TODAYS VEGETABLE-RADISHES

If health is wealth, then surely beauty is what reflects it.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

prasanna

TODAYS VEGETABLE-RADISHES

Post by prasanna » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:16 am

Radishes

Radishes belong to the mustard family (Cruciferae), which explains their sharp taste, and they are related to broccoli as well as watercress. We think of the radish in basic red, but it can be found in white, black, purple, rose and even lavender.

We seldom think of a simple radish as a source of nutrition. A close look reveals that it is largely made up of water (more than 90 percent) yet contains as much potassium as bananas and about half the ascorbic acid of oranges. Radishes are also an excellent source of vitamin C and folate and a good source of magnesium.

Radishes can be found both trimmed and with their greens still attached. Buy firm, compact radishes (softer ones indicate a pithy interior). If the leaves are still attached, they should be fresh and bright green. Discard the leaves, place radish roots in a plastic bag and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.

RADISH - Raphanus sativus
Considered good appetite stimulators, radishes actually have very little food value. But they do add tang, texture, color and crunch to meals. Mentioned by Chinese philosopher Confucius back in 479 BC, radishes probably originated in China but are so ancient that their original ancestor is not known. The ancient Greeks ate radishes as well as turnips and beets. They were said to make vegetable sacrifices to the gods, carrying radishes on gold platters. These days artists carve the long radishes of Oaxaca, Mexico into elaborate sculptures for La Noche de los Rabanos, the night of the radishes. The long white Japanese radish or daikon is often pickled and eaten after the rice portion of the meal. Pickled daikon is said to be the number one pickled vegetable in Japan.

RADISH TOP SOUP

SUBMITTED BY: LAURA NASON  

"This is an easy recipe that uses an unlikely part of a vegetable we love to eat. It's thick and rich, and so hearty. I recommend eating it with a loaf of crusty bread!"

INGREDIENTS

* 2 tablespoons butter
   * 1 large onion, diced
   * 2 medium potatoes, sliced
   * 4 cups raw radish greens
   * 4 cups chicken broth
   * 1/3 cup heavy cream
   * 5 radishes, sliced

DIRECTIONS

1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and saute until tender. Mix in the potatoes and radish greens, coating them with the butter. Pour in chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
  2. Allow the soup mixture to cool slightly, and transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth.
  3. Return the mixture to the saucepan. Mix in the heavy cream. Cook and stir until well blended. Serve with radish slices
prasanna

LEAD, KINDLY LIGHT. LOVE IS GOD, LOVE IS OCEAN, " Love Is Eternal. " LIVE TO LOVE TO LIVE.

tourbi

Post by tourbi » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:28 pm

Thank you for sharing.  Well, that explains it.  I don't enjoy radishes and I don't like mustard.  
I appreciate your sharing all of this!! Image
Stand in Love,Walk in Love, Live in Love ड़ारा
Nora Roberts
Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, delight the heart. And they both take practice.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:44 am

[quote="tourbi"]Thank you for sharing.  Well, that explains it.  I don't enjoy radishes and I don't like mustard.  
I appreciate your sharing all of this!! [img]http://www.smileycons.com/img/summer/08.gif[/img][/quote]

WHAT? I simply love those two gifts from Nature and cannot live without :-(

Did I mention onions and garlic that keep my heart strong and clean? And Bihari Longia/Nettarhatia mirchis (extremely hot pepper!!)!

And I absolutely love icecreme and cheesecake and I am dying to taste again those sweet-creme filled crisp pastries I used to eat when I was a child growing in India: those were called cream-rolls. It has been nearly 45 years since I tasted one of those :-(/
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:22 am

dear ranjan anna and dear tourbi,

thanks for sharing your tastes, i would like to suggest my friend tourbi to go for tasting radish , iam sure she can enjoy it , if   she  finds tasty radish dishes

we always have some pre assumptions regarding vegetables, that one item doesnt suit me, only our mentality prevents us from taking such vegetables, i saw many chidren running away from bitter guard , at the same time , i have made sweety bitter guard recipes  and made those children love the bitter guarda thro my preparations, i have more fans to my bitter guard curry and bitter guard saambar, which we call pagar kai pittlai, south indians know what it is . and this is fine vegetable which can prevent the dieseas of diabetics, so we see ayurvedic medicnes with the content of bitter  guard, playing prominent cure in diabetics, at the same time one should be cautious , those undergoing homeopathic medicnes should never touch bitter guard , because it acts antidote to the original medicine and proves fatal , this is from my personal observations , which i saw from patients under the treatement of homeopathy.

