Lack of humility

Share your stories, poems, plays, and show your creative side to the world.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Jayashree Ravi

Lack of humility

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:02 pm

அடக்கம்:
-------------

சீரிய குணநலன்களின் பற்றாக்குறை
ஆம்! அது ஒரு குணக்குறை!
தெரியவில்லை தன் வரையறை
தன் எல்லைகளை உணராத வரை
எல்லோருக்கும் உண்டு ஏதோவொரு சிறப்பு
என பல்லாண்டு கூறி பரப்பு
என ஆன்றோர் கூறிய வேதம்
அதை பின்பற்றுவோர் கூற்றே புனிதம்
அடக்கமும் ஒரு தனித்துவம்
அதை பெறுவோர் வாழ்வில் வசந்தம்

Humility and lack of it:
---------------------------
A deficit of praiseworthy traits
Yes! It is indeed a flaw of character
Not knowing one's limits
'Cause one does not realize his boundaries
Everyone has some good latent potential
So you may say and spread this message
This is the rule laid down by the forefathers
And those who follow it are blessed
Humility is also a unique trait
And there will be constant joy in the lives of those who follow it
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

What humility is NOT

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:00 am

Dear Sister,

I really like and appreciate how your poetry often makes me think more deeply about what it is to be human.

On reading it, I immediately recognised humility as one of the five virtues of Sikhism.
In Sikhism, the Five Virtues are fundamental qualities which one should develop in order to reach Mukti, or to reunite or merge with God. The Sikh Gurus taught that these positive human qualities were Sat (truth), Daya (compassion), Santokh (contentment), Nimrata (humility), and Pyaar (love).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Virtues

The Benedictine nuns have humility as their third degree, or third step towards better knowing and understanding the true nature of God.

I found the following page of great interest to me in understanding what humility is NOT (hence the subject heading of my response).

http://www.ibenedictines.org/2014/01/31 ... -humility/

While I recognise the positive, socializing value of humility as recognising one's limits and not thinking that you are better than everyone else, like all good things this human quality can sometimes be taken too far to the extreme, by unnecessarily placing limits upon what we believe we are capable of achieving.

Also humility does NOT mean that you should never voice your own opinions or never stand up for your basic rights as a human being, particularly to be respected for who you already are.

In other words I feel that many women (especially) equate humility with a complete lack of assertiveness, and the belief that any relationship is better than having no relationship at all.

Some men and women can therefore be too "humble" for their own good, instead of not being humble enough.

The meaning which you associate with the word humility can clearly make a very big difference, as to whether being humble and recognising one's limits should be mainly regarded as a positive or negative quality of the human personality.

L&L,

Brian  Image

Jayashree Ravi

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:01 pm

Nice, thought-provoking reply from you, Brian ji.

You are so correct that humility is one word that has to be defined carefully - it is absolutely right it does not mean one shouldn't stand up for one's rights, or subdue oneself from being assertive.

In my terms, humility simply means one should not think that they are 'special' and carry this thought in to everyday interactions with people. Aren't we sick of such people who think so high of themselves?

Very well said, all that you have stated. A big thank you.
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:13 pm

Aren't we sick of such people who think so high of themselves?
Sister,

Honestly we should all learn to think more highly about ourselves.

Depressed people believe that they are never good enough, or that everyone else is better than they are.

It is only when we have an unhealthy and excessive need to constantly convince everyone else that we are superior to them in so many different ways, that it really becomes a problem.

However there is absolutely nothing wrong with you being proud of your own achievements.

Brian  :smt003

Return to “Poetry and Literature”