How Should I pick out a Preschool / Nursery School

The dynamics of Childcare and relationships have changed & needs a closer look... Discuss Parenting & Family issues here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Deborah

How Should I pick out a Preschool / Nursery School

Post by Deborah » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:54 pm

I will follow up with this but would like to hear inputs -
if you would not mind to post your country beside your entry... Different cultures could be taken different ways.  :)

ForEverLoving

Basics to finding a good Nursery School/Pre-school

Post by ForEverLoving » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:12 pm

Ask yourself, what it is you want for your child?
Do you want a babysitter, or do you want your child to have a head
start on the road of education?

Look up a few places in the phone book, see if there is more information online.

Go do a walk-in visit. Just walk right in and ask questions on behalf of your child.

Be sure to go by when parents are picking up their child, so that you can ask them why they chose that particular pre-school.

You are placing your child into someone else's care so be sure to ask as many questions as possible. Use your intuition, use your first impression.

Trust yourself and you will pick the right place for your child.

The Bottom Line Take some time, look around and find the best program for your child.

I live in Arizona USA
Divine Blessings and Love for EverMore and a Day

mickymac

how should i pick out a pre school

Post by mickymac » Thu May 08, 2008 1:30 am

visit the school yourself and speak to parents whos children have either recently loined the school or have been at the
school a while.
always remember the decisions you make towards your childs development are the most important decisions you yourself will
make that will affect your child
although most parents have their childs best interests at heart some times they can be blinded by what will benefit their child the
most and wgat is really benefitting themselves.
taking your time is always a good starting point.
thinking of what is the best outcome for your child is DEFINATELY the best starting point.
GOOD LUCK
blessedbe

Quirita

same situatuin USA

Post by Quirita » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:22 am

i am in the same boat. needing to find a good preschool. i worry that if something happens to my child or if my child is hurt abused by an adult at the school she wont be able to express it. thats the worst of my fears...

Lizzy

Post by Lizzy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:44 am

I taught preschool for several years, ages 15 months through 5 years, and the first thing I would suggest is to visit the school when it is in full session and bring your child along to get their reaction. &nbsp;Many preschools are equally good, so the important thing is to get the right fit for your family. &nbsp;Things to look for would be : staff to child ratio- 1 adult to 6 children age 3 and older. &nbsp;Open door policy- parents should be able to drop in and observe quietly, whenever. &nbsp;Look for a school that has a large indoor play area with many things that promote creative play like sand and water tables and large building blocks, play tunnels and tents and lots of dress up play. &nbsp;Ideally there will be a safe outdoor play area as well. Ask about lesson plans, and circle time, which should include storytime, music and fingerplays. &nbsp;All staff should be CPR certified, and there should be clear cut &nbsp;safety practices and an emergency plan as needed. &nbsp;Above all else, go with your gut feeling, if the staff are warm and friendly, the atmosphere is positive and child centered and other families are satisfied, and your child is excited and ready, give it a try and see how it fits after a week. &nbsp;good luck all, hugs <3 <3 Lizzy :smt031 MI. USA

tulip

Post by tulip » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:19 pm

Ok,I have done nursery and now do afterschool care,I can give advice for you if you are in Uk.Im in Scotland,so it might be slightly different in England.Check out the Education board or council websites,you should get names of &nbsp;places there.They should all be rated.If in Scotland phone up to see if you can visit,you can't just turn up,I take it everywhere is like that.All establishments should have qualified staff.If you get a visit ask to see Care commission report,I don't know the English or US equivilant.Once you are happy with place and you are offered a placement it is recommended small visits with your child,it should work depending on child and age.At the end of the day its personal choice.Your nursery should cover SPICE or something similar.Remeber there are differences between nurseries and playgroups.Any questions feel free to PM me.

tulip

Return to “Family And Parenting”