Atlantis

Discuss age old myths here. Are they facts or are they fiction?

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Atlantis

Fact
94%
Fiction
6%

Total votes: 48

Mystic Riffs

Your Timeline, mate

Post by Mystic Riffs » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:18 am

Austin wrote:A good thing for anyone to research if one has the time is whether the Atlantic was called the Atlantic at the time, and how far back before Plato wrote about it was it first used or named. Point being; i doubt the Atlantic Ocean was named after, in honor of a "mythical" island from a "fairy-tale" story.
The Sea of Atlas was named first, in The Histories of Herodotus.
The man who named Island of Atlas wasn't born for another 25 years, probably (there's a little ambiguity, just to make our lives interesting).

The first part of its name refers to the Atlas of Greek mythology, making the Atlantic the "Sea of Atlas". The oldest known mention of this name is contained in The Histories of Herodotus around 450 BC.
 Before Europeans discovered other oceans, the term "ocean" was synonymous with the waters beyond Western Europe that we now know as the Atlantic, and which the Greeks had believed to be the gigantic river, Oceanus, encircling the world.

Atlantis (Greek: Ἀτλαντὶς νῆσος, "Island of Atlas") is the name of a legendary island first mentioned in Plato's dialogues Timaeus and Critias.

In Plato's account, Atlantis, lying "beyond the pillars of Heracles", was a naval power that conquered many parts of Western Europe and Africa, over 9,000 years before Plato's own time — approximately 9400 BC. After a failed attempt to invade Athens, Atlantis sank into the ocean "in a single day and night of misfortune".

Some scholars argue Plato drew upon memories of past events such as the Thera eruption or the Trojan War, while others insist that he took inspiration of contemporary events like the destruction of Helike in 373 BC or the failed Athenian invasion of Sicily in 415–413 BC.

That was all courtesy of Wiki.

So, the first reference to the Sea of Atlas was in 450BC, and the reference of Island of Atlas would have been 373 BC, 415-413 BC, or 9,400 BC. I hope that has cleared things up for you! :)

Raveness

Post by Raveness » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:23 pm

http://www.world-mysteries.com/mpl_10.htm

there's no doubt in my mind, a past life reading i had suggested i lived there, i have always felt connected to Atlantis.

Raveness

Post by Raveness » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:24 pm

i suggest look at the link i posted, there's so much evidence of Atlantis that many have never even heard of.

chrestos

Post by chrestos » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:23 pm

I do believe Atlantis is real, I can't explain why I believe this just a strong feeling that it does exist.

Nancy

zeamone

Post by zeamone » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:49 am

Lots of civilizations already perished that they haven't left any clue to us in the modern age. This Atlantis might be a fact as it was mentioned on some records.
Did I miss something?

Draco32

Re: Atlantis

Post by Draco32 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:19 am

Kalopsychos wrote:Many today think that the story of Atlantis is linked to the Destructive eruption of a volcano between Crete and Thera( Santorini). in the south Aegean sea: There is evidence that such a massive eruption took place, possibly larger than Krakatoa in the 1800s.  --The eruption is often cited as a cause of the sudden collapse of the Minoan culture ( Atlantis?) followed by a dark age in that part of the world. Such an enormouse eruption could have caused a massive sunami. The Nile delta and north libyan coast and even the Red sea valley and the Negev could have been inundated. In otherwords a Great Flood.
Yes, the Greek isles (specifically the island of Thera/Santorini) is the most likely location for the Atlantis myth. The civilization that existed there during the Bronze Age, the Minoan civilization, was a very advanced sea-faring civilization for its time.

The story of Atlantis was first told to an ancestor of Plato by some priests in Egypt. It is believed that the volcanic eruption in the Aegean took place sometime around 1500 BC, which was roughly 1000 years before Plato's time. Somewhere along the line of the retelling of the Atlantis destruction story, Plato's ancestor or someone else confused the Egyptian number for 1,000 with the number 10,000. Hence the subsequent belief that Atlantis existed around 10,000 years before Plato's time.

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that that volcanic eruption took place roughly around the time of Moses/Exodus and the plagues that are mentioned bible.

Rev_Vesta

Anyone read......

