Philosophy: Where does it begin, where does it end?

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Rohiniranjan

Philosophy: Where does it begin, where does it end?

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:14 am

Dear Friends,

It is interesting that much of what we talk and discuss pretty much all over the forum involves philosophy in its very essence. Whether we are talking about the spirit or spirituality or technical subjects like astrology, or creative-intuitive topics such as other divinatory topics and disciplines (which are not always disciplined ;-)) is beyond me! All of these have a basis in some deep founding wisdom and require one, at least the modern person to have an equally matching profound desire and love to study these, the pragmatic society notwithstanding!

Now there may be those who have studied philosophy as a formal discipline itself and there are I believe many different schools of philosophy. Perhaps they can step forward and share with us the beauty of the view that they have observed and acquired.

And, the armchair philosophers need not feel shy too! We need all kinds to make it an interesting interaction.

I challenge you all to make philosophy attractive and fun!

RR

Firetracie

Beginning - no end

Post by Firetracie » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:32 pm

My knowledge tells me there is no beginning or end - except to our concious minds. I know - yeah! you may say I'm daft but I KNOW - somewhere inside, deep where I really exist - that there is NO end. We are concious of our existence because we have chosen to experience a particular awareness - once chosen, we again have a choice, to see it through to it's end or to abandon it as a failed experiment. I have come to believe that sometimes our souls choose something that is too disparate from our physical experience for us to see it through to our higher needs conclusion. I know that if I die, I will still live - I KNOW THAT! But there's still a crazy desire to make this one work! Anyone else understand?

Rohiniranjan

Re: Beginning - no end

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:32 am

Not daft but 'deft' in my view!
Yes I understand!

RR

[quote="Firetracie"]My knowledge tells me there is no beginning or end - except to our concious minds. I know - yeah! you may say I'm daft but I KNOW - somewhere inside, deep where I really exist - that there is NO end. We are concious of our existence because we have chosen to experience a particular awareness - once chosen, we again have a choice, to see it through to it's end or to abandon it as a failed experiment. I have come to believe that sometimes our souls choose something that is too disparate from our physical experience for us to see it through to our higher needs conclusion. I know that if I die, I will still live - I KNOW THAT! But there's still a crazy desire to make this one work! Anyone else understand?[/quote]

dreamweaver62

Philosophy

Post by dreamweaver62 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:15 am

What a fascinating topic this is. Philosophy means different things to each person I feel and each person has a particular life philosophy which may be broad and complex encompassing concepts and ideas forming a belief system or as simple as a statement that becomes a life motto such as 'treat others as you wish to be treated'. There is a wonderful book I read a few years ago called Sophies Choice by Jostein Gardner which I highly recommend. It tells the historical story of philosophy from a 13 year old child's point of view and starts with the main character finding a letter addressed to her which states the question "Who are you?"

mysticangel

Post by mysticangel » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:10 am

Philosophy is a very complex yet its an intricant part of our daily lives.  The subject is high debatable whether in concept or issue is right or whether it is wrong.  Philosophy is really the workings of our own minds, how we think, our perceptions, our beliefs and everything in between.

It gives us a purpose to explain the unexplainable, how or why the workings of life.  What does it truly mean, is there a God?  It provides one an explaination of the many different levels of what life does mean and how it works and is based off of our own knowledge of the any subject at hand.  We justify our actions or reactions to these set of beliefs whether they are ethical or nonethical.

We believe that the fundemental stuff of "being", what the essence of the universe is and have certain beliefs that it consists of the process rather than matter, energy or ideas.  It explains the workings of our evolution and how it all came about.  Philosophy are based on ideas and assumptions and without any scientific method to say it is right or wrong and we try to explain the unexplainable by way of deduction.  One person's perception on the workings of life would never be the same as the next person.  What makes certain things right or wrong really depends on our own knowledge of the whole complexity of it all.  

Philosophy is really in all is one's discipline with the questions of how one should live by ways of our ethics; what exists and what is essentially nature or can be constitute as the workings of metaphysics; what really counts as the general knowledge; and what one percieves as the correct reasoning on various principles.  It is really based on a method or a theory and is based solely on reasoning.  It gives us doubts on certain viewpoints.  It emphasizes on the importance of the human rationalization and their logical steps to break down every possible subject or object of one's knowledge.  It's a process that must seem be universal to be accepted as right or seen as wrong for us to take into our own lives and how we must live.  

angel

grantnieddu

The Eternal

Post by grantnieddu » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:39 pm

Firetracie,

The eternal is evident within every single one of us.
It is evidenced in Mankind's constant pursuit of the eternal.

Mankind has always sought to extend life, to achieve more, or to press one step further.
When we have achieved all we thought we wanted, there remains a desire "for more."

That desire for more, the insatiable appetite of man (often seen in a negative light), is to me a sign-post to our inherent eternal nature.

From Eternal we came and to Eternal we go.
Every faith involves some aspect or belief in an afterlife of some sort.

Yet, I ask, does the eternal aspect of our nature act as a sign-post itself to an even greater truth?

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:40 pm

Philosophy means the examination of the experiences we encounter.  It is a means of examination to find solutions to spiritual pulls to existence.

Rohiniranjan

Re: The Eternal

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:48 pm

[quote="grantnieddu"]...From Eternal we came and to Eternal we go...[/quote]

I am sorry but this statement of yours creates a big problem! It seems to imply that there is a state (between the coming from and going to...) which is separate from 'eternal'! Is there? ;-)

It is all part of ETERNAL, I think. The coming and going are the illusions!

I think that what moves is not the soul, but the point of awareness!

RR

rozrokz

Post by rozrokz » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:53 am

Hi Mr Rohini, no philosophical thoughts. Just Life and what to do about it. Peace.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:15 pm

Dear Scorpio friend,

I truly could not decipher the meaning of your reply! Please elaborate...

Thanks

RR

[quote="rozrokz"]Hi Mr Rohini, no philosophical thoughts. Just Life and what to do about it. Peace.[/quote]

rozrokz

Post by rozrokz » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:09 am

Hi RR, I have nothing constructive to add to this. Only dropped in to say Hi. ; ))

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:48 am

[quote="rozrokz"]Hi RR, I have nothing constructive to add to this. Only dropped in to say Hi. ; ))[/quote]

One cat to another <PSST!>, that is how we get this lable that CATS ALWAYS STICK TOGETHER, like a family!

MEOWWW Back at YA!!

RR

rozrokz

RR-ji

Post by rozrokz » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:22 am

This will be my 200th post and my final post for this year as I have been neglecting work and surfing this site the whole day. So I have decided to concentrate on earning more $$ (LOL) as real life beckons. But I will post back in yr 2008 which is not to far off. And who knows maybe I will get a reading done by you on crystal somthing (I've bookmarked it) for my luck next year. You, Gem, Prof, Suzi, Nicole, Mangomom just to name the few who have been the reason why I am so attached to this site.
Take care and wish you guys all the best.

Roz

Master Po

Post by Master Po » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:21 am

Philosophy is asking a question to which there is no answer.

Respectfully,
Master Po

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:58 pm

Your post had a typo!

It should have been:

Philosophy is asking a question to which there is no [u][i][b]SINGLE [/b][/i][/u]answer!

[quote="Master Po"]Philosophy is asking a question to which there is no answer.

Respectfully,
Master Po[/quote]

Return to “Philosophy”