What is your Favourite Book Ever?

Have you recently read a good book which you would recommend to others? Have you come across a book which put you to sleep? Discuss and review the book here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

suzisco

What is your Favourite Book Ever?

Post by suzisco » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:02 pm

Its good to read but we all have books that we re-read time and time again even though we know them off by heart.  Tell us about your fave books so we can read them too.

My favourite all time books to read is:

INCARNATIONS OF IMMORTALITY by Piers Anthony

Its the same story told from 7 different points of view.  Its fantastically well written and well worth the read.  Its the equivalent of a sausage hotpot,  comforting and satisfying. Lol!
[/b]
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

flight _of_angelwings

Post by flight _of_angelwings » Sun May 06, 2007 5:52 am

Mine would be Clan of The Cave Bear.  The Earth children series by Jean M Auel.  I actually like all her books, just a shame there wont be anymore now.....

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Sun May 06, 2007 11:31 am

Oh i have read 1 or 2 of her books, they are very good.

Suzi
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

Beaujolais

Odysseus my omnipresent hero alive in faraway dreams!

Post by Beaujolais » Mon May 07, 2007 6:00 am

I just love the classic book by Homer, "The Odyssey".  It's a Greek mythological masterpiece that never dates.  I've read it numerous times and I could read it all over again.  Love all sorts of mythology (celtic, greek, japanese etc.....)

"Incarnations of Immortality" sounds interesting.  I will look out for that one.  Thanks Suzi for the recommendation.
The mystical is always questioned, tantalising us with imagination, and never gives us a direct answer.  It's philosophical path only opens a door of mirrors and reflects the light within us.

mysticcrystal

Post by mysticcrystal » Fri May 11, 2007 2:00 am

I have two favorite books that I reread: Wuthering Heights and What Dreams May Come. Both are metaphysically based novels. I haven't read it yet, but I heard Accidentally Engaged is a good novel about a tarot reader.

flight _of_angelwings

Post by flight _of_angelwings » Fri May 11, 2007 9:52 am

Oh is the book what dreams may come the inspiration of the movie with the same name.  It stars Robin williams and is about a couple who lose their children in a car accident and the mother and then wife commits suicide after her husband the father dies also?  I really liked the movie and would love to read the book of it if its based on the same thing.

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Fri May 11, 2007 9:55 am

Sounds a cheery novel! lol

flight _of_angelwings

Post by flight _of_angelwings » Fri May 11, 2007 9:59 am

Oh yeh sorry....I really did pick the complete worst bits of the novel...lol.....that all happens in the first opening really and the rest of the movie is based on how the husband tries to bring his wife back from hell and into his heaven and how it looks at life after death etc.  it really is very interesting other than that...honest....haha

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Fri May 11, 2007 9:59 am

Zen Flesh Zen Bones by Paul Reps, only thin but I read a different story every day, lost count how many times I've been through it.
Other than that, anything by Terry Pratchet.

mysticcrystal

Post by mysticcrystal » Fri May 11, 2007 10:07 am

flash of angelwings, yes,it is the same as the movie, but I think the book is far better, even though I really liked the movie. What Dreams may come is a great book , I think you'd really enjoy it! I think the author's last name is Matheson, not sure about the spellling, but I think that's right.

flight _of_angelwings

Post by flight _of_angelwings » Fri May 11, 2007 10:18 am

Oh great I will start looking for it on ebay and such.  Thanks I cant wait to read it.  Books are always better than the movies

EarlofLeicester

Re: Odysseus my omnipresent hero alive in faraway dreams!

