Starwars or Startrek?

Ummmm Star Wars, X-Files, Star Trek... Parallel Worlds, Planets And Aliens...

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Star Wars or Startrek?

Starwars
36%
Startrek
36%
Neither
5%
Both
23%

Total votes: 44

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:57 pm

Oh Cocoon was a lovely story.  

I believe that the film done by Jodie Foster about first contact tells alot about the human mind.  At the end they had her believing that she dreamt the whole Alien thing and the video she took was all static.  The government had actually switched tapes in the belief that humanity was not ready to believe that aliens existed never mind interact with them on a day to day basis.

The film was called contact by the way.

Suzi
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

Gem

Post by Gem » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:05 pm

Yep but the vulcans had it right in their version of First Contact lol

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:22 am

I suspect I will have a lot to comment about in this and subsequent posts, but hey, it's my opinion and bandwidth...
eye_of_tiger wrote:... it was based on the positive vision of the future by it's creator Gene Rodenberry.
A vision that changed to be sure.  Original Trek (the only one worth a d*mn IMHO) was a military based starfleet. Which was obvious to anyone who watched the shows (Errand of Mercy has the Enterprise leading the war charge against the Klingons) but Gene R reneges on this years later when he stated that the Starfleet of TOS was a merchant marine organization and not military.  More likely he was kowtowing to pacifistic pressure; all the literature from the 70's stated that it was military.  Rewriting future history to please the current crowd is annoying and hypocritical.

TNG was not bad, but I couldn't get over the notion of kids aboard a starship that went in harm's way.  Yes, I know, not military (cough, cough).  Just well armed civilian ships firing simultaneous spreads of photon torpedoes and phasers to stop the Borg menace.  The merchant marine doesn't fight wars...

eye_of_tiger wrote:
I do not hate or even dislike Star Wars, but rather although I did watch one or two of the original movies, I never took the time to really get to know the characters, or ever especially felt the urge to do so.
A Trekkie friend once asked me why Star Wars was so popular?  Back in 1977, he just didn't get it.  I will tell you what I told him.  It is all about the characters.  Sometimes over the top, but well written dialogue and situations that brought these people to life.  You can't like Star Wars w/o liking the characters...
The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom while he sits by his hearth at home.
Quickly finds when questioned by others that he knows nothing at all.
- The Havamal, verse 26

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:24 am

suzisco wrote:Well I have to agree, i am a devoted trecker altho i don't like the new enterprise series.
Ahhh, Suzi.  And here I was thinking you were close to perfect, lol.  TOS was incredible, TNG and DS9 had their moments, everything after that... zzzzzzzz.  Yes, just IMHO, but having watched scifi for 41 of my 47 years, I am pretty opinionated about it.
- The Havamal, verse 26

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:27 am

Prof. Akers wrote:'Feel the force Luke', Spocky never came up with that. 'It might be life Jim, but not as we know it', does not compare with Obi Wan Kinobi.
I must admit to still having a thing about young ladies in very short skirts and boots but that's my cross and I bear it with fortitude.
Star Wars is very, very quotable, especially the original trilogy.  As a parent, I quote Yoda frequently (like Do or do not, there is no try and Always with you, it cannot be done).  I always thought that there was more than a little druidry in Yoda...  and yes, Obi-Wan rocks, too!
- The Havamal, verse 26

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:29 am

Thor's Hammer wrote:I love both and watch both as much as possible.
it was disappointing to see that the new enterprise was pulled,.. jolene blalock was sooooooooooo hot!! (t'pol)
i've been watching re-runs of voyager on spike tv and i play the star trek ccg with some friends.
as for star wars,the movies are great,there's a rumor of a tv series sponsored by lucas but until then i guess i'll still play my ps2 star wars battlefront  II online.
i'm in clan {bob} darthomax if any one ever plays...............great poll by the way!!!

And the star trek series makes one think too about alot of real life issues i do agree.would be wonderful to have a team oriented society who strived for the greater good rather than who could be wealthy........
Star Wars CCG was pretty good, too.  I liked the Trek CCG until Q's Tent came aong; after that the rules just felt too muddy.  I enjoy the Star Wars Starship Battles minis game.  My Falcon and X-Wings always take down the big, bad star destroyers, heh heh.
- The Havamal, verse 26

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:32 am

m00nshadow wrote:I would have been a trekkie, but there have been to many episodes and too many Enterprises.

