Pandora????????????

Discuss age old myths here. Are they facts or are they fiction?

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Frogg

Pandora????????????

Post by Frogg » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:25 am

What sort of mythology really lies in Pandora's Box?
Frogg

epsilonsmirror

pandora,s box

Post by epsilonsmirror » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:58 am

Pandora,s box is a greek myth about curiosity.
This myth is retold several different ways.
The greek gods played a nasty trick on the human race.
They explain the presence of evil in the world with this myth.
Other stories are similar but the greek/roman gods are the meanest of the pantheons.

Nyteshadecreed

Post by Nyteshadecreed » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:39 pm

One of the many interpretations of it is: To open a Pandora's box means to unwittingly unleash chaos on yourself and those around you.

This is where the mythology comes in... the basic lesson that is taught is to not be too curious because it is not wise to mess with the things that you do not understand. Much of this is still VERY true today... I hope this is another answer to your question.....
Nyte

Wondering in the darkness, but never alone...

zeamone

Post by zeamone » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:45 am

The story goes like a law given to eve to forbids her to eat a fruit from a forbidden tree.
Did I miss something?

scarlet raging storm

Pandora's Box

Post by scarlet raging storm » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:53 am

In Greek mythology, Pandora was the first woman on earth. Zeus ordered Hephaestus, the god of craftsmanship, to create her and he did, using water and earth. The gods endowed her with many talents; Aphrodite gave her beauty, Apollo music, Hermes persuasion, and so forth. Hence her name: Pandora, "all-gifted".

Pandora

When Prometheus stole fire from heaven, Zeus took vengeance by presenting Pandora to Epimetheus, Prometheus' brother. With her, Pandora had a jar which she was not to open under any circumstance. Impelled by her natural curiosity, Pandora opened the jar, and all evil contained escaped and spread over the earth. She hastened to close the lid, but the whole contents of the jar had escaped, except for one thing which lay at the bottom, and that was Hope.
Blessed Be

babelak

pandora

Post by babelak » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:33 am

i think that like many myths, it speaks of human nature.  adam and eve, pandora the phrase "curiosity killed the cat" etc all refer to the basic primal human urge to poke around at things we know we shouldn't or we fear/are told might be dangerous.  

this instinct frequently gets people killed or just into huge trouble, but also probably helped us evolve from apes and is behind many advances we have made as a species.  

i read once that there have been experiments performed where a large red button (or similar) marked "danger, do not press this button" was installed in a public place and a record was kept of how people reacted.  unsuprisingly, many people pressed it, just to see what would happen.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

BlueFox

Re: pandora

Post by BlueFox » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:18 am

babelak wrote:i think that like many myths, it speaks of human nature.  adam and eve, pandora the phrase "curiosity killed the cat" etc all refer to the basic primal human urge to poke around at things we know we shouldn't or we fear/are told might be dangerous.  

this instinct frequently gets people killed or just into huge trouble, but also probably helped us evolve from apes and is behind many advances we have made as a species.  

i read once that there have been experiments performed where a large red button (or similar) marked "danger, do not press this button" was installed in a public place and a record was kept of how people reacted.  unsuprisingly, many people pressed it, just to see what would happen.
I agree with you. And also, I think it is a kind of a test for resisting power of temptation. If you are able to resist, your stregth get stronger ... if you can't you are to face unknown powers.  :smt004
Creativity is the shortest way to happiness!

Forsaken Angel

Pandora

Post by Forsaken Angel » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:44 am

Pandora, she was a woman charished by the gods. The Gods gave her gifts of all sorts. She was given the box by Zeus with the warning to never open the box. Curiousity got the better of her and she opened it. All the woes and folly of the human race that are out there today were let lose upon the world. However, she was able to close the box just in time to keep the one thing that keeps most of the human race going within the confines of that little box. Hope.
Expect the unexpected and live life to the fullest.

Return to “Myths - Fact or Fiction”