cows how do they know

Discuss age old myths here. Are they facts or are they fiction?

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

ollieowl

cows how do they know

Post by ollieowl » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:45 am

Cows how do they know it's going to rain
and then lie down to keep there udder warm
is it they know the old saying red sky at night shepherds delight?
Red sky in morning farmer may have cold hands.

:smt006  :smt017

rozrokz

Post by rozrokz » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:52 am

Wouldn't it be great if they replace the all cweather man with the way more accurate cows! 'cept we don't speak moo language.  :smt017

ollieowl

Post by ollieowl » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:56 am

rozrokz wrote:Wouldn't it be great if they replace the all cweather man with the way more accurate cows! 'cept we don't speak moo language.  :smt017

I wonder what type of sea weed they may use  :smt005

Gem

Post by Gem » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:54 am

To be truthful, cows lie down an awful lot of the time,  sun, rain, snow, or cloud lol, its part of their digestive process, and nothing to do with their udders lol, a lovely farmer's wives tale though lol.

rozrokz

Post by rozrokz » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:15 am

Well, this parable reminds me of the movie Babe where the pig can round up sheeps into pens. Cows are now the primary source of the food chain. Maybe changing them to be weather cow, stunt cow, plumbing cows, will help them stay off the dinner tables. LOL.

Bastard

Post by Bastard » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:13 pm

They're not on the dinner table if they're the dairy cows described here.
If you spent as much time outside with no clothes or umbrella as they do, you'd damned well know when it was going to rain too!

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:34 pm

Cows lie down to chew the cud - they have to, they have 4 stomachs, boring and prosaic I know but true.
Have you thought were the saying came from, 'cos if it's English then that's no surprise given that one of the sayings in Yorkshire (where I came from)  was,'If you can see the Pennines (a range of hills) it's going to rain, if you can't - it's raining'.
Sheep lie down also, they live outside but we never say anything about sheep.

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:57 pm

sheep are ruminants too.
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

zeamone

Post by zeamone » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:44 am

Do they really know? I have'nt notice that with them even I pasture cows during my childhood.
Did I miss something?

firejakc

6 th sense

Post by firejakc » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:05 pm

maybe they have a 6th sense telling them that it is going ot rain. :smt005
FireJakc~0~

Seeker1948

Cows/Weather

Post by Seeker1948 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:37 pm

Actually, the saying is:

Red sky at night - sailor's delight,
Red sky at morn - Sailor's take warnin'.

Cows know nothing about weather, they are simply reacting to the barometric pressure - the same as we all do, if we'd pay attention.

velvetraven

hum

Post by velvetraven » Fri May 23, 2008 10:56 pm

never heard of this before but anything is possible

DebInTx

Post by DebInTx » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:20 am

Actually, I've always heard all the animals know when it's about to rain.  I believe it has something to do with their bodies feeling the changes in the barometric pressure, the humidity, and the increase in wind before a storm.  I know I can often smell the rain before it actually falls.  Have you ever noticed how the birds huddle in a tree and stop singing just before a storm?  They know, too.  

Another interesting thing about animals and weather:  I've always had cats and am more accurate than the weather man in predicting when winter's over. The cats always shed their winter coat after the last cold front and never before.  Sometimes we have a hot spell and they still have their coats.  That always means there will still be at least one more cold spell.

Deb

NAAANEE

how cows give signal?

Post by NAAANEE » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:51 am

DebInTx wrote:Actually, I've always heard all the animals know when it's about to rain.  I believe it has something to do with their bodies feeling the changes in the barometric pressure, the humidity, and the increase in wind before a storm.  I know I can often smell the rain before it actually falls.  Have you ever noticed how the birds huddle in a tree and stop singing just before a storm?  They know, too.  

Another interesting thing about animals and weather:  I've always had cats and am more accurate than the weather man in predicting when winter's over. The cats always shed their winter coat after the last cold front and never before.  Sometimes we have a hot spell and they still have their coats.  That always means there will still be at least one more cold spell.

Deb
nice information about cats.how cows give the signal about rains?will they shout for long time or what they will do?
NAAANEE

Return to “Myths - Fact or Fiction”