Purpose of life

The word "Philosophy" is derived from the Ancient Greek - philosophía (compounded from phílos: friend, or lover and sophía: wisdom). To quote from WikiPedia, "Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of what is the right way to live (ethics), what sorts of things ultimately exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

rajshuk

Purpose of life

Post by rajshuk » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:09 pm

What is life's purpose ? What is your opinion ?

Beeing_of_light

Post by Beeing_of_light » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:54 pm

A wonderful question.

Short said; Life's purpose is the one you give it.

In my opinion life is a wonderful playground where we can learn about ourselves and grow as the unlimited beeings we are.

Life is a stage where we are both the director and the actor and we continuosly keep manifesting the circumstances that we need to grow and develop ourselves.
We manifest our circumstances all the time, unconsiously or consiously, from the feelings and focus we have at any given time.
We can consiously choose to learn from an experience and be aware of our own choices and projections into the world, or we can be as a ship on the ocean with no rudder and travel wherever "life is bringing us", often rejecting our own responsibility, and blaming others, for where we are in life.

So life can be a place of miracles and joy, or it can be filled with misery and "victim"-roles.
One of the purposes of life is to show us that.

Another purpose of life is to show us who we really are.

Light-blessings from Knut, Norway

Rohiniranjan

Re: Purpose of life

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:42 am

[quote="rajshuk"]What is life's purpose ? What is your opinion ?[/quote]

GRATITUDE!

Firstly for being born with so many powerful attributes and freedom (though it may not seem that way at times)!

Secondly for examining what it might have been if we were not born as who we are. In other words, looking at others less fortunate and exercising the power vested in us to help them!!

Thirdly, for experiencing that even when we fall, there is someone to pick us up and dust us off and get us going again. ALMOST ALWAYS he or she looks human, but please do not be fooled!!!

Lastrly, for remembering all of the above vividly, FOREVER!!!!

Rohiniranjan

hitismek

Post by hitismek » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:18 am

Funny question this i sincerely  stand by the idea that life has the purpose you give it but on the other hand I remember being like 10yo and there was like a bolt out of the blue.... a knowing at that moment (no other way of describing it) that my personal purpose in life was simply to learn.... this knowing was soo strong I have never really gotten over the feeling at the time tioo I ran home excited to tell my parents and I told every one that listened

... and looking at my life it has played that way... tis the strangest thing.... I have never had this sensation since...or before

sometimes i wonder if we are given purposes and we know what they are but choose to ignore it for whatever reason (practicality and other) In the end though I think the purpose is and can be a choice

stan

Post by stan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:39 pm

What an important question! Few take the time to even consider! Yes, life is what you perceive it to be and it is what is to you. For those who search even deeper, deeper meanings arise and more questions and we begin to see our lives in a more meaningful way and that of others. We come to understand to allow others to be exactly who they are and allow life to be what it is in the present, rather than trying to manipulate life to our way. We live more trustingly and a peace we have not known begins to ease our worries and burdens. Ultimately, life is a school to prepare us to meet God.

starryskies

Post by starryskies » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:05 pm

I think we are here to learn. learn and learn more!!! Life's purpose is to teach us.

Return to “Philosophy”