I like Star Wars.  I have always liked DarthVadar.

The line that he says, "Luke  I am your father come to the Dark side always cracks me up".

Because my next door neighbors son when to another neighbors house once. He saw their teenage son's althletic cup on the shelf in the livingroom, he picked it up, put it on his face and said "Luke I am your father, come to the dark side." The kid hasnt lived it down yet, and that happend about 6 or 7 years ago.. LMAO
Maybe you're too young to appreciate it, but back in 1980, when watching The Empire Strikes Back, that was a HUGE movie revelation.  Came out of nowhere and was talked about for a while (at least in Nerd City).  Trek has done nothing, and I mean nothing, that can touch that.  And never will.
- The Havamal, verse 26

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:35 am

Gem wrote:You cannot beat Ryker on a good day, or the soothing tones of Picard making it so, now if only we could have Ryker dubbed with Picard's voice......... lol

Star Wars is brilliant too, but I never know why they are compared to Star Trek really, they are so different, Star Trek is all about humans and mankind and a possible future reality, Star Wars is total fiction and a make-believe world.

That said gimme a young Obi-wan and you can keep Ryker and Picard lolol
Matter of opinion, IMHO.  Possible reality?  I suppose.  Given that some governments resort to violence and that there is always war, I can't dismiss that someday some group does take over and does enforce their will with stormtroopers and the like.  I would prefer a peaceful UFP but wishing for it doesn't make it anymore believable. Having said that, I guess I'll take a Senator Amidala and you can have a young Obi-Wan...
- The Havamal, verse 26

EarlofLeicester

Re: Starwars!

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:37 am

Evie wrote:Absolutely Starwars.

I love love love it...
I think there are many cosmic messages and truths within.  
It's presentation is brilliant.   I feel this work of art was channelled.  
The last part of the series...  is actually beginning of the story...
It taught me many things... especially to look for the big picture
Nothing is as it seems ....  Karma rules

Everytime I watch it I find something new and profound.  

Evie
Well said.  And may the Force be with you.
- The Havamal, verse 26

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:39 am

suzisco wrote:Oh Cocoon was a lovely story.  

I believe that the film done by Jodie Foster about first contact tells alot about the human mind.  At the end they had her believing that she dreamt the whole Alien thing and the video she took was all static.  The government had actually switched tapes in the belief that humanity was not ready to believe that aliens existed never mind interact with them on a day to day basis.

The film was called contact by the way.

Suzi
Excellent performance by Ms. Foster (my ex threw away my copy of the movie, grumble, grumble) and excellent book by Carl Sagan.
- The Havamal, verse 26

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:41 am

Gem wrote:Yep but the vulcans had it right in their version of First Contact lol
OMG, TNG movies.  I liked Generations a lot, and the 3rd one wasn't bad (I forget the name of it).  First Contact was --- for me --- a painful experience.  But did the Vulcans have it right? I guess they did.
- The Havamal, verse 26

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:50 am

The best IMHO fan-edited Star Trek vs Star Wars video ever on You Tube (click the image):

- The Havamal, verse 26

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:03 am

So Startrek is still winning by a significant margin, I know there are lots of Star Wars fans out there still lurking, so come one lets hear it from you guys and come and vote!!!

as sad as i am i loved the startrek one with the whales, it was cheesy but what a story line, and when checkov said nuclear vessels that cracked me up!

Suzi
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:14 am

Ahh, The Voyage Home.  Clearly a warm and fuzzy feeling where that movie is concerned.  Generally I don't enjoy it when the future scifi stories just happen to pop into our time but ST4 was so darned funny, I couldn't help myself.  Catherine Hicks's portrayal of the 80's Californian marinebiologist was right on the money, too.

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:27 am

That is a brilliant laugh, Ryker is luffly with his reactions.

And Voyage Home one of the best films too :)

Return to “Parallel Worlds and Planets and Aliens”