Post by Rev_Vesta » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:08 am

Doreen Virtue's book Angel Medicine with her trip to he Greek Islands and Santorini.....
amazing increidble and very inspirational she talks about her connection with Atlantis.....

I have had a past life regression done where I was an Atlantis Healing priestess working with Crystals, Chakras and Colours..... I was one of the many that was in the Healing Centre.........
But I past over into Spirit before Atlantis disappeared...........
So defiantely do beleive Atlantis exisited.... Before I had my regression therapy  I had not even realized of my conenction with Atlantis....... oh by the way I am now Blood Type A........Vegetarian except for Fish and Chicken......
I am going to find further info on this....
about their Blood type belief..... because my understanding is that Blood group O eat meat, red meat......... just a thought......
Found the info... quite interesting  it was thought of by a few of the different authors....... vey intersting......... Does that mean it is possible that we change Blood group in maybe differnt reincarnations.....?
Thought provoking.....
Thanx......

dawn

Post by dawn » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:49 pm

whats atlantis?
dawn

WLUSensfan

Post by WLUSensfan » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:24 pm

dawn wrote:whats atlantis?
It's a Disney movie released earlier this decade.

Again, the story of Atlantis involves one of many cities that were destroyed at some point. This was originally relayed to Plato by Sonchis, and Egyptian priest. The effects of the Thera eruption (~1628BC +/- 15y) would definitely have been noticeable in Egypt. Some say that the old testament plagues were all natural occurences which followed this eruption.

BlueFox

Atlantis cards

Post by BlueFox » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:24 pm

I have ordered once to my self report of my past lives ... the karmic thing, you know  :smt004 ... it said that I've lived On Atlantis in my past life. I was somekind of scout of new countries. So this guided my interest in this subject. I happened to pop to a www-site that have some stuff about Atlantis. One interesting thing was Atlantis-cards...here is this address for you:
http://www.dianacooper.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=27
Creativity is the shortest way to happiness!

drrnwynbchnbrgr

Post by drrnwynbchnbrgr » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:07 am

i am o negative  people have always said i was different

drrnwynbchnbrgr

Post by drrnwynbchnbrgr » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:08 am

i am o negative  people have always said i was different

Destinatus

Post by Destinatus » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:02 am

What I believe is that Atlantis is actually on a parallel plane to ours that is directly connected or there's a door to Atlantis.  But I don't think it's that apparent in this world as most people say.  I'm B + blood and I doubt that my father's blood line is through Atlantis and I've met a lot of O - whom I doubt that they do have some kind of connection.  But anywho, I just think it being on this plane is just too "easy".  Also, I think our world will follow the same sort of destiny as did Atlantis in a way... In my opinion, I just connect 2012 to it... How during that time I think that we'll evolve into a higher level of conciousness and awarness that's beyond now.  "Age of Aquarius".  The people of Atlantis kept leveling up... conciousness, everything and soon they were beyond their own habit and moved on...  

Just a theory.  But many can think a lot upon this subject.  From what I know of my past life I saw it be very ancient stones and buildings but very high-tech and more in tuned with Nature.  Like Nature was its technology and I do have some belief in the body of Atlantis in circles of land upon circles of land... (I don't know if that's the appropriate word, circle, but... )

How did the evidence arrive here? Well people who knew who to cross planes or the bridge, whatever you may call it came and brought stuff, etc.  I heard so many types of bridges like it's under the atlantic ocean.. like you go under some cavern in the ocean and you come across this flip world... stone hedge, egypt, bermuda triangle, etc.

So much to say about it.. and yes, I'm uberly fascinated by it!  Mainly of it's creatures, animals, teachings, etc.
"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” Kahlil Gibran

taabi

Post by taabi » Tue May 20, 2008 10:26 pm

I voted that it was fact.  I dont think the entire story is fact but i do believe it was based on some event in the past. :smt002

blazewolf9

Post by blazewolf9 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:23 am

im with destinatus on this i mean there strange occurences going on near the bermuda triangle i just dont belive that when 2012 comes we will move up a on another level i belive that the alantians left they left us 13 crystill skulls before they left the world we know so that they can still evolve and protect their desendents
know your future here

Return to “Myths - Fact or Fiction”