Adams Bridge

Discuss age old myths here. Are they facts or are they fiction?

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

ash1234

Adams Bridge

Post by ash1234 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:51 am

In my opinion its too much of a coincidence that we have this stucture at the exact same place as described in the Ramayan...rock sample dating also validates the age of the bridge to be in the Ramayan era.
Attachments
adamsb1.jpg
adamsb1.jpg (39.38 KiB) Viewed 6186 times
God with us

mcnandor

Where is this?

Post by mcnandor » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:02 pm

I like myths, but i never heard about thisone before. What it is about?

deepdec31

Re: adams/ramas bridge not a myth

Post by deepdec31 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:49 pm

mcnandor wrote:I like myths, but i never heard about thisone before. What it is about

it is not a myth but fact. there is nothing to prove it vice versa. so if one community believe, it is a fact then why others cry. The others are having so many myths but they believe in them as facts.
True love doesnt have a happy ending.True love doesnt have an ending!

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:22 pm

deepdec31  the person (mcnandor) was asking where is this bridge? and what is the legend associated with Adams bridge? he wasn't saying it doesn't exist.  If you know about Adams bridge then you should elucidate for all of us who do not know......
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

dessa

Re: Adams Bridge

Post by dessa » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:10 pm

ash1234 wrote:In my opinion its too much of a coincidence that we have this stucture at the exact same place as described in the Ramayan...rock sample dating also validates the age of the bridge to be in the Ramayan era.
So what is this, and what is the Ramayan era that you refer to, which contintent and culture is it, I have not heard of either and would like to know more about it could you share what you know or provide enough information to being a more detailed search for information?

deepdec31

Rama's Bridge / Adam's Bridge.

Post by deepdec31 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:22 pm

dear dessa....
Adam's Bridge, also known as Rama's Bridge or Ram Setu in hindi,is a chain of limestone shoals, between the islands of Mannar, near northwestern Sri Lanka, and Rameswaram, off the southeastern coast of Tamil Nadu, India. Geological evidence indicates that this bridge is a former land connection between India and Sri Lanka
The bridge is 30 miles (48 km) long. Some of the sandbanks are dry and the sea in the area is very shallow, being only 3 ft to 30 ft (1 m to 10 m) deep in places, which hinders navigation
Government of India approved a multi-million dollar Sethusamudram Shipping Canal Project that aims to create a ship channel across. Various organizations have opposed the project based on religious, economic and environmental grounds and have sought the implementation of any other alternative alignments.

Hindu legend identifies it with the bridge built by the Vanara sena (army) of Rama , which he used to reach Sri Lanka and rescue his wife Sita from the Rakshasa king, Ravana, as stated in the Sanskrit epic Ramayana. It is called as Adam's Bridge in the west and the name probably comes from an Islamic legend, according to which Adam used the bridge to reach Adam's Peak in Sri Lanka, where he stood repentant on one foot for 1,000 years, leaving a large hollow mark resembling a footprint. Both the peak and the bridge are named after this legend.

Maps prepared by a Dutch cartographer in 1747, available at the Tanjore Saraswathi Mahal Library shows this area as Ramancoil, a colloquial form of the Tamil Raman Kovil (Rama's Temple) Another map of Mogul India prepared by J. Rennel in 1788 retrieved from the same library called this area the area of the Rama Temple [8] Many other maps in Schwartzberg's historical atlas and other sources call this area with various names like Koti, Sethubandha and Sethubandha Rameswaram along with others. Valmiki Ramayan called the bridge built by Lord Rama Setu Bandhanam in verse 2-22-76.Ramasetu and neighbouring areas like Rameswaram Dhanushkodi, Devipattinam and Thirupullani are mentioned in the context of various legends in Ramayana also.

i hope the above information is enough otherwise it can become very large.
True love doesnt have a happy ending.True love doesnt have an ending!

dessa

Post by dessa » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:02 am

Thank you Deepdec, I appreciate the sharing, I also looked up some things from what you have shared, and find the area photos to be amazing, I can well understand why enviromentalists would want to protect the area, it is natural wonder, or seems to be so to me.

I often wonder how much of our legends are based on some obscure facts, and think something like this has to be a place of wonderfully positive feeling.

Return to “Myths - Fact or Fiction”