The Call

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Jewel Cherie

Post by Jewel Cherie » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:36 am

Have read everyone's discussion in this thread, I feel actually learned a lil more on how people strive for knowledge/wisdom and then strive fervently to impart it to each other as Truth.
Since I was very little, I have often been a listener/watcher/participator of these discussions.
My mother was always involved in new age movements, spiritualism, christianity and so on and I have my mother I guess, to thank for my continued curiousity since her passing 20 years ago.
And yet these few things are how I basically feel....
just a small child and infant learning how to handle the WAVES at the beach! ...there is always so much more than I know today :smt002

one has no journey unless there is a destination.....I suspect there is a reason and purpose for all aspects of my journey...
but destination is unknown always.
I have always loved the book "The Never-ending Story"...life goes on and on :smt002
Some strive to find out the destination, some won't be happy unless they think they have an answer...
my soul doesn't mind, I just trust it will appear when right.

I do know that my MOTHER is with me!!
Before she died, my mother said to me with a hearty laugh(she was a Leo too lol, I was born on her birthday)  "When I'm gone, I'm going to come back and indicate to you that it's me, in ways you won't be able to deny my presence!!"  Well, this has actually happened over and over, especially when I missed her the most..like the birth of my kids, wedding days, deaths of loved ones, and of course my birthday. I don't expect or remember this...it's like she kinda sneaks up on me :smt002
Dare to Dream...

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:42 am

[quote="theancient_dr"]Greetings to you  Rohiniranjan

it is good to meet you here ---

it seems we walk upon this stage in the middle of the play of life
playing our part for this scene
then leaving to come back again and again---

your comments are appreciated

thank you for your considered postions to assist all
perhaps setting them thinking along an avenue as yet untraveled

peace be with you and wiith yours---be well
Poppa[/quote]

Dear Poppa,

I have a weakness for *doctors*, the more ancient the better ;-)
For true healers must first go through the pain themselves. It promotes the development of empathy! Hence in the very ancient past, doctors in training had to take the medicines themselves that they would eventually prescribe to others, thereby to get a first-hand-experience. As medicines and drugs as they were once called (now meaning totally different things!) grew more potent and potentially dangerous, the practice was laid to rest since what good will a dead or crippled doctor do? :-)

Here is something that a 'traveller' through Ancient India once may have expressed which I was in my moments of contemplation many years ago tuning-into ... humbly served for your enjoyment and of other readers who may care to partake of --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Emperor Akbar is said to have been one of the greatest Moghuls to have ever ruled over India. The only one who made a real effort to combine the best of Hinduism and Islaam into what he  called,  DEEN-E-ILAHEE  a world religion of sorts. One of his famous sayings was  Bazaar se guzra hoonh kharidar nahin hoonh  . I am merely a window shopper, passing through this market of life, I do not intend to buy or possess anything from this market. He was a saint, a detatched saint, one of the best Emperors that India ever had, that India could ever have  He was very human too – as the anecdote of Anarkali the dancing girl and her unrequited love affair with Akbar’s son – Jehangir goes in India! And Akbar's very human reaction to this as the story goes! Kings surely wear heavy mantles!!

I dedicate this poem to Shahanshah (Jahanpanah) Jalaluddin Akbar, also spelled Aqbar!
Dazzling neons, flashing signs
enticing, tantalizing, luring
promising pleasures beyond imagination
promising levels unreachable, and
intoxicating tunes of what sounds like love

My feverish brain, forlorn and  thirsty
and my heart, wish I could even reach it
so far from my soul has it gone 'ahead' this time.

Temptations that beckon at me enticingly,
waving their beautifully manicured hands
tickling my desires and touching my fancies
calling me deploringly, to the brink of my disaster.
I fumble helplessly, as demons of desires
grab and clutch at my struggling soul
and pull yearningly at my willling heart.

Anchors I look for but hooks are all I find
as longings of lifetimes, rear their hungry heads
and greed surrounding my soul
reaches an all time high.

Love, She assures me, but is that what this is?
Why then do I feel...
This agonizing pang of loneliness?
Why does it feel so empty when the shops now are all closed
Why do I writhe and pine so,
till 'tis opening time again, tomorrow?

Would I ever get through,
this market of emptiness,
where dazzling packages hold
just the venom of isolation?
Why must I go through this again – and again?
Wasn't I just here before?
Is this a final test or,
merely the beginning, of it all, yet again??

What lies at the end of all this, If KNEW only I that,
perhaps it could have been easier,
to hold on to the loftiness
when karma makes me look again
into this chasm of despair, I never did leave

{updated 2004-08-08)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rohiniranjan

PS: Any astrology buffs reading this, I hope you saw the astro-angle! Logos Astrologikos!

theancient_dr

Post by theancient_dr » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:41 pm

Peace be with you Rohiniranjan

May your day be a blessing to all and you---
Your verse is delightful---my week is started in grand fashion
by the reading
the eraser if memory
during migration to this side of the curtain
-- it seems--
precludes avoidance of many of the same mistakes

for those passions of before attach to us as a spiritual leach

it drains the will
loosing inhibitions

- is this to teach us of why we came again...
the dragon of self flies high , yet low
perhaps it is true -the path unpebbled will teach us nothing
of why we came

sending blessings, peace, and love of spirit===Poppa
~†~ LOVE IS THE ANSWER ~†~

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:01 pm

Jewel Cherie wrote:Have read everyone's discussion in this thread, I feel actually learned a lil more on how people strive for knowledge/wisdom and then strive fervently to impart it to each other as Truth.
:smt002
I am just like you.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:12 am

[quote="sidewalk_bends"][quote="Jewel Cherie"]Have read everyone's discussion in this thread, I feel actually learned a lil more on how people strive for knowledge/wisdom and then strive fervently to impart it to each other as Truth.[/quote]

:smt002[/quote]

While wonderful to travel with a group, for our human gregariousness gives us a feeling of protection when we are with other humans, perhaps an instinct going back to the cave-dwelling times when we quickly recognized that our strength is in numbers and staying close to each other.

However, spiritual journey -- the next phase of the *journey* must be completed in isolation, with innersource as our guide and the journey of the self leading us back to the SELF (all inclusive where little self vanishes and ONENESS ensues.

It is not a journey that needs to be carried out as a packaged tour, available only for a certain time or certain period of time (spring, summer, fall or winter) but is more like a stroll that must daily be carried out and enjoyed. It helps to pick a trail that is surrounded by peace and nature, if such luxury is available but the nature and peacefulness can be provided by strong imagination and visualization. It is best to not sit still but to engage the body and the monkey-mind into some repetitive activity so that it remains occupied while the spirit soars.

Others may have had different ways and modes of covering the same terrain and perhaps even the destination!

RR

Return to “Philosophy”