A book everyone should read?

Have you recently read a good book which you would recommend to others? Have you come across a book which put you to sleep? Discuss and review the book here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Sorrow

A book everyone should read?

Post by Sorrow » Fri May 11, 2007 7:02 pm

In your opinion what is the book every adult person should read, and why?

grasshopper

Books to Read

Post by grasshopper » Fri May 11, 2007 9:01 pm

I think everyone should read the Eric Von Danken books.They seem to answer our past better than a lot of the professionals.Two more books ;The Mystic Path to Cosmic Power, and my all time favorite is Illusions.
1. The Von Danken books get you to want to read more  and do more research.
2. Cosmic Power makes you think,and look at yourself .
3.Illusions is an intertaining book about a reluctant Messiah, no it's not dry , it will keepyou reading.
Today is Yesterdays Tomorrow!

Evie

Post by Evie » Fri May 11, 2007 9:34 pm

Good question, Sorrow :)

I love books, I truly do. I even hug them!  :smt003
Sometimes, they just jump off the shelf into my hands
just when I  need them.
I heard that books go to Heaven too, and I like that
thought...  a lot.

My favorite Author is Ruth Montgomery.
She was ahead of her time with her Automatic writings.  
I picked up "A Search for the Truth" in my teen years,
because that is really what I was doing... *searching.
Searching for something to believe in. I was hooked.

"The World Before" was fascinating history, and the
"World Beyond" I couldn't put down. "Strangers among us"
seems to getting more recognition now. There are others.
I look for her books in second hand book stores, and buy them all.
So I can share.  Although there are other great writers since...
somehow I always find my way back to her books...  
I love Ruth Montgomery. Can ya tell?

P E A C E
Evie        :smt109

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Sat May 12, 2007 11:10 am

Some people would argue the bible as the most important book you should read...

For lots of dfferent reasons.

What do others think?
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sat May 12, 2007 11:59 am

If one is a Christian, then I suspect the Bible is the most important book.  In other religions, other books might may make more sense, such as the Koran for Muslims, etc.  Granted, not every religion may have a must read book.  Still, there is probably one book that distills the essence of the belief structure, even if it is not sanctioned as such. The beliefs of the neo-heathen faith of Asatru, based on the pre-Christian traditions of Northern Europe, are best communicated in the Poetic Edda, a compilation of short poems of the Gods and Heroes of Scandinavia.  But is there one book that transcends all belief barriers?  Hmmm, a tough one. While the Gospels of the New Testament offer a compelling code of conduct, others will some of those codes of conduct unsuitable, to be sure.  We may all be from one species, but we are richly diverse (to say the least) which makes that one book hard to find.

I suppose a book that specifically interacts across faith barriers would be best for that (stated in the last paragraph, not necessarily the topic at hand...) purpose.  For instance, a book about, say, Christians and Muslims, would potentially be important for both those groups.  Especially since there is history of the two groups not getting along.  Can we learn something from history and in the process about ourselves (collectively)?  Absolutely.  Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it (attributed to George Santayana, not my wisdom).  The Crusades of the Middle Ages offer ample opportunity to examine the interaction of Christian and Muslim.  A long sad tale of ineptitude, avarice and designs of conquest, infrequently sprinkled with heroism or compassion.  In that the Crusades are not much different from contemporary life where world leaders (and we can be critical of more than just US president Bush here, there is plenty of blame to spread around) follow their own self-serving agenda and not the needs and betterment of the people.  I only have one book on the Crusades on my bookshelf, Dungeon, Fire & Sword by John J. Robinson.  And there is an interesting passage there, to be sure, concerning the end of the Second Crusade and the surrender of Jerusalem to Saladin (Muslim ruler).  There were many Christians in Jerusalem who, naturally, wanted their freedom from the Muslims (usually the captured would be sold into slavery) and to earn that freedom, the Christian leaders would have to pay a ransom.  In this case it was huge, 30000 dinars (which emptied the official treasury of Jerusalem), which paid for about 7000 people but still thousand more were sold as slaves, and they were herded up by their Muslin overlords and...

The patriarch Heraclius (note: Of Christian Jerusalem) paid the ten dinar ransom for himself and a few servants, then left the city with a small caravan carrying a fortune in rare carpets and silver plate, riding without emotion past columns of the poor being marched into slavery.  Saladin's brother, by contrast, was so moved by the pitiful sight that he asked for the right to free a thousand Christian captives as compensation for his services in the campaign, a request that was promptly granted.  Saladin himself decided to free all of the aged, both men and women.  For any women who had been ransomed or freed, he promised to release any husband or father who was being held captive.

