caffeine for migraines

If health is wealth, then surely beauty is what reflects it.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

remusa

caffeine for migraines

Post by remusa » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:50 am

Ihave had migraines all of my life, and if I don't have caffeine, I get a severe one. I drink a lot of diet drinks, but want to go off of them as much as possible. I can drink tea (unsweeted) with food, but not on an empty stomach. Any suggestions on what I can do instead?
Blessed be.  :smt018

PaganPriest

Post by PaganPriest » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:08 am

Most people who have a high caffeine intake (like myself) suffer from headaches if they don't have it. It'a all part of caffeine withdrawel. You should talk to your doctor about the situation and get proper medical advice. After all it is an addiction.

The only other thing I can suggest is a very gradual decrease in caffeine intake, so as to give your system time to adjust to lower levels.

remusa

caffeine

Post by remusa » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:47 am

Unfortunately, my doctor says that this is not simply an addiction. People who have migraines may have them triggered by either lack of caffeine or use of caffeine, depending on the person. One of my sisters, who also suffered from migraines, had to keep caffeine pills with her, on doctors orders. I have been told that even when I am going to have a test that normally says not to use caffeine for a certain number of hours beforehand, to use it anyway. Migraines are not like other headaches, and sufferers know there are triggers to avoid. Foods and certain chemicals affect migraine sufferers unlike people who have never had one.
As you can see, simply giving up caffeine is not an option for me. I only wish it were that simple. I would have done it a long time ago. I have tried, on several occasions, but it never worked. My doctors always told me to go back on the caffeine.
Thank you for your suggestion.
Blessed be.
:smt073

riddhi

Post by riddhi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:25 am

hi there.. well even i was suffering from migraine, but now touchwood.. i don't have any problem regarding the migrain..

Well as far as i knw.. when u have the migraine problem u should avoid taking the coca and caffine.. as it tirrgers the headache..

what i did tht simply stop the intake of the all tht things..

and ya when u get the headache u can keep a ice cube in ur mouth and let it melt or have a Vanilla icecream and also eat slowly let the ice-cream be melt in miuth by ti self.. i did all this and it helped me alot..

well i hope this might help u as well..

Sam117

Post by Sam117 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:22 am

Might I ask what was your original reason for wanting to get off caffeine? It sounds as if you have given up and already made a commitment to sticking to caffeine as help for your migraine. While I understand your frustration, and I am not trying to make light of your situation, but there might be other options out there. Have you ever tried prescription medication for your migraines? Over the years, there have also been some over-the-counter medications made specifically for migraines - you could also give these a try.

If your doctor has only caffeine to offer you, then it might also be beneficial to get a second opinion from another doctor, or conduct some of your own research from other medical literature, health magazines, from the internet, and so on. My best suggestion would be to talk to your doctor about other types of medication though. If that is not an option for you, what about trying to substitute caffeine from coffee or pills with dark chocolate? It might help as well.

I'm sorry I cannot give you any specific recommendations.

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:44 am

I have migraines, very debilitating ones due to a fall i had.  

I was given phrophylactic Amitriptyline which helps to prevent the migraines happening.

I was only ever told to have caffiene after a lumbar puncture i had, never to treat my migraines.

Suzi

Vlinder

Post by Vlinder » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:59 pm

Many years ago when I suffered occasionally from migraine (was in my case hormone-related, usually triggered off by stress) I read that drinking a strong cup of coffee could reduce the symptoms as during a migraine attack the blood vessels tighten and caffeine widened them.

Angelsway

Post by Angelsway » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:14 pm

Ihave had migraines all of my life, and if I don't have caffeine, I get a severe one. I drink a lot of diet drinks, but want to go off of them as much as possible. I can drink tea (unsweeted) with food, but not on an empty stomach. Any suggestions on what I can do instead?

