Elementalism

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

RCDeschene

Elementalism

Post by RCDeschene » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:55 am

I have always been interested in the philosophical concept of the Elements. Here is an essay I have composed about the many Elemental systems there are in this world...

Just about everyone in the world is familiar with the Classical Elements of Fire, Earth, Water and Air. They are the four basic overall substantial forms of matter that compose this great universal existence. In Western Spirituality and Philosophy, many concepts and correspondences have been made in their reference in many practices as Astrology, Numerology, Tarot, etc. In the Eastern and Asian customs there are certain different elements that represent some of these things such as the Chinese elements of Wood and Metal. There are even inclusions of Fifth elements in many philosophies such as the Fifth Japanese element of Void/Sky/Heaven and the general Western & Eastern element of Spirit/Aether. Others would be New Zealand's element of Flora and Bon's Fifth Element of Space. In the Hindu/Buddhist meditative system of the Charka, there is a correspondence to each of the seven Chakras with the elements; four of which are the general Earth, Water, Fire, and Air, with Ether/Life/Sound, Time/Light, and Space/Thought as the other three. In I-Ching with the involvement of the Yin-Yang, the eight Trigram Natures of Aether/Heaven/Sky, Forest/Swamp/Lake, Fire/Flame, Thunder, Wind, Water, Mountain, and Earth are connected to the respective Elementals: Lingam, Water, Sol, Fire, Air, Luna, Earth, and Yoni. There are Hebrew letter in Kabbalah that are referred to as the Twelve elements which are in direct reference to the twelve Sings of the Zodiac.

I myself have preformed some elemental philosophizing of my own and I have some things I would like to share with you all sometime...

Master Po

Post by Master Po » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:43 am

Very interesting RCDeschene. How someone so young can bring philosophical insights is very inspiring.
Life is a Journey, Not a Destination

Metatron

Post by Metatron » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:02 am

Circle of elements in the I Ching tradition

Creation ---From  Fire comes Earth comes Metal comes Water comes Wood comes Fire

Destruction--- Fire melts Metal cuts Wood breaks Earth absorbs Water douses Fire

Then is controling destruction sequence and controling creations sequence e. g. four relationships

Matter going from very dense like metal to pure engery fire

Not to be taken literal, but correlative thinking much like analog for the workings of enzymes.

Points on the compass, sections of the cross etc.

Return to “Philosophy”