar into something more healthy. God made fruit so I'd say it is Heavenly to eat fruit. It is the way it's been grown and processed that could be a problem.

Over the last year I have been drinking Morning start juice. (from supermarket) This one has apple, orange, pineapple, mango and passionfruit juices with vitamins C & A & folate. This juice has no added sugar and no preservatives. At first I didn't like it that much but kept drinking it. I love it so much now, I don't want to stop drinking it. I can easily drink the 2.4 litre bottle in one day and usually don't have any cravings for sugar. I just drink juice when I feel like I need sugar.

After reading some of the information I have just seen. I think it may be easier for me to curb my cravings as I know what symptoms to look for. Thankyou for your help.

Love and light to you Libby

Ps You have really opened my eyes to what I have already done to remove sugar from my life. It isn't gone completely but I am managing to control it. My whole life used to be sugar absolutely everything except dinner. Now I love curries, fried rice and alot of other foods that are good for me without being sweet based. Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou. If you need help along the way, I am happy to be here for you.
Last edited by LibB on Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

gsryoga

Post by gsryoga » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:38 am

I am having the same difficulty with cafeine as you are having with sugar. I promise myself I will quit in the morning, but then I wake up strung out and give up. I guess I am going to have to just keep myself in the house this weekend and weather the storm -- so to speak. And perhaps, you might need to do the same.

The Amethyst aproach could also be a great ingredient in this. I forgot all about it. It did work for me years ago.
"Imagine there's no countries. It isn't hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for, or no religion too. Imagine all the people, living life in peace."

.......John Lennon

Lady Hope

My son need prayers

Post by Lady Hope » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:44 am

My son needs prayers
I am educated- Master in Social Work.  I am objective, insighfull and psychic.  Empathy, non-judgemental are a few of my values.

Evie

Post by Evie » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:51 am

((( HUGS )))  Lady Hope

... and heartfelt prayers for you and your son....  

:smt039  I feel the same about my son.

P E A C E
Evie
   :smt109

Pssst... Hun you are in someone elses thread... I'll PM you on how to open your own thread in "I need a hug"

woven5

Post by woven5 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:56 am

AS I AM WRITTING THIS GUESS WHAT I AM EATING ? THATS RIGHT SUGAR :smt009 I WILL START WITH THE FRUIT AND SLOWLY WORK MYSELF DOWN.

LIBBY THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESEARCH. I NOW KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN.

ONE THING I NOTICE IS AFTER I EAT A MEAL MY MIND DOESN'T FEEL FINISHED UNTIL I TASTE SOMETHING SWEET.

JUST A THOUGHT, WHAT GIVES ME THE RIGHT TO EXPECT SOMEONE TO STOP ONE ADDICTION IF I CAN'T KEEP MY SWEETS IN MODERATION.
                                             WOVEN

LibB

Post by LibB » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:07 am

Woven the whole time I was writing my post to you, the mint slice biscuits were talking to me. They are on top of the fridge. I cleaned the mess on top of the fridge the other day and now biscuits are there. Shaking my head and LOL. I went and had one biscuit when I finished my post. Then went and had another and another. 3 biscuits. LOL. My juice is sitting next to me. Don't worry. It takes will power and you will need to strengthen that first. You need your mind to really want to change.
As I said for the first week each day when you feel like you need to eat sugar replace it with a piece of fruit . I didn't say go cold turkey.
So... I have eaten 3 mint slice biscuits in a row. ( I don't have much fruit at the moment, however I have apples), so I will promise to eat 1 apple today.
If you eat the way you normally would, yes you had sugar, the next time you crave the sugar eat your piece of fruit. Force yourself and know you are doing it lovingly. Then if you are going to eat sugar you are going to eat it. This way is about replacing the habit slowly changing your want for it. Eventually you will look at sugar food and consciously say to yourself, no I would prefer to eat this and you will endeavor to do that. Keep up the good work. You read my post, you have made the effort to listen, you have made the effort to learn. Now you need to enforce control. As I said it takes time but enjoy the changes little bit by little bit

Love and light to you. We can meet here for our updates or make a new post letting each other know what we have had.

My mission for today is to replace 1 sugar craving with an apple.
When I really feel the need to eat sugar, (chocolate is my problem. I've changed that too. Dark chocolate instead of others. Yummy) I will consciously make the effort to eat an apple and enjoy every bite and taste and let the flavour melt into my tastebuds.

What's yours?

I will post here when I have completed my mission for today.

Good luck and best wishes. Contacting your true soul is what is important. We can do it together.

