Starwars or Startrek?

Ummmm Star Wars, X-Files, Star Trek... Parallel Worlds, Planets And Aliens...

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Star Wars or Startrek?

Starwars
36%
Startrek
36%
Neither
5%
Both
23%

Total votes: 44

zastrox

Post by zastrox » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:13 am

Erm... Stargate SG1? awesome series up until season 8. I couldn't cope with the whole Ori plot. My big qualm is that we will never get to meet a furling now... Bugger and blast!!

Sommerstars8o8

Post by Sommerstars8o8 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:17 pm

I am a Star wars fan been a fans since i was a little girl , i guess  i blame my two older brothers who are in there 30's XD

Sunstorm

Post by Sunstorm » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:31 pm

Well, reviving an old thread here but why not.

I'm a Star Wars fan through and through; only got to see them via the re-releases in 1997 but have enjoyed them ever since. Though i've got to admit that i like the books too - particularly the X-Wing series that concentrates on a group of people with varying strengths and weaknesses rather than 'Luke saves the world' style ones. Saying that though i refuse to believe the New Jedi Order books took place; to me that felt more Star Trek than Star Wars with the Yuuzhan Vong and all. Really it should be Empire Vs Rebellion...that's what Star Wars is; to have them team up to fight more aliens is a bit out of the flow. Maybe that's just me though! lol!

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:06 am

I agree that the civil war elements of Star Wars work better than the alien menace.  After you've had Death Stars and the like, who cares about the Vong?  (Okay, I have read a couple of the Vong books, but the impact isn't there, kind of what you were saying).
The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom while he sits by his hearth at home.
Quickly finds when questioned by others that he knows nothing at all.
- The Havamal, verse 26

Sei no Senshi

Post by Sei no Senshi » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:42 am

A total Star Wars fan.  Though I must admit I never really gave Star Trek a chance, so I don't know if I could like it or if I'd be turned off.

I like the original trilogy more than this new stuff.  Anakin gets on my nerves, and I think the Jedi have a few problems.  "He's going to bring balance to the Force" gotcha.  Okay.  A billion Jedi.  Two Sith.  I'm sorry, but bringing balance to the Force isn't going to help the Jedi.  I would have thought someone in the Jedi council would have thought of that one.

Anyway, I did like the kind of mystic side of Star Wars, while coupled with the militaristic and political struggle, and even the message that hope overcomes all.  You don't need machines and troops to win a war.  You just need hope, faith, and a village of Ewoks.

Also, since I'm a sucker for the Japanese, the Jedi's connection with the samurai sells me to it.  However, I do disagree with some of the Jedi's tenents.  Like the 'don't feel' thing.  I'm a very passionate person, so I don't think I could be a Jedi. :(

So, there goes that dream.

Luke:  "I don't believe it..."
Yoda:  "And that is why you fail."

Yoda's like the ocean, deep and green.  (Shh!  The ocean's green!!  In some places!  Somewhere!  I'm sure!  XD)

Sunstorm

Post by Sunstorm » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:38 am

EarlofLeicester wrote:I agree that the civil war elements of Star Wars work better than the alien menace.  After you've had Death Stars and the like, who cares about the Vong?  (Okay, I have read a couple of the Vong books, but the impact isn't there, kind of what you were saying).
The Vong just felt a bit tacky, no matter invincible they tried to make them.

Sei no Senshi ~ I like Star Wars but to be honest i don't like Jedi or Lightsabers at all!  :smt005 I prefer all the Starfighters (X-Wing, A-Wing, etc) and the capital ships. If i was in the SW universe i'd be wanting to be just another guy in a fighter than a hero do-it-all Jedi  :smt002

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:47 am

Hmmm, interesting comments.  Being Jedi Knights, I always associated the Jedi with the knighthood of medieval Europe.  And Yoda and his use of the Force?  Clearly Celtic IMHO.  Definitely see a druid in Yoda.
The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom while he sits by his hearth at home.
Quickly finds when questioned by others that he knows nothing at all.
- The Havamal, verse 26

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:44 am

whoo hoo i see startrek is still in the lead for this poll.

Live long and prosper

Sei no Senshi

Post by Sei no Senshi » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:20 pm

Ah!!  By one vote!  Just one!!!

EarlofLeicester, really?  Mideval European knights?  I never thought of that.

I always thought of the Force a metaphor for chi'i energies.

"Do not mourn for those who have become a part of the Force"

Smaug

Post by Smaug » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:28 am

Starwars througha nd through. Relates very closely to my beliefs etc.
Blessed be.

Queen Hatshepsut

Star Wars or Star Trek?

Post by Queen Hatshepsut » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:26 pm

Definitely Star Trek because it gives us hope for the future. It applies everyday problems, gives them a futuristic twist, then comes up with an everyday answer. And besides, the characters are awesome!
If no one took chances, Michaelangelo would have painted the Cistine floor!

TariElanesse

Both, of course!

Post by TariElanesse » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:47 am

I love both, although they are considerably different.  Star Wars is definately more action oriented while Star Trek is more daily life in outer space.  On the one hand, Star Wars is exciting and interesting, but the movies are short lived.  Star Trek, however,  covers several generations through its various series and grew immensely from its tiny beginning on tv.  I cannot truly contrast them in the literary world because I have never known where to start with the novels of Star Wars.  Where is the beginning?  Is this an authorized story?  How does it fit in with the movies?  I have never had that problem with Star Trek, probably because it was originally a tv show and one expects tv shows to leave a lot out because of limited time.  In short,  I could debate this topic endlessly.   :smt002

tourbi

Post by tourbi » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:25 am

ImageI enjoy both. ImageYes, Yoda I do.

Ok, ok, you're my favorite.

Imageshhhh, don't tell Yoda, I like both.

pablofelix

I like twice!!

Post by pablofelix » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:16 pm

Star wars is epical and mythic. Star treck ys more cientific and philosofal

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:48 pm

Cowboys and Indians V America still fighting against the evil British Empire, hard choice.
Some days you are the cart and other days the horse; either way you still get shafted.

"I thought you'd be bigger," (read it how you will).

Return to “Parallel Worlds and Planets and Aliens”