Successful Parenting

The dynamics of Childcare and relationships have changed & needs a closer look... Discuss Parenting & Family issues here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

manoj8385

Successful Parenting

Post by manoj8385 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:08 pm

What are the things to be considered to become a successful Parenting?

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:46 pm

If anybody finds out- let me know, I guess most of us bumble along doing the best we can, as far as I can see there is no guaranteed method of success (and how would you define success anyway?).

hitismek

Post by hitismek » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:58 am

Lol there is no answer I have won some and lost some battles with this one.... in the end me thinks u can only do the best you can and in the end it is up to them.... :)

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:29 pm

If we are really lucky, they get through and survive - somehow.

hitismek

Post by hitismek » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:23 pm

[quote="Prof. Akers"]If we are really lucky, they get through and survive - somehow.[/quote]

Lol... and If we are really really lucky, we survive them too somehow  :)

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:31 am

One of the great bits about getting older is your kids getting middle aged, I love to hear them whinge about piles, baldness, the menopause - it's great fun, my wife and I roll about laughing at them - of course no-one ever had these problems before, just like when they were younger they invented sex.
Now their kids are inventing sex - all over again and we don't have to worry, lifes' great sometimes.

Deborah

Re: Successful Parenting

Post by Deborah » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:51 pm

manoj8385 wrote:What are the things to be considered to become a successful Parenting?
There is no hand book on this - trail and error

I feel communication is the key!  Good listening skills is a must ... and being strong through many hard times!

thecatalystcoach

Post by thecatalystcoach » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:38 am

I generally operate under the assumption that no matter what you do, you will screw them up for life in some way!   :smt003

All I can give you is love them, keep them safe, and don't ever put them down.
Shawna The Catalyst Coach:
Moving Moms From Functioning to Inspiring!

kgirlsmomma

Post by kgirlsmomma » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:29 pm

The ability to unconditionally love them.  Teach them to learn discernment, instead of judgment...Give them roots & wings, but as a previous blog states..avoid being 'helicopter' parents..allow them room for mistakes & growth.

white_feather_dancing

Post by white_feather_dancing » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:31 pm

How about "You've had successful parenting if none of your children have been in jail for anything before they become adullts AND they stay out of jail as adults."

Other than that I think that parenting is just trial and error. Nobody is perfect nor can they be expected to be.
Life is too short to be closed-minded. Open your heart and mind to new ideas. Try something new today--you might find you like it.

Mandimedea

Post by Mandimedea » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:56 am

It takes a lot of patience, unconditional love, good morals, constant education and support.

Medical Astrology

Post by Medical Astrology » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:04 am

We were taught the following ten rules, in our parenting class:

1. What you do matters.

2. You cannot be too loving.

3. Be involved in your child’s life.

4. Adapt your parenting to fit your child.

5. Establish and set rules.

6. Foster your child’s independence.

7. Be consistent.

8. Avoid harsh discipline.

9. Explain your rules and decisions.

10. Treat your child with respect.
Dr. Jayashree Joshi, (MD) Physician and Herbalist
EXCLUSIVE FOCUS ON HEALTH ISSUES, with solutions through VEDIC ASTROLOGY.

CoolDude

Post by CoolDude » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:49 am

There is no measure for successful parenting. We all have been raised successfully by our parents and believe that they took great care in raising us. That's what you do to raise your kids. Just teach them good habits, be polite and respectful to others. Provide them good education and love them.

JelliedJonquil

Post by JelliedJonquil » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:06 pm

I think if you explain some things, and they get a broader view of consequences then they will make their own mistakes without coming into too much harm.  Rather than keeping some things a 'secret' because you feel they are not old enough, if they ask, then obviously they have some knowledge and are ready, far better to have a clear and concise ones than some made up rumour or ill-meaning advise.

I can see where my parents have made their mistakes with us, and I obviously know the mistakes their own parents did with them, to listen and learn and strive to do better is the only thing I can think of.

I think and believe, peoples own ideas of what constitutes as a 'successful parenting' is diverse and varied, depending on culture, experiences and religion.  So no easy answers here!

JJ
Faith in oneself to believe in faith to believe in oneself.  JJ

Aegeus

Post by Aegeus » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:25 pm

Don't lie to them, or they may end up lying to you. Also giving them truthful answers raises them with greater awareness and acceptance of what is. Plus if their gonna here about something it's much better they hear about it from someone they can trust. Sheltering them from reality and telling them things are different then they are is setting them up for disappointment. While giving them true awareness may foster them to grow up to be the change that balances the world out.

For instance my mum grew up with alcoholism all around her and she decided that she didn't want to be an alcoholic and she passed this trait down to me. On the opposite side I know kids who grew up in a hard core fundamentalist Christian environment and were sheltered their whole lives and they have both suffered with conditions which compromise organ function.

Encourage their creativity and their interests and let them choose the path they take while giving them a taste for different things they may choose to pursue.

Allow them room and time to grow. Kids know much instinctively. Like how to breathe properly and live free of stress. There is so much to learn from them and you can't expect them to learn from you if you refuse to learn from them. A lot could be accomplished by encouraging their instincts rather then impressing bad habits upon them. Example being how as kids get older they generally forget how to breathe properly and much else by picking up on the bad habits of those around them.

Lead by example. If you don't take your shoes off at the door they will listen to this action and think that it must be ok even if you say other wise.
"Permacultre is revolution disguised  as gardening"

Return to “Family And Parenting”