do you have a favorite myth/legend?

Discuss age old myths here. Are they facts or are they fiction?

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

MacLir

Post by MacLir » Fri May 01, 2009 8:13 am

Perhaps it's funny, but my favorite stories--and they gave me lots of spiritual insights--are from Disney movies, like Snow White & The Seven Dwarves(I remember my grandma showed me this when I was small & it inspired me to searched for mystical teachings), Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty & Beauty & The Beast. Though sounds like children's night time fairy tale stories, for me there is profound teachings in those stories. I'm using the "Pardes" technique from Qaballah when interpreting them. In short, Pardes means Persha Remez Derash Sod, 4 levels. When I read a story, I always interpret it 4 levels deep. E.g the word sex; when interpreted deeper, sex means unity, then deeper: activity. Even the atoms also have sex, and what sex means for them? Just like when an atom connected to another and producing a molecule.
    In Snow White story, I learned that Snow White represents need, want. The Evil Queen represents unfulfilled need. The Prince represents ability that we need to accomplished our unfulfilled goal. So for me, this story not just an ordinary one, but a magickal teachings, because finally, The Prince saved Snow White--the dream that have died finally can be fulfilled.
    That is a glimpse of what I had learned. I hope others could found something useful from there.
Avalon

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Fri May 01, 2009 11:14 am

Wow, advanced lit. crit. - don't think you needed the mumbo jumbo though - just a good course in English Literature would serve the same purpose.
Some days you are the cart and other days the horse; either way you still get shafted.

"I thought you'd be bigger," (read it how you will).

Nanna

Post by Nanna » Mon May 18, 2009 6:05 am

I like the myth and legends of the Dragon, Dragon fighting to save the virgin princess and also how th prince has to go through all these different puzzles to get there.
Nanna Knows

MacLir

Post by MacLir » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:25 am

Continuing what I had said previously, there are some stories which the main character  has to die before brought back to life, like in Snow White or Beauty & The Beast. It symbolizes Dark Night Of The Soul when our past-self has to die before finally rebirth as the new one, and on the extreme occasion, it would involves the 'destruction' of physical body for the birth of spiritual body. You can see the equivalent on the death and resurection of Jesus Christ.
    The technique of Invocation could also be found in such stories. Taking Snow White for example, from all the sufferings that she had, her love to the prince, being 'expelled' to the forest, and finally met her true love, for me it is the same as a lesson of invocation. In my case, I would invoke a Goddess if there's a problem to be solve.
    To invoke--or using the word of Sir Aleister Crowley: "to call in"--means I have to become the Goddess. In other words: The Goddess is me & I am The Goddess, so to make the power of The Goddess to become mine. In order to do that, I have to completely remove my own self and let the goddess in--symbolizes as Snow White 'expelled' to the woods. I must use something, a ritual, or a mantra, or anything that stimulates my subconscious--The Seven Dwarves. Then finally, comes The Dark Night Of The Soul, followed immediately by The Goddess ultimately takes control over me so I see through Her eyes, think with Her mind, and act with Her power--that's when Snow White 'died', resurected and united with her love.
Avalon

Aegeus

Post by Aegeus » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:03 am

Hate to break it to you but Jesus did not die on the cross it was Simon Peter. He got married to Marry Magdalen, had kids,and most every monarch or politician has some connection to this blood line. A not so secret society hopes to one day put a descendant of this blood line on a throne as king of the world, and call it new world order. I'm sure nature has other ideas. If you don't believe me you can read "holy blood, holy grail'. Holy grail is very close to the phrase sang rail, which mean royal blood, or the bloodline descended from Jesus. And Jesus did not have a full ascension.

The physical body does not need to die for full transformation to take place, only limiting ideas of self must die.
"Permacultre is revolution disguised  as gardening"

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:55 pm

Aegeus wrote:Hate to break it to you but Jesus did not die on the cross it was Simon Peter. He got married to Marry Magdalen, had kids,and most every monarch or politician has some connection to this blood line. A not so secret society hopes to one day put a descendant of this blood line on a throne as king of the world, and call it new world order. I'm sure nature has other ideas. If you don't believe me you can read "holy blood, holy grail'. Holy grail is very close to the phrase sang rail, which mean royal blood, or the bloodline descended from Jesus. And Jesus did not have a full ascension.

The physical body does not need to die for full transformation to take place, only limiting ideas of self must die.
Hi :) Aegeus, you are running the Moslem and French scheme of things :)

I guess that you ain't Christian :)

And those of us that are studing physical immortality sort of agree with you on the physical body does not need to die :)

Full transformation "does" need to take place :) you just do not choose to leave. Otherwise it is just an extended lifespan stuff :) . Which one can do also :)

Hugs!

