When a member leaves the band..so does the career...

Music soothes your soul like nothing else can.This is the right place to talk about your favourite music...

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

middi1

When a member leaves the band..so does the career...

Post by middi1 » Tue May 08, 2007 5:38 am

Remember the Spice Girls?  What happened when Geri (Ginger Spice) left?

What about Envouge when Dawn left?   Tony Toni Tone?   Diana Ross?  Insync?   Kittie?

Interesting isn’t it?  Just a thought, but one that concerns me as a musician.

It seems to me, that it’s very hard, and very rare to find that perfect mix of  talent and personalities, with the right chemistry to make (if you will) a super group.  This doesn’t just apply to music... you see it in sports teams, politics, etc.

When their on fire, making money doing what they love, traveling, doing and seeing things they’ve never seen before..I’m quite sure if feels like heaven (minus all the hard work that goes into it).  But when one member moves on, it seems as though, no one can ever take that members place.  Some recruit and move on, but with less zeal and flavor. It seems that they die down, and are never heard from again, and that’s sad.

Where am I going with all of this?  No where, and everywhere.

The one thing I feel will always stay constant, is that Music.  People, Places, and Things will come and go..but Music is 4ever ;)

Thank You.

Mali

Post by Mali » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:05 pm

That for sure I am right with you, I mean that music is forever.
Nothing will be able to take the place of music.
It has always existed.
All kind of style is great since it's good to listen.
But one thing also is that the old bands have always existed with or without the members.
The band which we have now don't last for long but there is some great new band which has known how to capture the heart of there fans.
Birth is a miracle...and even death

7thhousedweller

Post by 7thhousedweller » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:52 am

I agree - I find that this is more true when it comes to singing groups, like the ones you mentioned. However, in rock bands there can be a rotation and while it takes an adjustment period, it can work. I'm thinking of AC/DC when Bon Scott passed away and Van Halen when Dave left or even Joy Division who evolved into New Order after the death of lead singer Ian Curtis. I know there are more but I can't think of it right now...

musicmania17

Bands and band members...

Post by musicmania17 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:38 am

What you say sure has a point. Once a band gets used to a particular set of members, and gets 'settled' into a particular 'sound', it is very difficult to continue with a different set of members, in case of some members leaving the band.

I myself have been a member of an amateur Fusion band since 2002. The band has seen many ups and downs, and lots of changes in the line up of members, on a periodic basis.

But I was quite committed to taking the band and its music ahead, despite all challenges, and hence decided to go ahead with newer set of members.

Yes, the music does change in the process, to some extent. Members  have their own playing styles & 'feel', and contribute in different ways to the overall sound of the band, or even in the way a single composition/track is constructed.

But the idea is to keep the music alive. Change of sound is a part and parcel of the game of evolution, and you have to take it that way, in a positive sense, if you are seriously committed to sticking on & treading ahead.

Another classic example would be of Pink Floyd. The sound and feel that Roger Waters contributed to the band, was defined as the stamp of Floyd back then. But post all the issues the band had, and after Waters quit after a long association with Floyd, it was David Gilmour who took control of the band, and totally changed the 'sound and feel' of the band's music.

The change in sound that we are talking about, need not always be negative. If worked on sincerely, the change may even be for the better.

At other times, the members having a long association with the band, get too close, that on account of death or quitting of one or more of the members, the rest decide to disband.

In short, a single member quitting, need not always lead to the end of the careers of the band and its members. Now, it purely depends on the members of any band, on how committed they are, to taking the band and its music ahead. That alone, can decide on the career of the band and its members.

Return to “Music”