Teaching Children how and when to say "no"

The dynamics of Childcare and relationships have changed & needs a closer look... Discuss Parenting & Family issues here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Quirita

Teaching Children how and when to say "no"

Post by Quirita » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:03 am

I am the mother of 3. ages 4, 2, and 3 months.
Recently I have been struggling with my 4 year old who always wants to tell me "no" when I ask or tell her to do something she doesnt want to do.
I understand that its her showing her independence and all and I dont want to tell her (like some adults do) that children are not to say no to adults. I dont want her to be afraid to voice her oppinion either.
 I am lost. I want to teach her when "no" is appropriate i.e someone causing hurt harm or danger in one way or another..I also want to teach her that "no" is not an option when I am giving her instruction.  ANy Advice?

Bandit81101

Re: Teaching Children how and when to say "no"

Post by Bandit81101 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:42 pm

Quirita wrote:I am the mother of 3. ages 4, 2, and 3 months.
Recently I have been struggling with my 4 year old who always wants to tell me "no" when I ask or tell her to do something she doesnt want to do.
I understand that its her showing her independence and all and I dont want to tell her (like some adults do) that children are not to say no to adults. I dont want her to be afraid to voice her oppinion either.
 I am lost. I want to teach her when "no" is appropriate i.e someone causing hurt harm or danger in one way or another..I also want to teach her that "no" is not an option when I am giving her instruction.  ANy Advice?
You want to make sure that you don't tell her not to say no to adults, there will come a time in her future when she may need to.  Allowing her that, will help her throught those times.
As for the no problem now, try a different approach.  Instead of (for example) telling her to eat her peas and hearing no, ask her to make a choice. (It is about her own independence after all.)  "Would you like peas or carrots?"  And you can find ideas like that for most situations. "Would you rather brush your teeth before of after your bath?"

I hope that works, that's what worked for my kids :)
Fairytales don't tell children that dragons exist, they already know that dragons exist.  Fairytales tell them that dragons can be defeated.

Cali4niaGirlz

Post by Cali4niaGirlz » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:53 am

Oh my.......... I remember that age well.

I think I asked everyone that very same question as well! You know what response I got from a few people?

They told me that my children were just copying their learned behavior. When I heard that, I took a step back and tried to think before I spoke. Lo and behold, I was the culprit of that very same reaction!

I never realized how many times the word "no" came out of my mouth! No wonder why my children answered no when I would ask them to do something. I had to re-learn my responses to thier demands. Only then will theirs change.

Just as Bandit81101 mentioned, give them a choice, not a demand. Your children will then start to do that to you as well.

:)

soulsearch

Post by soulsearch » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:53 am

WOw ! 3 kids under the age of 5. I cannot simply imagine how you manage.

It is a tough terrain where you want your child to voice her opinion yet you do not want to give her an option of saying 'No' when you are giving her instructions.

What works for me is to put yourself in the childs shoes.You want to aggressivley not do something but have to do it. It could get frustrating.
Please dont get me wrong...every situation is different and as a parent we want the best for our child

Engaging cooperation is a tough task,especially at an age wherein decision making and independence is a need for them. Autonomy is big virtue that you can give them with smaller tools like choice making,ownership etc.There are certain rules too..but for all members of the family.

I am sure you will be fine.
Take care !

karendoherty

Post by karendoherty » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:02 am

hi - my daughter is 8 months and im at the oppoisite stage - im trying to get her to realise then when mommy says no she means it.  At the moment she just laughs at me and continutes with what she is doing.  Its so funny though - I really have to try hard to keep a straight face - I think shes got me wrapped around her little finger already !!!  It will be very though when she is the one telling me no.  I think the idea of giving her a choice is very good - i will be keeping that in mind and implementing it early on.

Thanks
karen
Kind regards,
Karen
No links in signatures!

JelliedJonquil

Post by JelliedJonquil » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:21 pm

Ha haha

I have 3 kids, 6,3 and 7 months.

Ask a child if they would do something you want is asking for trouble, don't give your child a question in which they have a choice.  If you wish for them to tidy up, put their coats on, shoes on, to stop misbehaving, TELL them.  

This isn't a question that they can answer, you are instructing them to do what you want them to do, failure to do so will see the consequences of their actions.  I remove the toys after I tidy up, lock them in the garage for a day (next day), the next time I tell them to tidy up, they know by refusing they will face a day without toys, and tidy up without any quibble.  It takes several goes before they realise what's happening.

If they refuse to put their coats on, either myself or my husband will get in the car with the child that put their coat on and go out, the offending child remains at home.  

I know that sounds harsh to do, but in the long run it makes it easier for myself and the children if they do as they are told.

My children are very resolute in expressing their opinions, I think they know the difference between voicing their opinion on something and refute what you are telling them to do.  

I just think your child is now testing boundaries and see how far they can go, it is not about you stamping down on them voicing their opinions, it is them seeing just how far they can push you.  My eldest is 6 and phased out of this behaviour as he knows where the boundaries are, hence why I think that is what your child is doing.  Happy Parenting!

JJ
Faith in oneself to believe in faith to believe in oneself.  JJ

Return to “Family And Parenting”