What is your Favourite Book Ever?

Have you recently read a good book which you would recommend to others? Have you come across a book which put you to sleep? Discuss and review the book here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

sladoled77

hi

Post by sladoled77 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:09 am

Cosmic Consciousness
is the ultimate BOOK!

satchopage

[b]The science of getting rich[/b]by Wallace D. Wattles is a must read if you want alot.

Post by satchopage » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:48 am

The science of getting richby Wallace D. Wattles is a must read if you want alot.
What's the most productive thing you can do right now?

nyri

Post by nyri » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:59 pm

I love the Clan of Cave Bear and all the other books by Jean Auel - she's an excellent writer and goes into such interesting detail about how the two different types of humans interacted - it seems to take you way back to the beginning of time...

Theres also Winged Pharaoh written by Joan Grant - a clairvoyant who accessed the Akashic Records and wrote about her past life as an Egyptian princess...she also goes into detail about life at the beginning of time it seems..

As a child, I was totally immersed in the Chronicles of Narnia, loved all the fairytales ever written, will always remember and treasure 'The Little Wooden Horse', 'The Silver Sword', 'White Fang' and 'Pippi Longstocking'...

Two books I found absolutely mind-boggling because they totally changed everything I ever thought about the world are: 'There is a River' by Thomas Sugrue about Edgar Cayce and 'Ultimate Frontier' by Eklal Kueshana - the funny thing about Ultimate Frontier was that I would never have chosen it myself, it practically fell out of the bookshelf at the library so I just glanced through a couple of pages and decided to take it out. It is not a book one can ever read in one sitting - you need to put it down every so often to absorb the information, think about what it just told you and then re-read it over and over again!

Favourites? I have so many!!!!  Fiction, non-fiction, those mentioned in previous discussions, metaphysical, reincarnations, life after death, life before death, people who have triumphed over difficult childhoods and abuse, two books written by and about an autistic woman/author named 'Donna Williams', her books give such an insight into the autistic world!
A man's wealth is not measured by what he has but by what he gives away...

wedekit

Post by wedekit » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:32 pm

Mrs. Dalloway - Virginia Woolf

giggledoll00

Post by giggledoll00 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:12 pm

anything by john saul is rather good - here are some that i've liked
the manhatten hunt club **my favorite
midnight voices
second child
the right hand of evil **first one i read
unwanted
behold the power of three

Ani

Post by Ani » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:59 am

"Gone With the Wind" by Margaret Mitchel is my all time favorite. it impressed so much I couldn`t read anything else for quite a while.
"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho is also very enjoyable.
If there had to be a universal sound depicting peace, I would surely vote for the purr

tourbi

Post by tourbi » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:01 pm

I got stuck between Stranger in a Stranger Land and Time Enough for Love.  Both are by Robert Heinlein.  Stranger in a Strange Land is about  Michael Smith, a young man who grew up on Mars, raised by Martians.  His perception of earthlings and how he deals with us.  
Time Enough for Love is about Lazarus Long and the beginning of his very long life.  His philosophy, his attiudes.

The Libertarian Party is said to have been started  from the books of 2 authors, of course Ayn Rand (who is my other favorite) and Robert Heinlein.  They both believe in self responsibility.
He lived here in Colorado Springs for a while, I knew several people who had been friends with him. Some of the books make reference to the Springs.  
Oh, I didn't mention, Lazarus Long is the longest living man in history. Image
Stand in Love,Walk in Love, Live in Love ड़ारा
Nora Roberts
Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, delight the heart. And they both take practice.

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:48 pm

My favourite Heinlein book is "I will fear no evil"

Its a complx story about people and morality and not wanting to die.

The story was only ever a rough draft as Heinlein nearly died and was pretty sick for 2 years, so his wife elected to publish this story as is,  it lacked the polish that other Heinlein stories had, never the less its still a most excellent story and one of Heinleins most underrated.
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

Rohiniranjan

Redfield's Celestine Prophecy and Hilton's The Lost Horizon -- of course!

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:56 am

CLASSICS BOTH!

Anyone who does not trust my recommendation and has not read both! The solution is EASY!
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Rohiniranjan

May make sense only to those who were 20+ and into computers in 80s

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:05 am

[quote="tourbi"]I got stuck between Stranger in a Stranger Land and Time Enough for Love.  Both are by Robert Heinlein.  Stranger in a Strange Land is about  Michael Smith, a young man who grew up on Mars, raised by Martians.  His perception of earthlings and how he deals with us.  
Time Enough for Love is about Lazarus Long and the beginning of his very long life.  His philosophy, his attiudes.

The Libertarian Party is said to have been started  from the books of 2 authors, of course Ayn Rand (who is my other favorite) and Robert Heinlein.  They both believe in self responsibility.
He lived here in Colorado Springs for a while, I knew several people who had been friends with him. Some of the books make reference to the Springs.  
Oh, I didn't mention, Lazarus Long is the longest living man in history. [img]http://www.paganscircles.org/smf/Smileys/pagan/Wink.gif[/img][/quote]

It is strange how I, a hindu child born in India learned about Lazarus! Well you see when I was old and ripe and moved to North America and tinkering with computers and softwares while I wanted to create a silicon aid for my astrology work and none available at that time -- I ran into Lazarus! It was a software which in 80s was sold to make "dead" data on hard drives come alive!

I think it is a shame that these computer/software geniuses are thought of as well cold and geeky and nerdy and all that! WRONG! They are very creative and educative!

I would never have learned about Lazarus unless I met the software that had the same name thanks to the creative imagination of its creator -- and am the better for knowing that! Even if I never had reasons to use that Commodore 64 software that was touted as the final machine and final software platform back in early 80s! HAHA!! No one probably remembers Jack Tramiel today, but everyone has heard of Bill Gates!!
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

ash1234

Post by ash1234 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:26 am

My favorite book is the Mahabharata, English translation by Kamala Subramaniam. This is the short version of the epic, which incidentally is the longest literary work in existence. For those who are interested in the unabridged version you can go for the Mahabharata by Kisari Mohan Ganguli or by J. A. B. van Buitenen (I’m not sure if this is the complete version, as the author passed away while he was still compiling the epic).In any case the shorter version by Subramanian is brilliant and will keep you captivated.
God with us

Nyteshadecreed

Post by Nyteshadecreed » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:36 am

My favorite book is the second in a series by George RR Martin, it is called 'A Clash of Kings' and follows the first book 'A Game of Thrones' If ya like Sci Fi, it is a must read, the series has it all, and the way the book it set up is neat, cuz each chapter is a new character's point of view, so ya see some things twice but with different eyes and experiences... it really makes ya look at someone else's side of something.. Anyways that is my contribution.

Nyte
Nyte

Wondering in the darkness, but never alone...

ewk1010

Post by ewk1010 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:40 pm

This is actualy a series of books, but I believe them to be some of the greatest ever.

The Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin
-A Game of Thrones
-A Clash of Kings
-A Storm of Swords
-A Feast of Crows

And more to come still in the works.

Callie

Post by Callie » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:34 pm

A couple of my favorite writes are fairly new ones. Yasmine Galenorn wrote the Sisters of the Moon series, and  Marie Brennan wrote the Warrior and the Witch series. Yasmine , has also two other series out, and she has also written other books on Magic, the Elements and a few others. Brennan is due to release her next novel this summer. Hope I gave someone a new book idea. I have several. Thanks
When footsteps come within the night, and you're beset by doubt and fright, hold tight within that darkest hour, for to the Witch her fear is power
~David Norris~

blacksnake

Post by blacksnake » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:31 am

have you heard about a book names AQ?

Return to “Book Review And Discussion”