Indigo Girls Fan Group Discussions

Music soothes your soul like nothing else can.This is the right place to talk about your favourite music...

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

gator326

Indigo Girls Fan Group Discussions

Post by gator326 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:54 am

I am a huge Indigo Girls fan, and I am looking to start a discussion on them.

Possible topics:
Favorite Album/Song
Whose songs do you like better: Amy's or Emily's?
Have you seen them in concert? How many times? Where?
How have they inspired you?
Favorite lyrics?

secularprogressive

I. G.

Post by secularprogressive » Sat May 23, 2009 8:19 am

In addition to being a big fan also, I actually know them personally and worked for Amy for many years at her not-for-profit indie label Daemon Records.

In the beginning, I was more of an Emily kind of guy.  I'm attracted to musical complexity (being a musician/songwriter, myself) and Emily's stuff was generally more satisfying to me for that reason.  Amy's writing was more along the lines of the straightforward, simple, 3 chord rock song format (which she is incredibly good at) and that doesn't hold my attention as well as Emily's, which was a little more musically sophisticated and seemed to have more dimension and layering (I am speaking purely from a compositional standpoint here, not in terms of lyrical content, production values, presentation, etc).

However, around the time of their "Shaming of the Sun" release, I began to morph into an enthusiastic Amy appreciator.  It seemed to me then that Emily's songs didn't change much from album to album - she had her formula for songwriting and stuck to it.  Effective as it is, there's not a lot of growth there to keep me interested.  Amy became the songwriter to watch, because she was really pushing herself to explore new horizons and leave her comfort zone, something that is always to be applauded.  And applaud I did.  And I worship her solo albums (if you haven't heard 'em, I highly recommend them.  There are 3 of them, "Stag", "Prom", and "Didn't It Feel Kinder", all released on Daemon Records).  I am so blown away by who Amy has become, as a songwriter.  Emily seems kind of complacent to me now (though I still love her stuff) but Amy has really blossomed and come into her own in recent years.  

In closing though, I have to say that what's so cool about I. G. is that they both have so much talent and substance, and it's really tough to say who is better. The bottom line is that I really love them both and feel blessed to have their music in my life, you know?
Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment. ~Rumi

Return to “Music”