"Old is gold"

Share your stories, poems, plays, and show your creative side to the world.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Jayashree Ravi

"Old is gold"

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:03 am

பழையதாக ஆகிவிட்டாய்,
பளபளப்பு ஏற்றிக்கொள்" என்று
ஜிம்முக்கும், பியூட்டி பார்லருக்கும்
வழிகாட்டும் அழகுப்பித்தர்,
ரசிகசிகாமணி அன்புக்கணவரே!
"நெல்லையப்பர் கோவிலில்
கரையாமல் காலங்காலமாய் நிற்கும்
கருங்கல் தூண்களுக்கு
வர்ணம் தீட்டினால் ஏற்ப்பீர்களா" என்றாலோ
"கிராமங்களும், பழமையான
ஓலைக்குடிசைகளும் இல்லாமல்,
எங்கெங்கும் விண்ணைத்தொடும்
மாடமாளிகைகள் நிறைந்தால் ஓகேயா"
என்ற கேள்விக்கும் விடை தெரியாமல்
நீங்கள் முழிப்பது எவ்வண்ணம், உங்களுக்கும்
பழமையின் அருமை புரிந்ததால்தானே?

Looking old, why don't you renew?
Asked my dearest hubby anew
Go to the gym and then the parlor
There your youth will find harbor!
No, no, dear hubby don't you know?
Age doesn't go with beauty show!
Go now to any old and magnificent temple
And see if there is an effort to mask the wall dimple
Or paint the rows of divine pillars
And make them look exemplar!
Is it ok not to have any old villages
Or don't you enjoy vintages?
So now do you see the difference
Age changes our preference
Oh yes! says now my husband
Old is gold, that pleases in the end!

:smt041
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Re: "Old is gold"

Post by eye_of_tiger » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:20 am

Looking old, why don't you renew?
If you had in the first line instead written "Feeling old, why don't you renew"?, then this whole poem would have been much more consistent with and relevant to some of my greatest personal challenges at this particular time in my life (approaching 65).

If I did not know better, I would be wondering as to whether you have been secretly reading my personal thoughts, emails and private messages, as it can be very confronting to see some of your most private thoughts displayed on a public forum, where everyone else can see them.

Unfortunately many of the solutions to this problem of coping with depression and failing vitality and senses in old age included in your poem are not valid options for me, for any one of several different reasons.

But even if the answer or answers is or are not there for me within your verse, hopefully it or they will be there for somebody else who also reads it.

Getting older is not a crime, or something to be ashamed of.

Instead it is a significant achievement, to be both recognised and celebrated.

Salutations!

Brian :smt023

Jayashree Ravi

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:30 am

Hello Brian,

That's precisely the message I am conveying in my poem too. That is, it is my husband who is asking me the question, "Looking old, why don't you become newer going to gym and parlor?". I am telling him, "haven't you seen the old rows of pillars standing unadorned in temples, don't you appreciate old villages for their charm, don't you enjoy vintages?" Then he says, "Yes I do", so I am telling him, "Likewise for aging with me".

Jayashree Ravi

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:31 am

I just wrote this for poetic fun. Personally I don't take to the view that someone should not strive to look young and youthful in their midlife. In my opinion, they should all (me too) look younger, but dress appropriate for age.

Jayashree Ravi

Post by Jayashree Ravi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:41 am

I write poems because I need appreciation and also because, the poetic fun makes me enthusiastic. Not really written in order to express anything profound or meant to be a lesson, through this medium. An essay would convey that notion better. In poem, there is necessity for brevity and necessity for vibing within the limits of poetic expression.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:28 pm

Dear friend,

I feel that you seriously underestimate your own abilities as a poet, as well as the ability of your verse to be able to not only communicate a message or lesson, but at the same time bring out the appropriate emotional responses from the person reading it (which tends to make the message or lesson more powerful, and longer lasting in its effects).

Which is rarely possible through an essay.

Making yourself appear like a teenager (at least on the surface) when you are middle aged or older is not a healthy past time or pretty sight, but we all at times as we age need to learn to think like a younger person does, and recognise and honour our own inner teenager.

Think like a young person as well as thinking like a person of your own age when needed, and the negative affects of aging may be delayed and your later years become happier ones than they might have been if you had not learned some times to think young.

Understood?

Brian :smt024

BlackKnight DanielMichael

Post by BlackKnight DanielMichael » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:14 am

I enjoyed visiting the Temple of Rebirth in the Metropolitan Toronto Ontario Canada. When dead what one returns as is what is required by GOD.

Return to “Poetry and Literature”