sunny

MacLir

Post by MacLir » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:09 am

With great respect, I welcome every thought & every fact--'cause we know there are many stories about Jesus, some even said that he came back again to earth as Apollonius Of Tyana after Ascension, that explains why there are different stories of Him in The Bible & Al Qur'an. But whether to believe it or not, let each one takes his/her own decision. Whether each story true or false, using my system of interpreting story(i.e Pardes), they would contain truth.
    Now, get back to topic. Continuing my last post, perhaps some would wonder--when reading that post--about what if e.g I as a man want to invoke a goddess; would it not make me to become The Goddess, or in other word a woman with man's body, a gay?
    Here involves the importance of consciousness. How do I percept Her? E.g. my Goddesses are Dana & Liberty. If I 'see' Dana & Liberty as "advance beings/women", then that's what would happened when I invoke one of them.
But I never perceive them like that. For me Goddess Dana is the creating system in the universe while Lady Liberty is the freedom energy(or simply: freedom). So if I want freedom from something or anything, I would invoke Lady Liberty, thus I would become freedom/liberty. And if want to materialize anything, I would invoke Dana, then I would become a creator.
Avalon

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:01 pm

MacLir wrote:With great respect, I welcome every thought & every fact--'cause we know there are many stories about Jesus, some even said that he came back again to earth as Apollonius Of Tyana after Ascension, that explains why there are different stories of Him in The Bible & Al Qur'an. But whether to believe it or not, let each one takes his/her own decision. Whether each story true or false, using my system of interpreting story(i.e Pardes), they would contain truth.
    Now, get back to topic. Continuing my last post, perhaps some would wonder--when reading that post--about what if e.g I as a man want to invoke a goddess; would it not make me to become The Goddess, or in other word a woman with man's body, a gay?
    Here involves the importance of consciousness. How do I percept Her? E.g. my Goddesses are Dana & Liberty. If I 'see' Dana & Liberty as "advance beings/women", then that's what would happened when I invoke one of them.
But I never perceive them like that. For me Goddess Dana is the creating system in the universe while Lady Liberty is the freedom energy(or simply: freedom). So if I want freedom from something or anything, I would invoke Lady Liberty, thus I would become freedom/liberty. And if want to materialize anything, I would invoke Dana, then I would become a creator.
Hi MacLir,

Your approach to things is very interesting. I do not see any flaws in your agument. And would have to agree with you.

love,

sunny

MacLir

Post by MacLir » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:52 am

Speaking of Jesus, it reminds me of some stories in The Bible that, I think, should be--not interpreted literally, but by means of Pardes(for those who doesn't know, I had posted an explanation of Pardes in the forum). Of course, I welcome any opinions opposite from mine. Though I'm now Wiccan, I was born as Christian, so, many stories from The Bible are familiar to me, even Jesus is still one of my idol till now; & the celebration that I like the most is Christmas.
    One of the stories--that confused me when I was little till my youth--is the story in The Fall Of Man(can be found in the book of Genesis). After Adam & Eve ate the forbidden fruit--the fruit in the centre of The Garden Of Eden, or using Qabalah terminology: the fruit from The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good & Evil--God cursed them. The curses are what has made humankind to be as it is, till now; like every man & woman are destined to be mortals.
    But there are two curses that had confused me. One is the curse to Adam. Beside to became mortal, he was also cursed to struggle hard in finding his food but only to have bushes & thorns as results. If this is the case, then no one of us would have ate rice, wheat, vegetables, or anything we have known. Is there something wrong in this story, or is it a false story?
    I found the answer after I used Pardes. We have to struggle hard to get anything that we want, because we nearly--even absolutely--unable to fulfill our hopes & dreams(symbolized by thorns & bushes).
    Another is the curse for Eve. She was cursed to have pain in giving birth but she would be in lust to her husband. Another confusion 'cause I found that some women are frigid. The explanation that I found is each time our heart wants something, we would be tormented until we get
what we desired. But, we would never get tired in wanting and needing.
Avalon

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:09 pm

MacLir wrote:Speaking of Jesus, it reminds me of some stories in The Bible that, I think, should be--not interpreted literally, but by means of Pardes(for those who doesn't know, I had posted an explanation of Pardes in the forum). Of course, I welcome any opinions opposite from mine. Though I'm now Wiccan, I was born as Christian, so, many stories from The Bible are familiar to me, even Jesus is still one of my idol till now; & the celebration that I like the most is Christmas.
    One of the stories--that confused me when I was little till my youth--is the story in The Fall Of Man(can be found in the book of Genesis). After Adam & Eve ate the forbidden fruit--the fruit in the centre of The Garden Of Eden, or using Qabalah terminology: the fruit from The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good & Evil--God cursed them. The curses are what has made humankind to be as it is, till now; like every man & woman are destined to be mortals.
    But there are two curses that had confused me. One is the curse to Adam. Beside to became mortal, he was also cursed to struggle hard in finding his food but only to have bushes & thorns as results. If this is the case, then no one of us would have ate rice, wheat, vegetables, or anything we have known. Is there something wrong in this story, or is it a false story?
    I found the answer after I used Pardes. We have to struggle hard to get anything that we want, because we nearly--even absolutely--unable to fulfill our hopes & dreams(symbolized by thorns & bushes).
    Another is the curse for Eve. She was cursed to have pain in giving birth but she would be in lust to her husband. Another confusion 'cause I found that some women are frigid. The explanation that I found is each time our heart wants something, we would be tormented until we get
what we desired. But, we would never get tired in wanting and needing.
Hi MacLir your posts are always interesting. Genesis 2:5,6 talks about a time when there were no plant of the fields yet sprouted because God had not caused it to rain. The earth was watered by mist or dew (when it cooled off at night dew settled and watered things).