Libby

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:17 am

Actually, if you're going to have sugar the best thing you did was as a kid... pure maple syrup or even black strap molasses are better for you than honey, or sugars.

I copied and pasted this from "the Master Cleanse" - I know of a few people who did this to detoxify and noticed it re-programmed them to eat healthier and eat the right kinds of sweets - though I would never do this for even a week, I do know one who did it the full 40 days:

The maple syrup is a balanced form of positive and negative sugar. There are three grades of maple syrup. Grade A is the first run— mild in taste, sweet and with fewer minerals than the other grades. It is more expensive and less desirable but it may be used. Grade B is the second run with more minerals plus more maple taste. It is more suitable for the diet and is less expensive. Grade C is the third run with even more minerals and still stronger taste of maple and slightly less pleasant for most people, although acceptable in the diet. It is lower in price. As Grade C is less expensive it can be used as an excellent sweetening agent in preparing foods. The strong maple flavor blends very well. The maple syrup has a large variety of minerals and vitamins. Naturally the mineral and vitamin content will vary according to the area where the trees grow and the mineral content in the soil. These are the minerals found in average samples of syrup from Vermont: Sodium; Potassium; Calcium; Magnesium; Manganese; Iron; Copper; Chlorine and Silicon. Vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, C, Nicotinic acid and Pantothenic Acid are also present in the syrup.

Anyway, I guess the best help would be sheer willpower, that is providing you have ruled out by your doctor that you do not suffer from diabetes, Candida or any other medical problems that would cause it. Consequently, Candida is highly contagious and a lot of people are walking around with it and don't even know it, doctors don't look for it when you're sick and it causes an innumerable amount of illnesses. Anyway, wear a rubber band around your wrist to remind yourself to have a glass of water every time you get a craving for sweets. My weakness is chocolate and I avoid it at all costs... it's like giving crack to a crack addict for me. If the water doesn't rid you of your craving, have a banana or a piece of fruit like a nectarine or some canteloupe and see if that tides you over.

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:23 am

Hi, a hug to you, as an addictions nurse the best piece of advice i can give you is that when you have a craving, is to eat protein not carbs.  So instead of an apple, have a piece of meat or a boiled egg.  Protein offsets the carb craving.

If you wish another piece of advice, cravings last 20 minutes, so you need to occupy your time. if you spend 20 minutes wanting a sweet, sugar, cake thing then you will have it, if you get up move environment, do something constructive ie, clean a cuboard, go for a walk, or take up a hobby you will be less fixated on your object of desire.  

Lastly, reducing your sweet consumption will not help you, if you continue to eat sweets you will continue to feed your bodies addiction, a carb detox and a plain simple diet will help, abstience is usually the best way, that way its simple and easy to control and you know exactly what you are doing.  Its easier to remember no, than saying oh i will only have 1 sweet per day, as we all know, 1 leads to 2 leads to 3 etc.

Hope this helps you.

Suzi
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

woven5

Post by woven5 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:02 am

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ON THIS GUYS. TODAY I CARRIED AROUND MY AMETHYST AND I DIDN'T HAVE CRAVINGS ALL DAY MY GUIDES MUST OF BEEN HELPING ME WITH MY WILLPOWER. OF COURSE SOME OF THE SUGGESTIONS I GOT HELPED TO.

I WILL FIRST TRY FRUIT WHEN I HAVE CRAVINGS UNTIL THEY SUBSIDE THEN I WILL DO THE CANDIDA CLEANSE AGAIN. COLD TURKEY DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME WHEN YOUR DEALING WITH FOOD, ONLY BECAUSE I BELIEVE SO STRONGLY IN" EVERTHING IN MODERATION". I'M JUST NOT THERE AT THAT LEVEL OF COMPLETELY SAYING GOODBYE TO SUGAR . I WILL TRY THESE STEPS FIRST.
              THANKS EVERONE I'LL KEEP YOU GUYS POSTED

Dave K

Post by Dave K » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:24 pm

I read this article a week or two ago about cravings. This is what it says a certain food
craving might mean emotionally:

If you reach for…                                                You may be feeling…

Tough foods like meat, or hard and crunchy foods - Angry

Sugars -  Depressed

Soft and sweet foods like ice cream - Anxious

Salty foods -  Stressed

Bulky, fill-you-up foods, like crackers or pasta - Lonely, sexually frustrated

Anything and everything - Jealous

woven5

Post by woven5 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:31 pm

THANKS,
THAT MAKES SENSE BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN NATURALLY HYPER SINCE A CHILD. REALLY INTERESTING!

WOVEN

Return to “The Hug Exchange”