Werewolf Sightings

Discuss age old myths here. Are they facts or are they fiction?

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

LADYSILVERMOONGODDESS32

Werewolf Sightings

Post by LADYSILVERMOONGODDESS32 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:08 pm

Werewolves: Werewolf Sightings1
Mrs. Delburt Gregg of Greggton, Texas, told of her encounter with a shapeshifting creature in the 1960 issue of Fate. The other surveyed sightings below are of creature that looked like man-wolves but no one have seen one becoming another. Mrs. Gregg have not seen a man turned into a wolf but she has actually came closer then anyone else in telling a tale that sounds like a chapter from a werewolf novel than a real life experience.

Mrs. Gregg said that one night in 1958 when her husband was on a business trip, she moved her bed close to a screen window hoping to catch some cool breeze from a thunderstorm brewing on the south western horizon. She heard a scratching sound from the window shortly after she fell asleep. In a flash of a lightning, she saw a huge, shaggy, wolf-like creature clawing at the screen and staring at her with baleful, glowing, slitted eyes. She saw its bared white fangs.

The creature fled from the yard into a clump of bushes as she leaped from her bed to grab a flash light. Mrs. Gregg said "I watched for the animal to come out of the bushes, but after a short time, instead of a great shaggy wolf running out, the figure of an extremely tall man suddenly parted the thick foliage and walked hurriedly down the road, disappearing into the darkness."

Mark Schackelman was driving east of highway 18 near Jefferson, in southeastern Wisconsin on an evening in 1936 when he saw a figure digging in an Indian mound. He saw a hair covered creature that is over six feet tall with both ape-like and dog-like features with pointed ears standing erect. Its hands have shriveled thumb and a forefinger on each and also three fully formed fingers.

Schackelman went back to the sighting the next evening hoping to see the creature again and he did. The creature was making "neo-human" sounds with a three syllable growling. Years later, his son who is a Kenosha newspaper editor, wrote that his "father's first thought was that it must be something satanic." (In southeastern Wisconsin, several decades later, equally enigmatic beast would figure in a host of reports as described below).

Between July and October 1972, a number of residents of Ohio allegedly saw a werewolf-like creature. Some people reported encountering a six to eight-foot tall creature that a witness described as "human, with an oversized, wolf-like head, and an elongated nose." Another said it "had huge, hairy feet, fangs, and it ran from side to side, like a caveman in the movies."

Four Gallup, New Mexico, youths allegedly encountered a "werewolf" along the side of a road near Whitewater one day in January 1970. One witness reported "It was about five feet seven, and I was surprised it could go so fast. At first I thought my friends were playing a joke on me, but when I found out they weren't, I was scared! We rolled up the windows real fast and lock the doors of the cars. I started driving faster, about 60, but it was hard because that highway had a lot of sharp turns. Someone finally got a gun out and shot it. I know it got hit and fell down, but there was no blood. I know it couldn't be a person because people cannot move that fast."

Skin-walker is another name for a werewolf that the Navahos of the southwest. In 1936, in Yale Publications in Anthropology, anthropologist William Morgan recounted an interview with a Navaho identified only as Hahago. Hahago said of skin-walker "They go very fast.They can go to Albuquerque in an hour and a half" - a four-hour trip by automobile, according to Morgan.

In the fall of 1973 western Pennsylvania played host to dozens of reports of strange apelike creatures, sometimes seen in association with UFOS, said to have (in one witness's words) "fire red eyes that glow in darkness." To be seven to eight feet tall, and gives off a strong unpleasant odor. "Another type of creature" investigator Stan Gordon noted, "was said to be between five and six feet tall. It was described as looking just like an extremely muscular man with a covering of thick dark hair. Again in these reports, the arms were very long and hung down past the knees. This creature appeared to have superior agility exceeding that of a deer. From footprints discovered, the stride of creatures varies between 52 and 57 inches. In these reports there was no indication of odors."

On October 31, 1991 at 8:30pm, a woman drove on Bray Road near Delavan, Wisconsin which is approximately thirty miles south-southeast of Jefferson(site of Schackelman encounter in 1936), felt her right front tire jump off the pavements if it had hit something. The woman stopped her car and looked into the misty darkness and saw a dark hairy creature with a bulked-out chest racing towards her. She went back into her car and tried to speed away when the creature leaped onto her trunk. The creature eventually fell off from the trunk because the trunk was too wet to have a firm grip. Later, the woman returned with a friend and they had a glimpsed of a big form rising from the side of the road.

Lorianne Endrizzi had a similar encounter as above in the fall of 1989. She was driving on Bray Road, a half a mile away from the above encounter, where she thought it was a person kneeling in a haunched position at the edge of the road. She slowed down and to her surprise, the figure stared at her at no more then six feet across the passenger side of the car. The figure was covered with grayish brown hair, with big fangs and pointed ears. "His face was long and had a snout, like a wolf." She told reporter Scarlett Sankay. The figure's eyes glowed in the darkness and they were a yellowish-gold color. 'The arms were really a kind of strange; jointed like a man or woman would be," she said. "He was holding his hands with his palms upward. The arms were muscular 'like a man who had worked out a little bit." The backed legs looked like they were behind him, like a person kneeling." The sighting lasted about 45 seconds and she had no idea what the creature could have been until she saw an illustration at the library of a werewolf.

Around that same time as above in Elkhorn, near Delevan, a dairy farmer named Scott Bray saw a "strange looking dog" along his pasture on Bray Road. It was bigger and taller than a German shepherd, it had pointed ears and hairy tail, with long, scraggly grayish black hair. It is "built heavy in front - a real strong chest." In the soft soil nearby he found enormous footprints which is four to five inches in diameter.

Notes
Some medically educated theorists have suggested that sightings of werewolves were of individuals afflicted with a rare genetic disease called porphyria. Porphyria suffers experience tissue distruction in the face and fingers, skin lesions, and severe photosensitivity. Their facial skin may have a brown pigmentation, and they may have personality disorders. The aversion to light, plus the physical disfigurement, may leads the victim to wonder only at night. "These features," British nuerologist L.Illis wrote in a 1964 issue of Proceedings of the Royal Society of Medicine, "fit well with the description, in older literature, of werewolves."

Queenj1737

Post by Queenj1737 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:47 pm

I wonder if any of these stories have some truth to them. I love paranormal stories that are centered around wolves. Werewolves, shadow wolves, etc...

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:42 am

Queenj1737 wrote:I wonder if any of these stories have some truth to them. I love paranormal stories that are centered around wolves. Werewolves, shadow wolves, etc...
There is usually some element of truth in most of these mythical stories, but not all truths are historical facts, and not all truths are shared by most of the rest of the population.

Myths, legends and stories frequently contain a complex mixture of fact, fiction and fantasy, and all of them to some degree have an intended teaching function or purpose behind them about each of us discovering what is is like to be fully human.

Wolf Spirit Animal

[By Elena Harris, SpiritAnimal.com Editor]

http://www.spiritanimal.info/wolf-spirit-animal/

Perhaps what most attracts you to paranormal stories involving part humans and part wolves is that you are wanting to both find and use the positive qualities best represented by this particular animal, which already exist within you.

Being part animal and part human suggests that you are needing to find a better and more workable balance between the more primitive and more civilized aspects of your own personality, or alternately you are currently and personally undergoing a transition between two very different personality styles.

Liking and reading somebody else's story can serve a similar purpose to us analysing and interpreting as best we are able, the contents of our own dreams.

Take care with those wolves of any sort,

EoT Image

Return to “Myths - Fact or Fiction”