Two things are interesting about this scripture: one, The last time that the earth was watered by "dew" was over 65 million years ago. :)

And two, There are actually two kinds of plant life in todays world. One kind is watered by dew (their leaves take in the water) and the other kind needs rain or to be irrigated to live (only their roots take in water). All farming type plants need rain or to be irrigated (plants of the field).

Genesis 8:7 and 8, Talks about God forming a man and creating a garden. This garden was water by a river (the garden was irrigated). All gardens need a gardener and Adam was the gardener for this garden that God planted east of Eden. Eve was created to help Adam with the gardening (plants of the field) and the managing the farm animals (animals of the field). and scripture seem to indicate that no childeren were born in the garden, so sex was probably unknowen to Adam and Eve durring most of their stay in the garden.

MacLir :) everything outside of the garden was wild. So there is a strong possibility that Adam when he was kicked out of the garden that he "was" actually up to his tush in "thorns and bushes". And that now that they had discovered sex that Eve was going to be birthing babies. Which she did.

the only problem with this is the ages of the "begots", they add up to six thousand years not 60 million years. So there is a possibility that the "begots" lived way longer that what the bible claims that they did :) because science does know that there was a time when the earth was watered by mist/dew.

love,

sunmystic

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:23 pm

Couple of points struck me.
1) Maclr - you say you are a wiccan - then why are you bothered about the bible.
2) Are we all agreeing that the bible is just a series of jewish myths with an overlay of christians ones? - I'd vote for that.
Some days you are the cart and other days the horse; either way you still get shafted.

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:47 pm

Prof. Akers wrote:Couple of points struck me.
1) Maclr - you say you are a wiccan - then why are you bothered about the bible.
2) Are we all agreeing that the bible is just a series of jewish myths with an overlay of christians ones? - I'd vote for that.
All myths carry some truth in them, so the question is, "What is the truth that any given myth contains?"

We are discussing myths not religion. A Wiccan can be interested in any myth. I am an ordained Christian minister and I am interested in all myths. All religions have their myths and legends and there is truth to be found in all of them, if one is a true seeker. And it matters not what the seekers preferred religion is, what matters is that one is exploring things.

love,

sunmystic

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:29 pm

I do agree we are not discussing religion but what is religion to one person is a myth to another, I re-redead the start of the thread and I think I agree with the original premise (look it up if you want).
Most ancient religions has been relegated to the realm of myth, especially those that put forward a different world view to christianity.
"What is the truth that any given myth contains?"
Well what is the truth in King Arthur - never existed, came from a story in the 12/13th C (and I live in the part of GB where it was really set).
Altlantis - came from a story by Plato - no research has ever found conclusive truth of it's existance.
I'm enjoying the thread by the way - keep it running - please.

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:08 pm

Prof. Akers wrote:I do agree we are not discussing religion but what is religion to one person is a myth to another, I re-redead the start of the thread and I think I agree with the original premise (look it up if you want).
Most ancient religions has been relegated to the realm of myth, especially those that put forward a different world view to christianity.
"What is the truth that any given myth contains?"
Well what is the truth in King Arthur - never existed, came from a story in the 12/13th C (and I live in the part of GB where it was really set).
Altlantis - came from a story by Plato - no research has ever found conclusive truth of it's existance.
I'm enjoying the thread by the way - keep it running - please.
Hi Prof. Akers, it is nice to meet you. King Arthur is a myth that is not real! Tell me this is not so :) !

To me no religious scripture is a myth. But it seems to make some folks happy to think that it is. Oh well :)

A young Islamic lady told me one time that Jesus hid in a cave and Judus was crucified in His place. To them at least part of Christian scripture is a myth that is untrue. I have not actually read the Koran so I am not sure where she got that idea. But if Islam and Christianity were ever to get along, that concept would be a deal breaker :) Oh well.

I don't really know if King Arthur was a real person in the poetry sense, but I do know enough about nuclear physics to know the his sword is scientifically possible. And that making it would be relatively low teck if one had a small lake full of heavy water with a high trititum content. Which is possible because when water evaporates heavy water is what is the last to go. Granted it would take several thousand years to create this lake. :)

Prof. I have lots of myths that are fun to play with. If you are interested I will run them by you.

love,

sunmystic

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:54 pm

Prof. Akers, here is another interesting aspect of the King Arthur legend that applies to today's world:

Arthur's sword could be pushed into stone, at least by somebody that was in good physical shape. We have in today's world bullets that will go through iron and steel, which why we now have ceramic tanks :) .

Yes we do not know what kind of stone that Arthur's sword was stuck into, but it was stuck into stone. A stone of some kind. There is a high probability that that sword would be able to poke holes in a ceramic tank and tank warfare would then become obsolete. :)

Prof. Akers :) just alittle side note about when it comes to studing myth and legend relative to exploring interesting things :) The ancients did have knowledges that were real.

love,

sunmystic

Return to “Myths - Fact or Fiction”