Can someone identify these for me?

Discuss how to use crystals and gemstones as a form of spiritual healing, and for harnessing spiritual energy.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

BLouise

Can someone identify these for me?

Post by BLouise » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:08 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what any of these stones are.  I have had the occassion of coming across bins of these stones where you pick your own sachet full for a small fee.  I purchased these some time ago and am now wondering what they are and if they are and if they have any significance.  Any input is appreciated.
Thank you
Louise
Sorry the pics so big :smt017

“And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.” – T.S. Elliot

Gem

Post by Gem » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:46 pm

Its always very hard to tell from pictures, partly because the feel of a stone goes a long way towards the recognition of it. Remembering that they nearly all look like quartzes lol,  I would hazard a guess and say that maybe they are as follows:-

Numbering 1- 4 horizontally, left to right,

1. Feldspar
2. Agate
3. Jasper
4. Agate

2nd row across
5. Red Jasper
6. Carnelian
7. Citrine
8. Moonstone

9. Picture Jasper
10. Pietersite
11. Carnelian
12. Dyed Agate

13. Jasper ?Bloodstone ?
14. Jasper ? Tigerstone ?
15. Dumortierite
16. Jasper ? Obsidian ? Onyx ?

17. Sodalite
18. Pietersite
19. Clear Quartz
20. Onyx ? Jet ?

A lovely collection :)

BLouise

Post by BLouise » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:16 pm

Gem - Thank you soooo much for your help :smt007 If I may give a little more input on a couple and see if you can better identify the ones w/ ?s.

No. 2 is a kind of yellowey brown color and is kind of cloudy, but you can see light through it.  It has those cracks shown in the picture on the one side but is very smooth, like glass. Very unlike no. 4 which you identified as Jasper (which I agree I'm sure I've seen it before somewhere)

No.3 is very similar to No.2 in that it is smooth and light shines through (like smokey glass) but is a little darker w/ a kind of purple hue.  It has one crack that is green and several that are brown :smt017

No. 13 is a very deep purple color w/ some white cracks and speckles

No. 14 is a dark brown w/ light brown and white stripes in it

No. 16 looks black around the outside but in the middle it is kind of an opaque brown color

No. 20 is a kind of sparkley black but not as shiney as the others

Thank you so much for your input you are brilliant  :smt003  I will enjoy looking up some info on these now.

Best wishes :smt006
Louise

Gem

Post by Gem » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:51 pm

Heehee, ok to understand a bit more information is needed. Tumblestones are usually the bits and pieces that are not strong enough or good enough to stand alone or be sold as they are, therefore they are tumbled to make them smooth and shiny. For the most part they are quite poor specimins of their type :(

Now that doesnt mean to say they are worthless or useless for healing, they are still very valuble! Its the identification that is harder without using chemical tests and scratching them that is.

But....If you look at a large piece of say Carnelian you will be looking at a stone that has bands of orange and yellow, browns and creams and some clear. If we then cut this large Carnelian into small tumblestones,  each one may contain some or all of these features. Then look at the geology of the stone, carnelian is an agate, albeit an agate with a name, and agates are banded chalcedony, and jasper is a solid chalcedony and guess what?.... chalcedony is a quartz!!!!!

Confused yet?

Now you might see why the pictures make it very hard to tell.

Ok so back to the plot lol.....

BLouise

Post by BLouise » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:02 pm

Thank you Gem for your effort.  I see now how it can be so difficult to tell.  I'll take what you have given me so far and work with that.  Thanks again! :)
Louise
“And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.” – T.S. Elliot

Return to “Crystal Healing”