What is the difference?

Discuss how to use crystals and gemstones as a form of spiritual healing, and for harnessing spiritual energy.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Cali4niaGirlz

What is the difference?

Post by Cali4niaGirlz » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:47 pm

What is the difference between crystals and gemstones?

Sorry to ask such an idiotic question, but I truly haven't a clue...

Also, when you speak of gemstone healing/cleansing... what type of gemstone are you referring to? I have many amathyst rings and necklaces (it is my birthstone), as well as other gemstones, and wondered if those are acceptable or if you need plain stones? I needed to know if wearing my necklace or rings is ok, or if I need to carry around a stone.

Thank you!

Aegeus

Post by Aegeus » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:30 pm

Gem stones are simply lower grade crystals, more available and more affordable then higher grade ones which are generally referred to as more crystally where as gem stones are more rocky. Carrying around a rock would have a more powerful energy. Like a crystal with a point and it's natural surfaces still intact. The necklaces and rings can still be healing but I much prefer raw stones, uncut and unpolished save for ones that are naturally polished from being in a river or on a beach. If you put the thought out of what you would like a stone to help you with or just what stones you could benefit from some will jump out at you. The more you work with stones the greater will become you sensitivity to them and your awareness of how to best use them. If you feel that carrying a stone around would be better then you are probably right.

Also note there is a lot of variation on what stones are for what birth sign, so much so that I just go with what I feel is best.
Last edited by Aegeus on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cali4niaGirlz

Post by Cali4niaGirlz » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:03 pm

Thank you Aegeus!!!

healinghands

Post by healinghands » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:39 pm

Essential there is no difference between gemstones and crystals. Gemstones are created from crystals, and are usually faceted and made into jewelry. Crystals are usually found in their natural formation.

I have to disagree with Aegeus however, gemstones are usually the higher grade crystals with greater clarity, which is why they are used in jewelry.

The energy of gemstones is more refined and usually a little softer than the raw crystals, but that is not always the case.

Gemstone healing is often used to intergrate the idea into the more mainstream communities, it is a lot less threatening than Crystal Healing in some circles. Everyone knows what a gemstone and it is easier to go from there.

Carrying a stone is always good, but you will receive benefits from the jewlery that you wear.

crystalhealer1

Post by crystalhealer1 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:20 pm

In the crystal healing scene, the words, "crystal", "gemstone", "stone", and "mineral" are often used interchangeably.  However, there are some distinctions from a scientific standpoint.  All crystals, stones, and gemstones are minerals.  However, not all minerals are crystals or gemstones.  A crystal is a mineral with a regularly repeating internal structure (a crystalline lattice).  A gemstone is  defined not so much scientifically as economically.  A gemstone is labeled as such because of its rarity, hardness, clarity, and use for jewelry.  Gemstones are also divinded into precious and semi-precious.  Precious gems include diamonds, sapphires, rubies, emeralds, etc.  Semi-precious gems include Amethsyt, Rose Quartz, Tiger's Eye, Iolite, Peridot, etc.  These semi-precious gems are more readily available and typically softer on the Mohs Hardness Scale.  Stone can really refer to any of the above.  Rocks are composed of more than one mineral.

Return to “Crystal Healing”