A powerful scene of greed and compassion.  Having been taught as a youth that the Muslims were the menace to civilized society and that the Crusaders fought to restore lawful and Christian (i.e. compassionate) order, I learn that wasn't always the case (some Crusaders were good to be sure, and some Muslims bad) and a simple history text from school rarely teaches well.  The dates of history (which we are forced to remember) teach us little, it is the people and humanity of history that makes it interesting (despite the education system's best effort to bore us to tears) and often we can be rewarded with gems like the one above that challenge preconceptions and display beautiful signs of compassion.
The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom while he sits by his hearth at home.
Quickly finds when questioned by others that he knows nothing at all.
- The Havamal, verse 26

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Sat May 12, 2007 7:44 pm

The History of Mr. Polly. It's an old book but very uplifting, you can re-make yourself.

alchemaze

Post by alchemaze » Sun May 13, 2007 8:01 am

I would reccomend the Timothy Leary translation of Lau Tzu-Tao Te Ching.
He translated it sitting under a Bhodi tree,the same sort of tree Buddha sat under,and the resulting translation is very enlightening

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Sun May 13, 2007 12:26 pm

Please not von Daniken - that man is resposible for more mis-information than anyone apart from writer of the main religious books. Statements are either lies, exaggerations or both. Read 'Future Shock' by Alvin Tofler, nearly everything he wrote has come or coming true and it is fact based.

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun May 13, 2007 12:48 pm

Prof. Akers wrote:resposible for more mis-information than anyone apart from writer of the main religious books.
Very strong statement about religious books.  IMHO I think you are a bit too strong with that comment.  You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but it is courtesy to preface it as such.
- The Havamal, verse 26

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Sun May 13, 2007 5:27 pm

Well the good thing is that we have all been brought together to debate and discuss these books.  I love to hear everyones opinions and this is a safe environment to do so.

I had not heard of most of these books and now i can go and look for them.

Most people have very strong view points when it comes to religion and I hope we all respect that and not fall out please.  Me personally i have very strange views on organised religion.

Suzi XXX
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

LibB

Re: Books to Read

Post by LibB » Sun May 13, 2007 6:07 pm

grasshopper wrote:I think everyone should read the Eric Von Danken books.They seem to answer our past better than a lot of the professionals.Two more books ;The Mystic Path to Cosmic Power, and my all time favorite is Illusions.
1. The Von Danken books get you to want to read more  and do more research.
2. Cosmic Power makes you think,and look at yourself .
3.Illusions is an intertaining book about a reluctant Messiah, no it's not dry , it will keepyou reading.
Hi grasshopper I was going to start a new post re Illusions. Many years ago my reiki healer at the time gave me his copy to read. I tried and couldn't get the gist of it, but I loved the book so I bought my own copy. I read it recently again and still am not getting the message loud and clear. I know for a fact other than other people who need this message that this book is about me and I am very reluctant from past lives and this life. It has hindered me a great deal. Would you like to have a discussion with me about this book as it may help to hear it from outside myself instead of getting emotionally confused.
Thanks
LibB :)
Ps I don't think Richard Bach would be to happy to hear that he has written these books for me and I still haven't read Jonathon Livingston Seagull. I do have the music album however and have only had it for about 6-10 years with no record player (I have one now)

Erinrose

Post by Erinrose » Sun May 13, 2007 7:34 pm

I would like to recommend that all new seekers read everything by Richard Bach.  

Jonathan Livingston Seagull (1970)
A Gift of Wings (1975)
Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah (1977)
The Bridge Across Forever (1977)
There's No Such Place As Far Away (1978)
One (1988)
Running from Safety: An Adventure of the Spirit (1994)

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/richard-bach/

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun May 13, 2007 11:40 pm

I will copy and paste a comment from new member rts221 (or something like that):

hello. i am rachael the sensible and i am reading lots of books. every day i read some of the Bible and normally aloud. just finished the Gnostic Gospels and absolutely MESMERIZED by The Bible Code.

Debate is fine, but not everyone shares the good Prof's opinion with such strength.  While I'm not a mod, I think it would be prudent to not be to strong in condemnations so we don't offend too much.  Opinions are important, of course, and naturally they are encourages.  Just not so disrespectful IMHO.  Better to praise what you like than to say EVonD or Organized Religion is misinformation.  On the Prof's side, I have heard good things about Future Shock but never got around to reading it.  It would be cool to open up a copy and see how much came to pass.  And maybe more importantly, how much still will come to pass.
- The Havamal, verse 26

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Mon May 14, 2007 4:14 pm

Your point is taken Earl and noted.

Suzi

Azamarak

A Ton of Books

Post by Azamarak » Mon May 21, 2007 7:04 pm

I was raised in a family that judged it's Library by weight. A simple ton, mean't you were beginning.

If I have to reduce what I have read in a lifetime...That I demand to share with others? Peeling blossums, down to leaves and sticks to stems? (again think of what you are demanding when asking for one single favoite book).

I would have to say, that I want everyone on the planet to read the book "When Heaven and Earth Changed Places". Written by Le Ly Hayslip with Jay Wurts as her interpertator. I know Jay, and appreciate his struggle through this book.

Read the book, complain about my opinion at a later date.

Return to “Book Review And Discussion”