Have you considered checking into the sweetener they put into most diet drinks now-a-days? ASPARTAME is now in a lot of diet drinks.  When I was working at a factory the maintenance guy brought me a paper he got off the internet warning me about it. When I googled it there was like a million pages it seemed. What I read was enough to get me to quit drinking any sugar free drink without checking to see that aspartame wasn't in there.
I googled again :
There are at least 91 symptoms of aspartame poisoning. (the FDA classes death as a symptom... I don't see ... http://www.dorway.com/badnews.html ).

and it's not just aspartame........I gained 60 pounds over the 15 years I used Equal in my coffee... and this formaldehyde-laced fat is still causing me NEW problems.
Aspartame / NutraSweet / Equal / Neotame

^Poisoning^, ^Toxicity Reactions^, ^Health Damage^ brought to you by

Monsanto / NutraSweet / Kelco / Benevia
            ^^^^^^^^   ^^^^^^^^^^   ^^^^^   ^^^^^^^
Google and check some of these out it's kind of scary what they let into our food and drinks now. I just seen where there is supposed to be a chemical in the milk now that causes cancer.. I'm gonna have to check that out   I LOVE milk I'll have to get my own cow.
Take care hun hope you feel better..........Jen

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:17 pm

Milk is not good for humans anyway.  Why drink something thats meant for calves.  We don't bottle breast milk and sell it nor do we give it to calves. lambs, goats etc.

Milk is very sticky once it enters the system and leaves traces of itself within the lungs, blood and bowels.

Your right about aspartme, its seen as a very dangerous substance in large quantities and its made from similar stuff that embalmers use for corpses.  Its also highly addictive and some people have real problems when they try to reduce and stop its consumption.

Suzi

Angelsway

Post by Angelsway » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:40 am

Wow Thanks I never knew that about milk, guess I won't be needing a cow after all:) Ya isn't that grand if you let the diet drink get to warm its breakdown products, or metabolites, are even scarier than its components. Phenylalanine decomposes into diketopiperazine (DKP) a known carcinogen. and double jeopardy here because even if products are kept at cooler temperatures they're still not safe. At cold temperatures, methanol will spontaneously give rise to a colorless toxin known as formaldehyde. I think it's sad how they let things pass FDA just for the money, in reality the FDA denied aspartame approval for 8 years and then came along the new  commissioner Arthur Hull Hayes who approved it I bet he has his hand in someones pocket. This is still small potatoes as to some of the things that have been going on in this country.
OOPS talken to much again laters:)

Deborah

Post by Deborah » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:45 pm

I will post a new topic regarding this ..

I too suffered with migraines .. the ones that were so crushing that I had to stay in a dark room and "wait" to throw up... just to feel better.

I have been soda free for some time now .. I do not crave it .. do not have headaches ... am not having leg craps / foot cramps (earlier post from years back will show me asking for help for these)

I do not drink any think that is not see through or natural

I do drink teas

sophie03

same for me

Post by sophie03 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:52 pm

I have had horrible migraines since i was 17 severe throwing up, nauseated, irritable, pains in all areas of the head at different times, i went and saw my nurologist he prescribed me gabapentin, i take 3 300mg pills a day, and they honestly have helped me a lot, if you want to go with a more natural route, go to your local health food store and pick up MACA, it comes in a powder form, this helps for migraines, menstrual cramps, helps increase your sexual drive plus much more, you can add it into your hot chocolate and you can barely even taste it, just make sure when you add it in there are no clumps, since its grinded into a powder form, you may catch some clumps you could strain it for a more finer formula then add in a teaspoon into your hot chocolate, any questions let me know hope this helps!

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:04 pm

Cheers for that information, never heard of it.  So going to have a wee look for it.

Thank you.

Suzi

giggledoll00

Post by giggledoll00 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:15 pm

i'm a heavy cocacola drinker and usually if i don't have some, or i end up drinking flat coke, i get a major headache, but if i take excedrin pm and sleep, and get lots of sleep, usually i can get through the withdrawls, o yeah and also drink lots and lots and lots and lots of water.

renuka_ir

Post by renuka_ir » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:08 am

You can try eating Neem or making a neem juice. It helps to decrease Migraine as it lowers the sugar and toxin in your body

Return to “Health And Beauty”