The state of the fantasy movie

Ummmm Star Wars, X-Files, Star Trek... Parallel Worlds, Planets And Aliens...

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Are the current fantasy movies catering to too young an audience?

Yes, where is The Hobbit?
60%
No, more Harry Potter, please!
40%

Total votes: 10

EarlofLeicester

The state of the fantasy movie

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun May 27, 2007 3:07 am

In my mind there is something wrong with Hollywood's latest crop of fantasy movies.  All of the movies are centered around younger (school age) children (and more importantly) with younger storylines.  It seems too long since the Lord of the Rings trilogy was in theatres.  We have these days movies like Narnia, Terabithia, The Golden Compass and, of course, Harry Potter, the reason why that teen fantasy is the de facto standard.  I would just like a new fantasy movie to not be written for the average 10 year old and potentially cater to someone who has a valid driver's license.
The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom while he sits by his hearth at home.
Quickly finds when questioned by others that he knows nothing at all.
- The Havamal, verse 26

zastrox

Post by zastrox » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:39 am

I never knew the golden compass was put into film. I thoroughly enjoyed that particular trilogy by phillip pullman. heck I am even waiting for the last harry potter to come out.
I am with you as far as holywood only catering to the prepubescent where fantasy is concerned. That is where all the money is after all. You can get loads of moolah out of people because the children need to be accompanied by an adult. The sales of candy rockets exponentially too causing more of your dosh to leave your pocket. I suppose they need to make a buck somewhere huh. All that Internet piracy must be killing them.

Just stick with the classics and let holywood eat itself.

John C.M

Post by John C.M » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:57 pm

I may be young, but I have read many of the classics; The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Chronicles of Narnia etc., and I loved them to bits. I feel that that type of genius fantasy writing has diminished but a diffrent technique and style of fantasy writing has been born. I love all books; Harry Potter, Dan Brown's Novels, J.R.R Tolkiens many fantastic books and countless others, and I hope many more writers of this profession will began to grow in the near future.

I also watched many other classics and I think the movie business has become too comercial and it lacks the passion that so many classics had, and too few still have today.

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:33 pm

We do need more adult fantasy movies Earl, the sad thing is they won't make them because we don't bring enough income in,as with most things profit is all.

rozrokz

Post by rozrokz » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:52 am

I think they just run out of ideas. Need to come up with more ideas for video games which earn alot more. Marketeers. Sheesh....

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:59 am

hmmI think that there has been a swing away from intelligent fantasy.  I do think that the current trend is a phase however i have to say that i do enjoy Harry potter its light and frothy and a no brainer (i do think adults forget its written for children and get too critical of it) I did enjoy the pullman trilogy but again its a book written for children (forgotten fact by many adults).

Beowulf is out at the pictures here, its an adult fantasy movie.  So i think adults are catered for when they chose to look.

Suzi
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

Utopian47

Audiences

Post by Utopian47 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:35 pm

I think since Harry Potter did so well for the movie companies; they are looking at other stories that are similar. Every time a story exceeds expectations in profit; they create more like it either through sequels or stories that fit in a general genre. I love the Harry Potter books but the movies especially the 4th and 5th ones changed too many things which is why I'm reluctant to see any other movies made from fantasy stories I enjoy. The new genre of movies does seem to center around adolescents but I'm sure they will eventually run through ideas or a shift in the market's interest in such stories will change and they'll be off with some other genre.

spearss91

Post by spearss91 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:23 pm

Fantasy becoming the trend in these days like Narnia, Terabithia, The Golden Compass and Harry Potter even today i noticed the fantasy is also included in the "Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance"...

Evard

Post by Evard » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:03 am

Hey H0 ~ I say : there was a good scripted movie on SyFy today about foreign Corporal*
making a deal on a sleep transit ship noted as infeated by some space ghoul and it 's the:
different standard thn modern childen fantasy tho I wanted to comment .,. nice script and
not bad choreo direction . the stand in actor for the corporal @space wasn 't so bad tho if
I recognised him as the same one in a Claremont , California Jack Black directed movie :
showing someone with a college town improper booze and smokin reason to kidnap a kid
and then bury him in the mountain sandusk near the loma palat .. .. I didn't thot the SyFy
movie was as bad a role for him ., tho I digress . . : and want the deal on hm . fantasy .,

OK[+] Golden Compass was on TV .terebi and wasn't so bad with a good Annie~sqe actrs
and what 's the one with the underground community not knowin about modern postApoc!
a lyp tic outside setting at using the older modern pre-raggen water wheel tech. Not Bad .

Not any other thoughts for this polite thread . Cancel my abtruse if you want. :-D :) EvARD

symulhaque

Post by symulhaque » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:33 pm

I am a die hard fan of the fantasy movie and dream to consider a world like this.

Return to “Parallel Worlds and Planets and Aliens”