Why Gifted Children Have Homework Problems and What You Can Do About Them

The dynamics of Childcare and relationships have changed & needs a closer look... Discuss Parenting & Family issues here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

jfgg01

Why Gifted Children Have Homework Problems and What You Can Do About Them

Post by jfgg01 » Mon May 07, 2007 1:14 pm

Help Children Get Organized
Some children have problems getting with homework because they forget to bring it home, forget the books they need to do it, forget to take it back to school, or forget when it's due. If they do remember all that, they may lose the homework, which may eventually turn up -- at the end of the school year, stuffed with countless other papers in the child's desk or locker.

Eileen Bailey,Guide to ADD/ADHD, has some excellent suggestions for helping kids get organized. Although most gifted kids don't have ADD/ADHD, some need help keeping their work organized. One suggestion is the basket of preparation Children drop homework and books in a basket when they come home from school, get it from the basket when it's time to do homework, then put it back in the basket when it's done. In the morning everything they need is in one place, ready to take to school.

While you might get your child to do the homework and take it to school, there is no guarantee that your child will turn it in. What can you do to make sure the homework gets turned in? A plastic, expanding folder with separate compartments is a good way to help kids keep track of work that needs to be turned in. Each compartment can be labeled so that a child knows where the homework is for each class. The expanding folder can be used along with the Basket of Preparation. When homework is completed, rather than just placing it in the basket, it can be placed in the appropriate compartment of the expanding folder, which is kept in the basket.

These techniques can work for teens as well as young children, but teens might also find an electronic organizer, such as a palm pilot, useful. Teens love electronic gadgets, so they might be more motivated to keep track of their work electronically. It eliminates assignments written in numerous different places, including little scraps of paper. However, this might not be a good choice for those children who lose more than their homework.

Ideally, teachers will recognize the need for more challenging homework and will be willing to provide it. However, if a child has had issues getting homework done and turned in for so long that it has become a habit, other strategies may be needed at school, whether the teachers provide more challenging work or not. Some schools have homework hotlines that parents can call to find out about homework assignments. In addition, some teachers have Web sites, where they post assignments. Parents can check with their child's teachers to see if such a hotline exists and if so, what the teachers' extension numbers are for that hotline. Parents can also check on Web sites and get the Web address.

Parents can also arrange with a teacher to sign daily papers about homework. Every day a child writes down homework and has the teacher sign a paper, even when there is no homework. Children cannot say they have no homework when they do. On those days children have no homework, they should still spend their designated homework time studying. However, for this system to work, children and parents must agree on a consequence for failing to bring home a signed homework sheet.
Incluso en lo mas obscura de las noches, es posible encontrar algo de luz.

bipuls

Matrimonial Database

Post by bipuls » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:48 pm

Better to maintain matrimonial information database as well to get more customers

Deborah

Post by Deborah » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:47 pm

Some children forget yes..there are ways to help them - color code ... a note book FOR EVERYTHING  helps.. matching stickers

H is for Home - means this folder comes HOME every day

Deborah

Post by Deborah » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:37 am

Gifted Children and home work problems

The term Gifted sometimes is changed to CHALLENGED .. Or they may attend Challenge classes.

My daughter was in a Challenge class part of the day ..until she became very ill / high fever and missed lots of school........ she caught back up but the program required less absentees ...... this was out of everyones hands.

I then had to give her challenges at home.. I had to come up with the "extras" since the school system could not provide these any more .........

I Posted earlier in a hurry and wanted to come back and touch this ...

I think your question is pretty well unclear... not ALL gifted children miss homework and such ..just like not all boys are hyper.

I found this web article that may help you .. I will post it please let me know if it was helpful and if you need further assistance.

http://school.familyeducation.com/gifte ... 41859.html

kybunker

Post by kybunker » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:15 pm

Thanks for the post!
My son is going to love reading it, finding out that it's not just him,
We've had a heck of a time with him,

He's the only kid in our family that has never had homework since the 3rd grade! (lol)
My daughter on the other hand gets straight A's and has embraced her ablities.

Dominyque

homework

Post by Dominyque » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:29 pm

As one who was labeled "gifted" and supposedly going to go far, I can relate to this. I never did homework in school, and still graduated with nearly a "B" average. If I was to do my homework, there was so much that it would have taken me past midnight to complete. None of my teachers seemed to be aware that the homework load that they were giving was but a small bit of the whole. They each seemed to act as if they were the only one giving me homework and loaded enough on me to take about an hour or so on just THAT class. Moreover, what is the purpose of homework anyway, everything is already covered in class!
And then, to add insult to injury, they make homework part of the grade! Worse, most of the homework comes from classes that are "required" such as English which is the same thing every year! I already SPEAK(and write) English! Those "required classes were always a thorn in my side preventing me from taking all the classes I wanted to take because there are only a certain small number of periods, and most of them are filled with "required" classes which I may not even need or want, such as English, History,Social Studies(whatever THAT is. seemed to be a repeat of history actually), and even PE(which I definitely did not want OR need. It was only in my senior year that I (finally), could take Electronics. I had been waiting since 5th grade to take THAT, but there was never any open periods to fit it in.

What is lacking in the schools is getting the students INTERESTED in what they study. They are force fed a pablum diet and then expected to excel. They should be allowed to tailor their classes upon what they are REALLY interested in. We might then see a change. I know it would have been a big help to me had that been done.

ricalyn03

Post by ricalyn03 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:20 am

As a parents, I am worried when I see my son did not wanted to do his homework. Sometimes he was lazy and sometimes he don't know what to do on his homework. With your post, I got an idea what to do or how can I help my son in doing his homework. Thank you!
ricalyn duhab

Kimmee

Post by Kimmee » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:57 pm

I just graduated high school... let me tell you what to tell your kids...

Do your homework and get a high school diploma, or you won't get a decent job! High school itself is the key to a healthy adult career. You don't need college, but you do need high school. A GED is NOT the same, I found that out the hard way and went back to high school myself. It sucked, and I did it anyway. Just do your homework, study enough, and get it done the first time.

That's all I can say for you to say to your children. High school is key, anything above it isn't necessity. So just STUDY ENOUGH FOR A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA! That is #1, just the diploma! KEEP AN EYE ON THAT GOAL! heh, I sure did. I had to drop out due to schizophrenia or whatever... went back 15 months later and I did get a diploma. So kiss my sweet cakes everyone out there with a GED, I actually did go back long enough to get a real diploma after being labeled "special" *ROFL* It really CAN work out if you keep focused on your ultimate goal -- GRADUATION! woohoo! :D

cristine27

Post by cristine27 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:43 am

In the country where I live, a new homework rule is implemented. No homework on weekends for all students. The department of education emphasizes that they are implementing the rule so that students can spend quality time with their family.  

Term Paper

Return to “Family And Parenting”