Ego

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

rajshuk

Ego

Post by rajshuk » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:08 pm

Is ego a necessary evil ? Please answer.

theancient_dr

Post by theancient_dr » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:49 am

Hello ----

first off it is interesting that you begin by deeming ---ego---as necessary evil----
can agree with necessary
but evil
can not------
metphysically speaking--the ego is a portion of the spirit associating with the current incarnation and the "scractch pad memory" for "this life happenings". This life happenings to include each word---each thought---each deed--- during this life period.

Thus necessary is correct...........

i send you blessings, peace and love-----pop

sunspun

Ego

Post by sunspun » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:42 am

Not evil! No... it allows us to measure  where we are in relationship to humility...Ego is very important and in letting go of it we can free ourselves...but it is in the letting go that we feel free so it is necessary.....

youngbung

Ego Evil

Post by youngbung » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:45 pm

There are two paradigms I wish to challenge  here in the use of ego=evil.

Firstly, ego as a separate entity of oneself, that should be diminished or eliminated. Ego, is necessary part of oneself. It gives us identity and consciousness of being separate. The goal is not elimination of the ego, but a balance of ego, superego, consciousness,  and unconsciousness.

Secondly, evil as entity does not really exist. Evil is a judgment which has a context. One may do good and yet be interpreted by another as evil. The word 'evil' has been flouted and abused by politicians and religious leaders for ages to dehumanize opponents for self gain. That is not to say, that there is no a shared experience of what we call 'evil'. But, 'evil' is not a thing, that you can touch or hold, rather an interpretation and judgment. Beware then, who is do the judging and who is blindly accepting this as fact!

Isida

Post by Isida » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:09 pm

Ego evil?
xmmmm i think that it depends on the personality of the person.
If the person is "bad" well i am sure his ego will be evil!
If not the persons ego will be "normal"

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:20 pm

Has there ever been a langage spoken that did not contain the personal pronoun I?

stan

Ego

Post by stan » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:23 pm

It's apparent by the responses that there are all ego driven. Who wants to go on a journey that you can never reach with ego, because in the end finality is death. Yet, it is appointed! My opinion!

Metatron

Post by Metatron » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:34 am

I say evil is what one does and NOT what one is.

Can the ego DO evil yes.

:smt117

stan

Post by stan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:52 am

or what one does is what one is! In the world of yin and yang they are inseparable twins. Black-White-fame-Shame-Gain-Loss. So, yes to your question. If we transcend than no. But we can not confuse the natural order.

Metatron

Post by Metatron » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:30 pm

All is one in the pleroma, wu wei or unus munus.

:smt096

Metatron

Post by Metatron » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:31 pm

er thats unus Mundus

stan

Post by stan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:03 pm

Metatron wrote:er thats unus Mundus

And all in between.

Nyteshadecreed

Post by Nyteshadecreed » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:15 pm

Hmmmm well this is interesting... is the ego a necessary evil?

Does that mean that the only ego there is; is evil? Have we never met someone who had a positive ego? I mean I think that is the better question here...

Personally I don't think that the ego is a necessary evil.... I think it is simply a part of all of us, that many times gets a bad rap, because people use it in the wrong way...

Like trying to use a car to give someone a lift but only letting them sit on the roof... if you use it wrong, then how can we think badly about the car? It is a lot like Pride... pride is good, but only to a certain point... there is a line that once crossed it becomes a bad thing...

But that is just my opinion....

Metatron

Post by Metatron » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:54 pm

Ego is not evil the ego is not good.

It just is!

Et Ut Est Aut Non Est
:smt030

stan

Post by stan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:14 pm

Nyteshadecreed, Our response is based mostly on our posturing and gives rise to many different views. Are all views correct? Are we all entitled to an opinion, or none at all? What ruler do we use to measure what is good, or what is Bad? Who determines that? The questions are endless for some, and some don't even bother. Let me give you my take, in the way of an illustration. Imagine for just a moment, a beautiful Princess, of vast power and wealth. A spell was cast. The spell was the spell of forgetfulness and she was magically whisked away into another land called Outer Darkness where all go who are under the spell. No longer a princess and no longer an heir to the Kings throne she lives a beggarly life of shame and humiliation and poverty. Would we consider the spell evil?
What is ego in the sense that it is being used? Ego to me simply said, is who we think we are. My position is that whatever you think of yourself, you are much, much more than that.

Return to “Philosophy”