Is Buddhism a religion or a Philosophy?

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Mordsith

Is Buddhism a religion or a Philosophy?

Post by Mordsith » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:24 am

Given that there are very few 'fundamentalist' Buddhists causing mayhem in the world, does this mean that it is not a religion?  All the others seem to be having a go!
There *really* is no God.

McHeathen

Post by McHeathen » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:50 pm

Buddhism is certainly a spiritual path very similar to Gnosticism, but not quite a religion in so far that it does not require its followers to perform any devotions to any dieties. Yes like any other belief system or spiritual path it does have its philosophy but that does not mean that Buddhism is a philosophy in itself.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:31 am

I don't believe you are saying so in as many words or explicitly but one may get a sense from reading your comments that religion is somehow superior to philosophies.

Please don't take this as a personal affront or assault and barely knowing you from Adam I have no idea about what your real and personal view is on this matter!

That caveat and disclaimer aside, I feel that in both the religious as well as philosophical circles there has been this undercurrent of relativity! I mean the sense of relative superiority! And obviously, the others.non-conformers have got to be inferior. Sometimes these dynamics play between religions (My Dad is stronger than your Dad or your Mom!) and at times it also gets expressed as, "My religion is better than your philosophy!"

But then, again, discrimination is something that is inherent in God's reality. Species shun other species and even kill and eat them, even cells within the same species do not do so well when introduced into others of the same species (blood reactions, transplant rejections). Discrimination is natural and real and until we really understand it fully, an inconvenient reality in our face!

You or others may feel that I have digressed. But, have I? Really??

RR

[quote="McHeathen"]Buddhism is certainly a spiritual path very similar to Gnosticism, but not quite a religion in so far that it does not require its followers to perform any devotions to any dieties. Yes like any other belief system or spiritual path it does have its philosophy but that does not mean that Buddhism is a philosophy in itself.[/quote]

Rohiniranjan

Re: Is Buddhism a religion or a Philosophy?

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:47 am

It has perplexed me too as to why certain religions such as Buddhism are associated with suffering so visibly more than others.

Perhaps because it was built on sacrifice not only by the Primary Icon but those around Him. When Gautama left the worldly realm not being able to stay in it any longer, he also abandoned a wife and a young child. I am not connecting any dots here, just sharing what is coming to my mind. Perhaps others can share their thoughts too...

RR

[quote="Mordsith"]Given that there are very few 'fundamentalist' Buddhists causing mayhem in the world, does this mean that it is not a religion?  All the others seem to be having a go![/quote]

theancient_dr

Post by theancient_dr » Sat May 05, 2007 1:45 am

Hell all----

philosophy is a broad term  defined by WORDWEB as the rational investigation of questions about existence and knowledge and ethics

religion is a term used for a specific investigation of some section of philosophy --- Catholic Religion is specific
study of Catholic Philosophy is a much broader investigation

as to the question pertinent to Buddhism - that is a philosophy that has been made a form of religion, but remember there is no belief in a higher being in the Buddhist philosophy --- but the moral values taught are marvelous.........

but, let me add---quickly---- how ever you define the terms is the thing meaningful to you

love to all --------
~†~ LOVE IS THE ANSWER ~†~

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat May 05, 2007 3:22 am

I am sure that was a typo and you meant to type 'hellO' ;-)

It seems to be emerging, lest I am misinterpreting, that in order for Religion to get its badge, there needs to be a deity, a God, whichever way you cut it, a Being higher in hierarchy and capable of controlling us all as well as the creation!

I have no problem with that requirement. The problem I have is that there are so many religions (even talking about just the traditional ones and not every new church that springs to life every so often!

Surely there is something amiss. When Science is beginning to show and confirm that all humans are similar (more similar to other humans than for example to a donkey) whether you look at DNA, number of chromosomes, other factors -- THEN, why are there so many religions each with a different God and some with a whole conglomeration of those?

Philosophy has a better record I suppose. Its purpose is to take the observed and to make sense out of it. Religion, on the other hand, begins with a concept and tries to fit observations into that box. And rather aggressively at times!

RR

[quote="theancient_dr"]Hell all----

philosophy is a broad term  defined by WORDWEB as the rational investigation of questions about existence and knowledge and ethics

religion is a term used for a specific investigation of some section of philosophy --- Catholic Religion is specific
study of Catholic Philosophy is a much broader investigation

as to the question pertinent to Buddhism - that is a philosophy that has been made a form of religion, but remember there is no belief in a higher being in the Buddhist philosophy --- but the moral values taught are marvelous.........

but, let me add---quickly---- how ever you define the terms is the thing meaningful to you

love to all --------[/quote]

theancient_dr

Post by theancient_dr » Mon May 07, 2007 2:40 am

hellooooooooooooooooooooo
thank you RR
yup a typo-------seems i do that often-------
will begin enlarging print to view what i key

the concept of hell
is not one that i endorse
so there is no Freudian meaning underlying the typo-----

in my belief system
religion is whatever one defines it to be
thus each entity has their own religion

accepting or rejecting the belief system
of my brother and sister spirits is not for me

sending you peace and love
~†~ LOVE IS THE ANSWER ~†~

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon May 07, 2007 10:21 pm

Two things:
firstly, often the last one posting to a thread in a linear thread structure like this often gets misunderstood as a proponent of the subject of the thread. I certainly am not he.

Secondly, this is exactly the premise I had in mind when I posted a thread, What is spirituality and what is religion.

My position was/is/perhaps will be is: Religion is a circumscribed spiritual practice that a group follow and adhere to by personal choice or tradition or because their parents told them, etc etc

Spirituality is the personally customized religion which an individual chooses to follow!

I do not believe either has anything to do with there being a god in the framework or not which someone proposed was essential.

Whether there is one god or millions or a highly evolved human being who is godlike, the hierarchy necessary is established and from that point the only difference is whether a group is practicing it identically or individuals are modifying it to suit their needs, conveniences and beliefs.

RR

[quote="theancient_dr"][size=18]hellooooooooooooooooooooo
thank you RR
yup a typo-------seems i do that often-------
will begin enlarging print to view what i key

the concept of hell
is not one that i endorse
so there is no Freudian meaning underlying the typo-----

in my belief system
religion is whatever one defines it to be
thus each entity has their own religion

accepting or rejecting the belief system