A book everyone should read?

Have you recently read a good book which you would recommend to others? Have you come across a book which put you to sleep? Discuss and review the book here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

almqvist

Post by almqvist » Tue May 22, 2007 8:22 am

"Veronika decides to die" by Paulo Coelho.

This book is my favourite book, and I reccomend it to anyone who feels like they need a little push along in enjoying life,and spending each day as if it were your last. They say, everyday, you should do something new and different, even if it is as small as walking a different path to work. It helps immensley,keeps things away from becoming a tradition.

Anway, the book is about a girl who decides she has had enough, and decides to overdose on sleeping pills, don't worry, i'm not ruining it at all as this is covered quite early, but she gets admitted to a psych ward and you go through her final days of her life. very powerful. and a brilliant read right through, ending will change your life.

chanceygirl

Post by chanceygirl » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:28 pm

I haven't checked all the posts on this thread, so forgive me if someone previously wrote this, but Kathy Freston has some very good books out. She writes on how to find your soulmate and uses many spiritual techniques that I recently began practicing even before I ever heard of her. She doesn't describe what a soulmate is, more like how to handle your soulmates & relationships. It's interesting for anyone (like me) who uses spirituality (and not religion) and that "sixth sense" type of thing to understand each other. So, I highly recommend at least flipping through her books. You'll get a lot of wisdom from them.

stan-wells

books to read

Post by stan-wells » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:58 pm

Bible - old and new testaments, Koran, Kabbalah, Book of Morman, any books on Buddism, Hinduism, etc - these are starters regardless of your religious beliefs - the more we know about the religious beliefs of others the better able we are to understand their motivations. strip out the dogma from the religious texts and understand the internal meanings.

Glenn Briggs

Must read books

Post by Glenn Briggs » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:20 am

It's always a subjective issue and of our own opinion of course, which books to recommend to anyone else.

I have recently been captivated by the work of Karen Armstrong, for anyone who has not heard of her, Karen was a Nun for many years, then over a period of time, she lost her faith in the system or religion, rather than God.
Over many years and studies of Christianity, Islam and Judaism, she has become very well respected as an authority on all three.

Her book,  'Battle for God' was the first of her work that I read, it's a biggie!!! Karen is very adept at taking you back to the origins of many, historically accepted dogma, and letting you make up your own mind on what may have been going on at the time rather than simply accepting todays word from the sermon of a Vicar, Imam or Rabbi.

If you ever questioned and wondered where the similarities in the the Bible, Torhah and Quran came form, treat yourself to this book and open your mind to history, it's great - in my humble opinion anyway.

Glenn Briggs

More books to enlighten

Post by Glenn Briggs » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:24 am

Hi again,

I absolutely love Richard Bach's - Jonathon Livingston Seagull, as a voyage of self discovery, it's second to none.

stan-wells

books

Post by stan-wells » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:03 am

Yes, and Richard Bach's book "Illusions - Diary of a Reluctant Messiah" is excellant also.

student

Post by student » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:50 pm

Alas. I couldn't find any book which is appropriate for every person. :smt017
with Regards
Student

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:25 pm

If I had to limit it to one, I would nominate Power. Freedom and Grace by Deepak Chopra.

It is the clearest, most concise, coherant, profound and personally inspiring metaphysical book that I have read in the last forty years.

Mali

Post by Mali » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:13 pm

I don't know one book especially that I'll recommend others to read.
Well right now as I am reading Memoirs Of A Geisha and as I like it, I'll recommend it to others.
It's a book with great characters, wonderful story, full of meanings and emotions.
Birth is a miracle...and even death

Vlinder

Post by Vlinder » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:05 pm

I think everyone should read the Eric Von Danken books
I've read quite a few of Eric Von Daniken's books (I've met him also by the way), and have had some interesting discussions with people on his theories. Since reading his books I view everything taught in the church in a different light, also what's related in the bible. "Was God an austronaut" I found so fascinating, I was eager to read the follow-ups.
When we change the way we look at things the things we look at change.

Lila

Books

Post by Lila » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:44 pm

I think Von Danekin's books are a great introduction to alternative realities and I loved them as a young person struggling to find a new worldview, Zeccheriah Sitchin's books (eg. 12th planet) are great too.

"When God was a Women" by Merlin Stone is a wonderful introduction to Feminist Thealogy and another great mind opener.

For Pure Mind-Blowing I have to reccomend Robert Anton Wilson " The Illuminatus Trilogy

I've tried several times to read the Urantia Book and may one day complete it.

Any book that makes you think is worth its weight in gold and I love leaving Special books on park benches so others can share and enjoy these wonderful friends.

Lila
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
                                                            -Nietzsche

kumar69

Post by kumar69 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:41 pm

try this
The Monk Who Sold his Ferrari by Robin S Sharma

it is jus great

regards

blacksnake

Post by blacksnake » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:42 am

it's hard to say but sherlochome maybe the one

Rising_Sun

Post by Rising_Sun » Tue May 13, 2008 9:15 am

I recommend any book by seth speaks to anyone intereseted in understanding the law of attraction and the universal principles
life is real when you are dreaming, life is a dream when you are realing

floraw

Post by floraw » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:24 pm

books

(in spanish)
el método sedona desprotegido            

(in english)
jesus, the greatest psychologist ever
the nlp: science of success

(in portuguese)
a linguagem do corpo (1 and 2)
metafísica da saúde (1, 2, 3, 4)