Experienced mother

The dynamics of Childcare and relationships have changed & needs a closer look... Discuss Parenting & Family issues here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

nighthawk

Experienced mother

Post by nighthawk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:46 am

I have been in many common situations as a mother, and I would like to help anyone that wants advice. I have had 8 pregnancies, 3 miscarriages, and 5 kids. My oldest son has had so many mental illness diagnosis that I've lost count. I've been married once, to an abusive, mentally ill man, I've been a single mom without any resources, I've had to move back in with my parents, I've moved out again and gotten education and good jobs, I am living with a nice man now that is a real father to all the kids.
I would not say I am any kind of expert, but I've been there, done that with many many things. I hope I can help someone else learn from my many mistakes and my sucesses. My kids are in age: boy-15, girl-13, boy-9, girl-7, and girl-15 months.

Crow

Potty Training

Post by Crow » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:24 am

Nighthawk,

My little boy who is now 3 years old and is ready to potty.  He does have Autism, so it is a little different.  I don't know how to potty train little boys.  Right now I have him standing up holding his lou lou.  He had done it for me 3 times this week. Other times he just takes off his daiper and goes potty on the floor! Then he comes up to me and says, potty, potty. Never really before he goes potty will he tell me. The girls were better at telling me.  They didn't like a potty chair and refused to sit on them. So it was the big toliet for them.  I would ask ever 20 minutes if they had to go potty. This helped alot. But with my little guy he just wants to go in there and flush the toliet.  You have 2 boys, what helped you to potty train them?  Thinking target practice with cherrios. HAHAHA!:smt005

Thanks in advance

Safe Journey
I drempt that I was one of a million pieces only to find myself whole in everything I looked at. Only to re-shatter the memory.

nighthawk

Post by nighthawk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:57 pm

In my experience, boys are harder to potty train than girls. At least my boys. One of my oldest boy's diagnosis was Ausburgers and even now at 15 he still has potty issues. :( My youngest girl that's trained (7) was simple to train, I showed her some really pretty panties and said, you can wear these if you use the potty. Poof! done. lol Then again, she is a princess, and princesses Do Not potty in their pretty panties. lol
It sounds like your boy is doing the 'normal' things with boy potty training. I dislike potty chairs as I don't feel they are really what they are needing to learn, so I get those potty rings that go over the big potty so they don't fall in. ( Very frightening and upsetting to a child) I would start with the boy sitting down, it's much easier that way. They don't have to worry so much about balance and aim and get more confidence built up. When they are bit taller and used to using the potty, you can teach him about 'how big boys pee'. And that will be new and exciting for him after he's able to figure out When he needs to go. Then it's cheerio practice time! And for goodness sakes, please remember to hold that toilet ring up for them. One episode of the ring falling down on a little lulu will really set them back! yikes!
Setting up a regular schedule to potty helps, don't ask them if they need to, they don't know yet until they are actually going. First thing in the morning, after meals, before naps, every hour or so. Lots of praise, no shaming. Also important not to make a huge production of it, this puts too much pressure to preform! Just matter of fact attitude, time to go potty, good job, kiddo! or next time let's potty in the toilet, ok? avoid turning it into a power/control issue.  As with any child teaching effort, LOTS of patience. Try not to set up a deadline, but let them go (lol) at their own pace.
Hope this helped!!

nighthawk

Post by nighthawk » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:01 pm

remembered another potty training tip! Diapers are meant to be comfortable, keep the child dry, so sometimes they don't really mind being wet. That may make it harder to get them to use the potty. One trick is to get potty training underware- they are cloth and a bit thicker than normal underware, or you can also use regualr underware and rubber waterproof pants over them to keep the couch safe! This way when they wet, it feels icky insteady of diaper comfy. This can encourage them to use the big potty. :) Just remember to be extra careful of rashes. Personally I find toilet training the worst part of parenting, but that's just me. :)

Crow

Post by Crow » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:11 pm

Nighthawk,

Thank you for all your suggestions.  Right now I am using cloth diapers with rubber pants and nice diapers when they nap/sleep.  The boys really don't get diaper rashes, sometimes heat rashes than I use A & D ointment for their bottoms.  He usually says he has to go potty after the fact. Or he will go potty after we take him to the toliet.  Just not there yet.  I agree. I am finding it more difficult to potty train my son than it was to potty train my daughter. Now he has found his lou lou is a hose. What fun!  I forgot all about the little seats that go over the potty.  My daughter's didn't care much for them. They made me hold them over the potty.  Until they did it themselves.  I will try it with my little guy.  Thanks again for the tips. :)

Safe Journey
I drempt that I was one of a million pieces only to find myself whole in everything I looked at. Only to re-shatter the memory.

nighthawk

Post by nighthawk » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:30 pm

I used cloth diapers & disposibles at night with my youngest son too! After that, my life kinda went kablooey, so the last 2 didn't get cloth. I really liked the cloth ones though.  A&D works great, and I have to put in a plug for Boudreaux's butt paste, that stuff will cure anything in a hurry. They make the potty rings with or without handles on the side for extra balance. Once your little man gets the timing right, it'll go really quickly, I feel certain! Keep up the great work!

FairyQueen

reply back

Post by FairyQueen » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:21 am

Never read such thorough description before. Good as you gets it.

Hope you are having less trouble now.

Return to “Family And Parenting”