children

The dynamics of Childcare and relationships have changed & needs a closer look... Discuss Parenting & Family issues here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

gkdattaraj

children

Post by gkdattaraj » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:37 pm

what do you find most effective in motivating a child aged 9-12

Deborah

Post by Deborah » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:02 pm

Positive words positive environment!

Can  you be more specific on what you are looking for?

For example child gets into trouble at school --- Every day you tell the child be good come home with good reports --yes sounds positive but also sounds like lost of faith in the child .. instead reword ur words .. Have a great day today and make some great choices!  See just simple positive words can make change happen!

ForEverLoving

Motivating a Child ages 9-12

Post by ForEverLoving » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:38 am

Yes!  Positive is the Key word with today's children.

It also helps to ask what the child thinks, and to LISTEN to what they are saying. In most cases they will tell you what they feel and what they are interested in. By listening to what they are expressing, you will learn to know what will motivate them.

If they are acknowledged, they will share their feeling openly.
Divine Blessings and Love for EverMore and a Day

prasanna

CHILDREN LEARN WHAT THEY LIVE

Post by prasanna » Tue May 06, 2008 11:39 pm

Children Learn What They Live

by Dorothy Nolte

If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.

If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.

If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.

If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.

If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.

If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.

If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.

If children live with acceptance, they learn love.

Dorothy Nolte wrote this poem and in 1998 collaborated with Rachel Harris to turn it into a book. The book entitled “Children Learn What They Live: Parenting to Inspire Values” sold over three million copies worldwide. She died in November, 2005 in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA at the age of 81. Her poem and book are gifts for future generations of caring parents. Thank you Ms. Nolte for this valuable Teaching Moment.

prasanna

LEAD, KINDLY LIGHT. LOVE IS GOD, LOVE IS OCEAN, " Love Is Eternal. " LIVE TO LOVE TO LIVE.

mickymac

child motivation

Post by mickymac » Thu May 08, 2008 1:44 am

any lessons in life that you wish to teach your child including motivation should begin at home.
a good stance at home along with loving support should help in any form of motivation for a child.
REMEMBER with motivation normally requires trust and a bit of independance in a child.
blessedbe

postalsusie

Hmmm..

Post by postalsusie » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:16 pm

From the time my kids were old enough to talk I taught them that

school = money = toys ( like bikes and video games and cars and trucks)
and...
one trick to life is finding something you LOVE to do,that people will pay your for.

When they complained about Math I showed them that math was all about money, (everybody likes money)so you better be able to figure it out otherwise youre going to get ripped off *s*

I dont believe in this new  junk~ of rewarding a child with food, treats or money. I taught my kids that the reward is how GOOD they feel.

also... * warm smile*
I bought this thing... small poster.. at Walmart or something for 5$ and I cant remember what it said, but it was an amusing little poem and about something like ..'the prize doesnt always go to the guy that is the best, but goes to the guy that tries the hardest'

It was longer than that but.. I hung it in a well traveled place.. ( above the toaster *g*)
Years later my son and I were talking and he turned and said I KNOW I KNOW and then he spouted that poem ... perfectly. *s*

repetitive learning works. *s* Especially if its in a fun way.
I haven't had my coffee yet, so don't make me hurt you ;)

janke

Treats

Post by janke » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:53 am

Children love activities where time is spend with parents and siblings, such as a trip to the zoo

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:58 pm

Janke is  rite,  every parent  myst take their children to Zoo, so that    children,   can learn   many good things from watching lovely animals.
prasanna

LEAD, KINDLY LIGHT. LOVE IS GOD, LOVE IS OCEAN, " Love Is Eternal. " LIVE TO LOVE TO LIVE.

Garrin

4 year old boy

Post by Garrin » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:13 pm

What are any thoughts on when a child sould be introduced into "other forms of religion" like Wicca? I mean I dont want him going to school and telling everyone, so when is a good age?
blessed be ...Garrin

Garrin

I agree

Post by Garrin » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:17 pm

I think kids today are getting too many...freebies and too little common sense...Video games were a thing but not your whole day when I was young we rode bikes and played outside alot.
blessed be ...Garrin

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:40 pm

todays kids must be encouraged to play out door games instead of sitting and watching TV's ,computer games, play stations, all these are harming their eye sights, they must be introduced to nature, parents must allot some time to play in open grounds.  They must be encouraged to learn swimming ,cycling  simple yoga postures .There must be some elders to teach some moral stories .  I feel toys which we select for our kids must promote some good habits and toys like guns and all should not be encouraged. I feel myself a successful parent to bring my son a good human of 23 years now, i used to play with him in his childhood, and he  still considers me his best friend all these years.
He is  able to share all his views with me.  I decided myself to devote my future time, to be spent with my grand children, if i am blessed with  to do so.  I trust my GOD will give me those happiness ., and  i am always thank full to HIM.
prasanna

swduryee

Post by swduryee » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:47 pm

It is important for children today to learn self respect as well as respecting others. When my children were little I started teaching them that respecting theirself and siblings as well as their elders. I also spent time with them from playing games, exercising, educating before they started school etc. Today, however, my oldest who just graduated from high school with a 4.0 avarage begins an honors program at college in the fall. She also works at a no kill animal shelter. My second daughter, who will be a senior in high school next year is on the A honor roll as well as after school projects, sports, and she also works at the no kill animal shelter as well. My son who will be in the 10th grade come fall is in JROTC as well as sports my youngest daughter who will be in the 8th grade is on 2 different cheer teams one for school, which she is a captain, as well as a competition cheer team, she is also on the honor roll. However, when they are not busy and finished with their homework they help each other, etc. We still spend time with each other and go places as a family.

When there are positive influences in childrens life and they are taught thing and not having things handed to them, they become great people as they get older and stay out of trouble and being wrongly influenced. I also taught them to be independent and strong willed and not let others talk them into doing anything that they know is wrong or it is something that they don't want to do.

I have also set a side, everyday, to talk to them and listen to what they had to say, what was on their mind, how they felt etc. Today we talk about EVERYTHING we are a very close family and after my divorce, which was about 10 years ago from their dad, we became even closer. We still have that relationship that we have had since they were little.
Sharon

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:02 pm

dear swduryee

hearty welcome to the  mystic board,  i appreciate your sharing,, do post more and try To participate in all forums , wish u  GOOD  TIME HERE.
prasanna

Return to “Family And Parenting”