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun May 13, 2007 9:39 am

Beaujolais wrote:I just love the classic book by Homer, "The Odyssey".  It's a Greek mythological masterpiece that never dates.  I've read it numerous times and I could read it all over again.  Love all sorts of mythology (celtic, greek, japanese etc.....)
I've read The Odyssey 4 times which puts it at the highest level (for me) for books that I have re-read.  That, and its counterpart The Iliad (3 times), have Homer being re-read by me quite a few times.
The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom while he sits by his hearth at home.
Quickly finds when questioned by others that he knows nothing at all.
- The Havamal, verse 26

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun May 13, 2007 10:12 am

This is almost as bad as asking me to pick a favorite (sorry, US spelling...) child.  One favorite book.  Now there's a challenge.  I suppose I can narrow it down by category:

Religious - The Poetic Edda: Collection of poems (some epic) concerning the Norse Pantheon and some of the heroes (and villains) of the people (circa 450 AD (or CE, if you prefer)).  Includes The Havamal, the best distillation of Norse belief, as told by Odin.

Norse - The Saga of the Volsungs: The tale of Sigurd, the greatest of the Norse (human) heroes, and dragonslayer.  The 5th century Sigurd is reputed to have lived around the same time as the legendary Arthur of Britain.  Volsungs was retold in Central Europe as The Nibelungenlied, which served as Tolkien's primary inspiration for the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Wagner's Ring Cycle opera, where Sigurd was renamed Siegfried).

Celt - Some may bristle, but Celt means more than just Irish, so clearly History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth.  (The book ends with the last Celtic kings of Britain, prior to Saxon rule). Although historians call this book into question, it's the tale of the settling of Britain from the aftermath of the Trojan War (a Trojan emigrant named Brutus gives us the eponymous name of Britain) to the reign of Arthur.  I have always preferred this story (no Camelot, for example) to the more popular tales of the Arthurian cycle.

Greek - The Iliad by Homer.  The epic tale of the Trojan War, as fought by mortal and Greek gods (and goddesses).  Narrowly beats The Odyssey.

History - 1066: The Year of the Conquest by David Howarth.  A year that ended both the Viking age and Anglo-Saxon rule in England, a book that reported the history from the loser's point of view, which I found a better take on the story, because I recall my 8th grade history teacher telling me that the invasion was not so bad for the English, who saw much of their way of life still preserved.  The summaries in school texts are so inaccurate (by way of summarization) that they become actual fictions, or worse, lies.  Maybe things remained well for the aristocracy, but the Norman Invasion devastated the way of life for the Saxon Englishman (and woman).  Mr. Howarth, who can trace his lineage back to that year, should certainly know.
The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom while he sits by his hearth at home.
Quickly finds when questioned by others that he knows nothing at all.
- The Havamal, verse 26

Beaujolais

Winks at EarlofLeicester

Post by Beaujolais » Mon May 21, 2007 10:57 am

Thanks for all those recommendations EarlofLeicester, anything similar or written in the era of King Arthur is surely a good sign that it's worth reading!  The myth of King Arthur and The Mists of Avalon are rich in verse, with an aura of mystery and magick!

Have to get that poetry book you like, it sounds like a gem.  And "Lord of the Rings" is such great storytelling!

Got good taste there!
The mystical is always questioned, tantalising us with imagination, and never gives us a direct answer.  It's philosophical path only opens a door of mirrors and reflects the light within us.

Magewyntyr

Post by Magewyntyr » Mon May 21, 2007 4:33 pm

:smt007  :smt007 I love books!!

There are too many to just pick one. Here are some of my top recommendations though.

The Witches of Eileanan (there are six in this series) by Kate Forsyth
anything by Piers Anthony (love the Apprentice Adept series)
Spirit Song by Mary Summer Rain (there's a lot more of her work I need to get)
Harry Potter (of course)
Everyday Magic by Dorthy Morrison
Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (I'm trying to get my hands on these)
anything by Scott Cunningham

I've also found the Element Encyclopedia series quite full of information if you need to do magical research and whatnot.

These are just a few that I enjoy...my collection is too vast to really go through here.
:)

Have a blessed day and enjoy your pages!
Wyntyr

Return to “Book Review And Discussion”