The Golden Bough

Have you recently read a good book which you would recommend to others? Have you come across a book which put you to sleep? Discuss and review the book here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

wizard56

The Golden Bough

Post by wizard56 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:05 pm

I am a small publisher and decided to republish the golden bough. As you know the book created a stir when originally published.
here is a quote from my own edition and the coming unabridged version.

The book is quite verbose and I loath two volume books albeit I have one published....
"Ever since I have seen the DVD, the Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell I was hooked on the subject of Myths and Comparitive religion.
While Joseph Campbell observed mythology as a spiritual quest of the Hero, as his journey took the full circle, Sir Frazer has seen it as mythology representing an integral part of nature and the cyclical evolution of mankind.

The full, unabridged version of the work has been impossible to fit into this format. One of my printers has page limitations and book size limits that is too dull to get into here. It is suffice to say that I am publishing a hard cover version  of this book where I intend to return some of the material cut for political and religious reasons.

Subjects were cut from the original mostly pertain to carnalizing god and this is precisely why Christianity felt the challenge and threat.

“The book scandalized the British public upon its first publication, because it included theChristian story of Jesus in its comparative study, thus inviting an agnostic reading of the-Lamb of God as a relic of a pagan religion. Frazer removed his analysis of the Crucifixion to a speculative appendix for the third edition, and it was entirely missing from the single-volume abridged edition. The retreat from his initial insights, which were never revisited, disappointed many scholars, believing that some of the topics deserved further analysis.”

While the complete unabridged book is available in print, I wish to maintain the integrity and completeness of this book in the abridged format by offerring some of the missing material to who seek it.

Return to “Book Review And Discussion”