Dear ranjanna i do find your nostalgic feelings towards your native land,  i too want to share mine ,  i too cant forget those mustard seeds grown   in lovely fields waving their lovely heads to the winds while traveling  in coramandal  coastal regions during 1989-92   from patna to chennai via calcuta, the fragrance of mustard oil, but one thing being a south indian i could enjoy all north indian dishes  made with  sunflower oil and i dislike mustard oil taste and smell ,   but i love the people, still i have  friends in those regions. , and cant forget my Bihari , bengali friends who taught me the preparations of allo paratha , mooli paratha and the lovely suka roti , because of them i could get more fans for my roti preparations and all my south indian friends comes to my house to enjoy north indian khaana , in my family i am the first person to introduce roties to the entire family , now many turned to the fans of north indian preparation in my family and friends circle.

Ranjanaana , i wish to tell u onething here , u may have liking towards icecreams, but u may be avoiding them to keep u fit , taking  one scoup natural ice cream preparations will increae your digestive  ability , so dont avoid them fully , take little icecrams after full  meals, i know bengalies take rasogullas after ur food, to keep the digestive organ in tact , knowing the impotance of sweet at the end of meals i also started tasting some sweets , but too mush is always harmfull i know.

I wish i should invite my friend tourbi and anna to my house   in  LA  to show my cooking abilities .

with love
prasanna
prasanna

LEAD, KINDLY LIGHT. LOVE IS GOD, LOVE IS OCEAN, " Love Is Eternal. " LIVE TO LOVE TO LIVE.

Kandace

Post by Kandace » Wed May 25, 2016 6:02 am

Scandinavian Summer Vegetable Soup

This is a beautiful and delicious vegetable soup! Everyone at my home loves it, and guests always ask for the recipe. Don't be thrown off by the radishes...they do not have a strong taste in the soup at all, and have a wonderful taste when cooked in the soup. You can top it with shredded cheese if you like...Serve with crusty french bread or yeast rolls! Enjoy!

Ingredients
4 cups fresh or frozen cauliflower florets
2 cups thinly sliced carrots
2 cups fresh or frozen green peas
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 teaspoon dried dill
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups cream
2 slightly beaten egg yolks
2 cups torn fresh spinach
10-12 radishes, sliced(1 cup)
Directions
1In a large covered saucepan, cook cauliflower, carrots, peas, green onion and dillweed in boiling salted water for 10 minutes. Drain, reserving cooking liquid; add water if necessary to measure 2 cups.
2In a large dutch oven, melt butter or margarine. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Add the reserved cooking liquid from the vegetables, the milk, and cream all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Slowly stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolk; return all to pan. Cook and stir over low heat 2 minutes more. Stir in cooked vegetables, spinach and radishes. Heat through.

Now if you want a recipe for a spicy soup, try this:

Hot And Spicy Chicken Soup Recipe

Ingredients
750ml chicken stock
1/4–1/2 red chilli, de-seeded and very finely chopped
1 small lemongrass stalk, outer leaves removed and finely chopped
1 teaspoon tamarind paste
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
A handful of coriander, stalks left whole and tied in a little bundle and leaves roughly chopped
160–180g skinless free-range chicken breast
1 spring onion, finely sliced
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 and a 1/2 to 2 tablespoons lime juice

Directions
Bring the stock to the boil in a saucepan with the chilli, lemongrass, tamarind paste, ginger and stalks of the coriander.
Once boiling, gently lower the chicken breast into the stock and simmer for 20 minutes, covered.
Turn the chicken over halfway through the cooking time. Discard the coriander stalks and remove the chicken breast.
Thinly slice the chicken and add back into the soup with the spring onion, chopped coriander, fish sauce and lime juice.
Reheat the soup and when piping hot, serve.
Recipe Source Masala TV
Both are great! enjoy :)

Talia

Post by Talia » Wed May 25, 2016 8:54 am

Soups are so easy to make and i never thought of cooking radishes, they are just a crisp addition to my salads, not any more lol!

Rohiniranjan, have you tried visualising eating the cream pastry that can be very rewarding :) Hope you are well :)

Return to “Health And Beauty”