Bad things happening after I get "too happy"

Discuss age old myths here. Are they facts or are they fiction?

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

pageofcups

Bad things happening after I get "too happy"

Post by pageofcups » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:06 pm

There's a superstition in my area that warns people not to be "too happy" or else something bad will happen afterwards... It may be true...

Mostly people warn others not to laugh so much. Like they would say, "don't laugh so hard, or [something will happen and] you'll cry."

Now I've heard of mood swings and bipolar and other mood disorders that affect your mood. And that was my initial thinking. But after years and years being around this environment I realized that:

The 'bad things' that happen are usually NOT from 'inside'. Like they're not because I put myself in a situation where I would cry (like watch a sad movie). Or if I just suddenly "felt hollow". Usually it would be something:

I watch a lot of sitcoms that are very funny. I laugh and laugh and laugh and can't stop or I spend a whole day with very funny friends. The after the "laughing binge" I find out my boyfriend is cheating on me. Or my father gets very mad at me for some reason.

And they come in extremes: the laughing will be hard laughing but then when I fall, I fall pretty hard.

What's happening here? Karma? What?

sunmystic

Re: Bad things happening after I get "too happy"

Post by sunmystic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:57 pm

pageofcups wrote:There's a superstition in my area that warns people not to be "too happy" or else something bad will happen afterwards... It may be true...

Mostly people warn others not to laugh so much. Like they would say, "don't laugh so hard, or [something will happen and] you'll cry."

Now I've heard of mood swings and bipolar and other mood disorders that affect your mood. And that was my initial thinking. But after years and years being around this environment I realized that:

The 'bad things' that happen are usually NOT from 'inside'. Like they're not because I put myself in a situation where I would cry (like watch a sad movie). Or if I just suddenly "felt hollow". Usually it would be something:

I watch a lot of sitcoms that are very funny. I laugh and laugh and laugh and can't stop or I spend a whole day with very funny friends. The after the "laughing binge" I find out my boyfriend is cheating on me. Or my father gets very mad at me for some reason.

And they come in extremes: the laughing will be hard laughing but then when I fall, I fall pretty hard.

What's happening here? Karma? What?
There does seem to be a force at work that discourages folks from being happy. It affects me in my life also. I am not sure what is going on but I am inclined to say that what you are presenting with this topic is real and that you are not the only one concerned about the why of this. :)

love,

sunmystic

scarabcameo

being too happy

Post by scarabcameo » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:50 am

People fear envy, the "evil eye".

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:09 pm

The natural law of opposites may be at work.  Life is like a pendulum where emotion is concerned, the higher you fly in joy, the lower the ebb in sorrow.
God bless, J

scarabcameo

"too happy"

Post by scarabcameo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:30 pm

It's hard to sustain a constant high, so it may be inevitable to go down and try to find a pattern to it.

PetraVanilla

Post by PetraVanilla » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:26 am

If you ask me, if you focus on something, yes, there's going to be a pattern of ups and downs. Guess what? IT's NORMAL! Laugh as much as you can, it's healthy! There will be moments that won't be as happy... they will pass!

Also, did anyone ever notice, the more you are aware of bad things, the more you see the good things, the more you are aware of shadows, the more light is present, the more loss you experience, the more gain you realize once things turn around? It's the way things are... you call that DUALITY. Every positive has a negative, every negative a positive. They can't exist without each other. One will never exclude each other. What you are experiencing are natural cycles and the duality of LIFE! ENJOY IT!!!

Hugs!
Petra
"There is no try - just do"
Learn about what I do :) http://petrasando.us

ingat

Self-fulfilling prophecy

Post by ingat » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:16 am

Or, it could be an example of self-fulfilling prophecy, where you believe the superstition to be true and then it becomes true. Try changing your mantra to: The universe wants me to be happy. I can never be punished for feeling joyful.

StormGirl Blue

Post by StormGirl Blue » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:57 pm

what a horrible negative place you seem to live in. Id up and move.
Kudos to Petras post.
Life is full of good things and sad things. Life is seasons and cycles.
Laugh often, smile always, play, its the angels way.
Cherish good times and honer them with a laugh. The happier and more content you are now the stronger you will be when you need to face lifes not so happy moments. Make hay when the sun shines, make as much laugher and happiness as you can tolerate when you can, save it for a rainy day.

Its a bit like telling your kids not to be good because the good die young!

ConfusedMind

Post by ConfusedMind » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:22 am

it happens to me also. but can you tel me how it happens and why? each time I am happy that something good has happened to me (though, they happen rarely), the next moment I find something that neutralizes the joy that I just experienced but could not relish. isn't it a pity?
I'm weird

saikikudh

Post by saikikudh » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Its the Law of attraction.

if you focus on good things good things will happen mostly.

I Heard a story a while ago about a woman who was just getting into the positivity thing.
Then she lost her job.
she asked someone whats the deal with that. 'i'm being positive and lost my job'

then she got an answer like this.
Because you were focussing on good feelings and positivity. the universe aligned things for you.

The woman didnt like her job, so the universe helped her to get rid of it. Her feelings towards
her work wasnt that well, so when she focussed in feeling good her work wasn's in her path of joy
anymore.

i dont know if i'm posting this right, but reading your post got me thinking of this story
All Is Well

Return to “Myths - Fact or Fiction”