How I came to Krishna Consciousness

Learn meditation techniques to relax and improve your own thought processes.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

erik

How I came to Krishna Consciousness

Post by erik » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:38 am

Hello there,

this is a funny and mystic story how I came to Krishna Consciousness, it all started in the mid eighties last century, between 1983 and 1987, I can't clearly remember the date, but here it is:

One day in the eigthies I was going out with some of my friends, we went to Parkzicht, a very popular discotheque which was situated in a park. We went there to get stoned, drunk and going after the girls. It was a very nice time. Okay, me and some 10 to 12 friends of mine were walking to Parkzicht and when we were passing the street just behind Dijkzicht, a hospital, now named Erasmus MC, and then I saw something moving in the distance in the air, my friends were just walking further but I stood still, I wanted to know what I just saw. And then I saw a machine in the air slowly floating into my direction, it was some 50 feet above my head and I was amazed. I recognised it as an UFO. I stood still but managed to call my friends, although they were just walking down the hill next to the road, they didn't respond to my call and walked towards the discotheque.

And then I saw the most amazing thing in my material life, I saw an UFO, it was churchbell shaped and had coloured rotating lights on the bottom of the machine. It floated above my head without making any sound and I stood paralized. I was just standing there, witnessing it all and then the UFO floated into the direction of the hospital to dissapear behind it.

The newspapers, the AD or Het Vrije Volk, mentioned it the next day or two days later, but they said it was a traffic plane, more people saw the UFO that night.

So that made me think.

A few years later, around 1993 or 1994 I didn't go out anymore and smoked a lot of weed and stayed indoors a lot, I was reading one the books of Erich von Daniken, and I came across a section of a book in where he mentioned Vimanas. This was another word for UFO's. I was very interested and I read that Vimanas were very common in Indian writings. I read that the Mahabharata was mentioning Vimanas and was very happy with it.

Then, a few years later, in the spring of 1997, I was walking towards the shopping mall, Zuidplein, I was walking the street I was living in at the time, it is called the Pleinweg, and I saw a Hare Krishna bookstore on my right side, it was situated in a house where two devotees were living, Sri Hari and Laxmi mataji. I didn't know them at the time but I entered the bookstore because I thought back to the Vimanas and India, and I wanted to know more about it.

So I entered the bookstore and had a wonderful conversation with the two devotees, they explained a lot to me and when I left the bookstore I had a Bhagavat Gita with me and the Hare Krishna maha mantra, I promised to chant this mantra.

And I did, I sat down on May 4th or 5th 1997, I sat down in the morning to chant this mantra in my bedroom, the sun was out and when I closed my eyes and silently whispered the mantra (Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare), I suddenly was
in another space. I was floating in space, but it wasn't black around me, I noticed that there was no time there and no cold and no heat, it was comfortable and I was spinning around my axes towards, well, up and there seemed no end to it. Suddenly I saw the first letter of the mantra, the letter H, in front of me, it was almost a square meter in size and had thousands of exploding lights on it. Then it disappearedd and I saw the letter A with thousands of exploding lights on it. At that time the mind took over and left me with the thought: "Where am I?" and suddenly I was back in my bedroom, sitting on the cushion.

I was so amazed that I wanted to know more about this and promised myself to go to India to find out more of this.

In the same year, 1997, or 1998, I was watching, on tv, an episode of a travel magazine called Lonely Planet, which had a coverage of North India and it
was in Rishikesh, the yoga capital of the world, it showed the Ved Niketan Ashram and then I decided to go there to follow yoga.

I left for India on October 6th 1998 and even gave up my house and passed it on to a girl I knew.
So I stayed for four months in India, came back to the Netherlands and went back in 1999, I became a yoga teacher in Februari 2000 in a community centre next not far from where I lived.

Then I saw Sri Hari again in 2004 and he said that Radhadesh would be a great place for me, Radhadesh is the Hare Krishna centre for the Benelux, it is situated in a castel in the Belgian Ardennes. I went there in July 2006 and joined the Hare Krishna community.

All because a UFO!!
Last edited by erik on Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Write down your dreams, you'll live twice !!

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Re: How I came to Krishna Consciousness

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:00 pm

"There Are Hundreds Of Paths Up The Mountain"

There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
all leading in the same direction,
so it doesn’t matter which path you take.
The only one wasting time is the one
who runs around and around the mountain,
telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.

Source: Hindu teaching

Brian :smt023

erik

Re: How I came to Krishna Consciousness

Post by erik » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:51 pm

Wonderful verse, Brian, thank you for sharing :smt002
Write down your dreams, you'll live twice !!

Return to “Meditation and Mind Improvement”